44 replies to this topic

#41 casemagnum

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 07:00 AM

So you just called your team a bunch of pansy asses wow

Yes I have and they are. Yes the game has changed but come playoff time the teams willing to get physical have done better than those who have not. SC struggles even during regular season against physical teams. Those physical teams have also had more players move on to the NHL. I will take a physical group of guys all the time.

As for the speed, it is a toss up.

This has been my gripe with Cedar Rapids teams over the past decade.  All kinds of skill and speed but struggle in the playoffs when teams play a much more physical game.

And the league and referees allow it. The post season game is a completely different game. SF wiped SC off the ice 2 years ago with that play. It is being done this year. I have no gripe with the calls if consistent. But teams and fans need to realize it is a different style of play at this time of the year and be prepared for it.

#42 Mr Ricochet

Cup Winning Goalie

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,133 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 04:24 PM

So you just called your team a bunch of pansy asses wow

Yes I have and they are. Yes the game has changed but come playoff time the teams willing to get physical have done better than those who have not. SC struggles even during regular season against physical teams. Those physical teams have also had more players move on to the NHL. I will take a physical group of guys all the time.

As for the speed, it is a toss up.

This has been my gripe with Cedar Rapids teams over the past decade.  All kinds of skill and speed but struggle in the playoffs when teams play a much more physical game.

And the league and referees allow it. The post season game is a completely different game. SF wiped SC off the ice 2 years ago with that play. It is being done this year. I have no gripe with the calls if consistent. But teams and fans need to realize it is a different style of play at this time of the year and be prepared for it.

Case, if you think the Musketeers are getting the short end of calls in the Finals or the refs are letting too much go we'll agree to disagree.  Man I watched the Steel play Ytown and never a peep outa me.   I think the refs have hit about the right balance but in fact I think, and have posted, if you hit a guy really hard you might get whistled no matter how clean.  And if you hit him from the side, not the back, into the boards you're off.  And they haven't called any flops and I've seen many of those. 

For the record SC in the regular season was the least penalized team.   The Steel the 4th least penalized team. 

Crush Em Steel
Blackhawks Rock
RIP Huckleberry. 1995-2009.... Thanks for 14 unforgettable years Huck. You will forever be loved and missed.

#43 casemagnum

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 05:11 PM

Mr. R. not saying SC has got the short end of calls in this series. In the Waterloo series yes. There was always 1 referee in each game that refused to call any penalty against Waterloo but would blow the whistle on SC. Other ref would work both ways. In the SC/Chicago series it has been decent other than the blatant throwing of the SC stick in game 1 in wide open ice in front of the net with just the 2 players involved. My post was to reflect that in playoffs the whistle is blown a lot less. Physical play is allowed a lot more and the refs will look the other way a lot more. SF and Waterloo have used this to their advantage against SC and now Chicago is. If you don't agree that is fine. But there is a lot more hits and a lot more grabbing that goes on in the playoffs without a whistle.

#44 Mr Ricochet

Cup Winning Goalie

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,133 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 05:41 PM

Absolutely more clutch, grab, obstruct, pick, interfere, hits (usually) in the playoffs at any level and as you say many times not whistled.  Generally I'm a guy who says call it the same for both teams and I'm ok, be consistent.   

But, a GM builds his club to be a certain kind of club, play a certain way, and there are times that it works against you come playoff time.  No doubt if you're a speed/skill club and come playoff time all kinds of obstruction is allowed that hurts that club...... I do think though in the USHL if you destroy a guy clean 75% chance you're whistled for it and IMO that sucks. 

I'm ok with the theory that speed/skill is better for the game, makes for more beautiful hockey and attracts more fans.  That said I wait for the day the playoffs are called in a way that allows that kind of hockey to shine through.  But I really think the refs have done fine in the Steel's 3 series' so far. 

Case, you coming to Chicago?   Or any other Musketeer fan?   If so I'd love to meet up and maybe even sit near each other.   I have a feeling the joint is gonna be full.   Steel are going all out.   On Friday a band (School of Rock), Blackhawks' Jim Cornielson sings the anthem and youth hockey players get a deal on tix.   Dare I say the Chicago Steel are gonna have a home ice advantage due to the crowd?    

Crush Em Steel
Blackhawks Rock
RIP Huckleberry. 1995-2009.... Thanks for 14 unforgettable years Huck. You will forever be loved and missed.

#45 casemagnum

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 06:54 AM

Unfortunately I am not able to attend but will be at the watch party at BWW that SC is having. There are fans attending. Some day I will be able to come to Chicago but this time, the schedule would not allow me.

I just wish they would ref the game the same all season. Had a long talk about that last weekend with a USHL regular during a game and we talked about specific parts of a game. We talked a lot about the Chicago player in the crease when it happened and why goal was still allowed.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users