Clark Cup Final

44 replies to this topic

#21 rustictimber06

2nd Line Center

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 05:39 PM

Last Week  in Dubuque ,I swear Chicago had a play by player guy ,Does the Steel have a Live Feed

#22 iowaninja

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 867 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 05:48 PM

Looks like Iowa Wild U16 goalie Trent Burnham will be in uniform for the Steel tonight as well

#23 Mr Ricochet

Cup Winning Goalie

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,666 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 05:48 PM

Last Week  in Dubuque ,I swear Chicago had a play by player guy ,Does the Steel have a Live Feed

Oh, yea.   Rob Sanderson is the PBP man does a great job.   http://www.chicagost...m.com/broadcast

Crush Em Steel
Blackhawks Rock
RIP Huckleberry. 1995-2009.... Thanks for 14 unforgettable years Huck. You will forever be loved and missed.

#24 Mr Ricochet

Cup Winning Goalie

• Admin
  • 36,666 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 05:49 PM

College Hockey Inc   USHL title comes down to Chicago vs. Sioux City, two teams filled with future NCAA talent.

Crush Em Steel
Blackhawks Rock
RIP Huckleberry. 1995-2009.... Thanks for 14 unforgettable years Huck. You will forever be loved and missed.

#25 Mr Ricochet

Cup Winning Goalie

• Admin
  • 36,666 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 06:16 PM

USHL and 3 others liked

C_4ZIWLWsAA7Xfr.jpg
1 reply 22 retweets 56 likes

Crush Em Steel
Blackhawks Rock

#26 Mr Ricochet

Cup Winning Goalie

• Admin
  • 36,666 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 06:17 PM

SiouxCity Musketeers @Musketeerhockey 7h7 hours ago

Good news #MusketeerNation if can't make it to the games this weekend we will be having watch parties BOTH NIGHTS at BWW #OurTime

C_4qgeZU0AAp12B.jpg
0 replies 4 retweets 8 likes

Crush Em Steel
Blackhawks Rock

#27 DM47

Cup Winning Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 985 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 07:21 PM

Chicago is doing some major promoting. Got Cornelius to sing the anthem. Blackhawks tweeted them earlier, free tickets for youth hockey players. Hope they get a full house to see some great hockey.

#28 casemagnum

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 813 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 10:26 AM

Mr. R. you had asked about a SC fan's perspective of the 2 first games. I wanted to wait a few days and see what was said by others. Not much. Also wanted to wait and let things cool down.

I really was surprised with the Stezka and other Chicago D announcement about contracts. Where there is smoke there is fire. Heard Kivlenieks was upset as he also had been talking to the same team as Stezka and did not sign as he was afraid of eligibility. Good thing. Wilson got hurt in game 1 and could be out for rest of playoffs. That is huge losing your captain. SC had a chance to bury Chicago on Friday night in that particular game and did not. No killer instinct and they have not had that all this year. Guys are not physical and will not hit back or initiate a big open ice hit. SC is too small of a team. Their roster heights listed are not even close. Waterloo and Chicago are much bigger and faster!!!! They like to hit. I think the Chicago coaching staff took notes from SC's last playoff run from 2 years ago against SF. HIt SC and keep hitting them and they will get frustrated and back down. This coaching staff takes it too easy on the players. Giving them too Sundays or Mondays off from practice. Have a bad performance on a one game week on a Friday, that is ok, take off till Tuesday. Definitely miss the old coaches of Ferguson, Sicilano, and even Omaha's Hastings. If the players can't compete, then they need the conditioning and practice. 

Chicago has a very fast team as well. They break the puck out of the zone quickly and take it at the other team. Rarely hold it behind their net like SC likes to do. Chicago cycles the puck a lot and players are kept moving. SC sets up outside the perimeter in their zone and passes, then holds, then passes, then holds, etc. the puck. Guys have been standing around too much. Chicago is quick, crisp passes. Their forwards like to collapse down and help the D and help their goaltender by plugging up the lanes. I really like your captain Johnstone!!!! He is a big kid that can skate and handle the puck. He does however like to jaw at the other team just like SC's Pospisil. They both can get under the other team's skin. Guys you like on your team and hate on the other team. The one guy I don't like for Chicago is Karashik. He does a lot of cheap shots when the ref is not looking and after the whistle and to the head a lot. There was a huge no call or missed call in game 1 when SC was clearing the zone and I think it was Chicago's Johnstone that got tangled with a SC player and took his stick and threw it. That definitely should have been a penalty. Otherwise yes a few missed calls each way and a few give me calls each way but still fairly even.

SC when bringing it out of the zone, needs to quit the stupid dump passes back in. That is going to cost them a goal or 2 yet when they miss. They need to take more shots. There were many open shot opportunities not taken in Saturday's game. Yes I know the goalie was not screened but at least take the shot and try for the rebound and crash the net. They need to get Chicago turned around looking for the puck. Instead SC has always been looking. Chicago will have 2 guys on 1 of ours and we cannot find the open man. Chicago is taking it in until they get stopped, then they have a trailer following who picks up the puck and then takes the shot or passes to the open man. 

SC's foreigners are standing around too much. And I mean actually standing there on the ice, not willing to engage in the play. The fans are hollering almost to the point of like in the old TOP GUN movie when Maverick gets back in the play and Goose is telling him to engage. They just won't. Then when they do get the puck they are trying to circle all the way down along the boards, behind the net, and bring it back up the boards to start over instead of passing. SC needs to move their feet and quit standing in one place. It is almost as if they are being told, "Stand here and do not move until I tell you or you get the puck and then you can move." Very frustrating. 

SC's players are not as big as they are listed. Kivlenieks and Pospisil are the 2 exceptions. However Chicago and Waterloo are both big and fast teams. Nothing against the little guys but that is one of my pet peeves. Normally Omaha and Lincoln are the ones who have big, fast players and do extremely well with them. Chicago players are a lot bigger and more physical than SC. I thought before the series that SC would get the series in 4 games. However after Friday I thought it could be Chicago in 4. If Chicago wins Friday, I look for SC to pack it up on Saturday. SC needs to change their game plan big time. SC was playing really good the 1st 10 minutes in Saturday's game but when Chicago got the 2 scores, it was over! Scott deserved to be put in for Kivlenieks. He did well against Chicago. He played them to a 2-1 game in each game this year I believe. The first was his very first game with SC and had only been with the team on the bus trip there. The 2nd was on parents' weekend. Thought maybe Chicago wouldn't know how to play Kivlenieks but they scouted him well. SC is very lacking on D.

Lots of more thoughts but will save for later. Or ask away.

On a side note the video you see on hockey tv is the same we see on the big screen at the TEC. The video there is always very good. I do understand about the time and score concern. Maybe call the front office or RVP productions who does the video. Kevin who is in charge of it, is really a good guy and looking for ways to always make it better. They also are trying to get new faster internet into TEC to upgrade a few things.

#29 Maiden

2nd Line Center

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 10:55 AM

Are the Pittsburgh Penguins and Chicago Blackhawks physical teams?  I don't think so. And they have how many cups between them the past 10 years?

#30 captamer7

3nd Line Center

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 02:16 PM

Good point Maiden.

Both teams deserve to win the Clark Cup because of their amazing seasons. May the best team win.

Edited by captamer7, 16 May 2017 - 03:50 PM.

#31 blackhawk64

Checking Forward

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 05:21 PM

So you just called your team a bunch of pansy asses wow

#32 Mr Ricochet

Cup Winning Goalie

• Admin
  • 36,666 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 06:19 PM

Nice Case, love getting perspective from the other side.  Thanks.................Jotted a couple things down.

If I'm SC my biggest worry is their Dzone coverage.   The Steel have way too many lanes to pass through and way too many players getting a pass unmarked in high danger areas.   Also the coverage is way too loose in the crease.  This from a team that allowed the least amount of GPG in the regular season.........Admittadely I don't see a lot of SC hockey, cuz of the SD feed, but there is no way you end up the top GA team with the Dzone coverage I've seen the last two games.  The missed assignments have to glare on film and I'm guessing that'll be addressed for Game 3. 

Right now the Steel are as dialed in and focused as I've seen all year.   They are hitting on all 12 cylinders and to allow a weak side guy to go unmarked AND a lane to get the puck to him is gonna get you a loss.  No goalie stops that regularly.   This needs fixed or you'll need to win 5-4 or 6-5 like Game 1. 

To add to that I think Muse tries to confuse the opponent's coverage in their zone.   Just like the Blackhawks a Dman will dive and circle in the Ozone even if he's not a target he's another guy that needs to be accounted for and that throws teams' coverages/assignments off even at the NHL level.   It can and does break down defensive structure and opens guys up and I think Steel players with the puck are coached to look for blown assignments.  .........Pressuring the puck to take away time and space can help answer that but if that's not your system it's hard to master in a short time.   But again, IMO Varady will have an answer.

I agree 100% about SC the first 10 minutes of Game 2, and posted so during the game.   Posted they were tighter and less frantic (structured).   Whatever they were doing they need to watch on film 10 times and duplicate that.  

Getting the opposing Dmen to turn.  Indeed that works at every level.  But you give up possession and have to retrieve the puck to make that work.

Varady said after the game that Stezka saw too many pucks and I agreed and added too many one and dones.  There has to be more, more options and more urgency.

One thing I noticed in Game 2 was SC concentrate on using their speed wide against the Steel Dmen.   Worked a few times and I expect more of that but that player needs support in the form of an option to drop to or a player crashing the net.   A  Micah Miller/Knies looking play. 

Wilson.  Did you see the play where his leg got funky on him v Loo?   I posted that very minute I wonder if this will effect him for the Finals?   It buckled and he fell on it awkwardly............ Yes, losing him is huge especially in light of my thinking that SC's biggest concern is their in zone coverage.  ........ But let me add the Steel have two starting Dmen out and have gone with 5 Dman for almost the whole of the playoffs.  And give Steel management credit.   At the TDL instead of looking for a point a game guy they moved a very very good power forward in Walker Duehr and got another Dman in Mirageas when big time prospect Reilly Walsh was due back from the MN State playoffs (he came for 2-3 games and went home) and they've lost Dmen Aamodt and Regula to injury before the playoffs making the Mirageas get even bigger.    You just can't have enough Dmen in the playoffs.

Karashik.   This guy is my favorite Steel, he of 9 points in 52 games.  Couple sequences will tell you why.   Kid was out for 10ish games with an injury and came back mid series vs Ytown.  Very first shift he delivers a big check mid ice at the boards, told me he's healthy.  Then still in the 1st period Steel in the attack zone.  He's at the point, challenges a player at the wall to keep a puck alive, a kinda scrum ensues and the Steel keep the puck in the zone.  Karashik immediately skates of while play is going on holding his arm.   I'm thinking nooooo, no the kid has reinjured himself.   Watched him on the bench hunched over as the trainer and a coach are talking to and working on him. 

NEXT shift he's out for a Dzone draw.   Puck moves around and the beastly Regerrio winds up at the high circle and Karashik skates up to challenge the shot and goes down to a knee and blocks the thing with his upper body!!   This is a blood and guts guy every team needs.  ........Yes he's chippy but IMO he's not dirty.  I never see him try to injure but he will try and annihilate.   My kinda guy. 

Johnstone.   I always thought my guy Badini was being held back by Johnstone, costing him points and chances.  But as the season wore on I see what Muse saw way before me.  Johnstone is a more skilled (not overly so though) and less gritty version of Karahik IMO.  He doesn't stand out but at games end you found yourself saying nice play 10 times about the guy.  More IQ and grit than skill, great forechecker who I always thought needed to be more physical. 

Can't wait to see these two battle live and see the whole surface. 

Crush Em Steel
Blackhawks Rock

#33 hockeyboy

Cup Winning Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 06:23 PM

He has been saying this for years. The game has changed.

#34 Mr Ricochet

Cup Winning Goalie

• Admin
  • 36,666 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 06:25 PM

Are the Pittsburgh Penguins and Chicago Blackhawks physical teams?  I don't think so. And they have how many cups between them the past 10 years?

The Pens play the body!  They were very physical in last year's playoffs and this year too.  Had 50 hits in last night's battle of attrition vs Ottawa......... But I do agree you can win without being overly physical as the Blackhawks have shown in winning 3 cups, but their first cup before cap hell they were a physical group.   Play the way you were built as a team but do so every shift with urgency.

You know it's not often a player is called physical when he goes to the net and takes a beating, battles 100% along the wall or wins a puck 5-10 feet from his goalie.   I do and think there is more to playing physical than throwing the body.   Playing with grit and urgency is a form of physicality IMO. 

Crush Em Steel
Blackhawks Rock

#35 Mr Ricochet

Cup Winning Goalie

• Admin
  • 36,666 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 06:30 PM

Curious, does anyone think Chicago is faster than SC in foot speed?  I won't have a good opinion until I see em live but I'd guess no they just play faster.  When you come out with structure and hit guys tape to tape and have a support wave you look and play a lot faster than your skating speed would allow. 

Crush Em Steel
Blackhawks Rock

#36 Maiden

2nd Line Center

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 06:42 PM

Curious, does anyone think Chicago is faster than SC in foot speed?  I won't have a good opinion until I see em live but I'd guess no they just play faster.  When you come out with structure and hit guys tape to tape and have a support wave you look and play a lot faster than your skating speed would allow. 

After seeing both teams multiple times this year I'd call it pretty even.

#37 Mr Ricochet

Cup Winning Goalie

• Admin
  • 36,666 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 07:00 PM

USHL Site   Game 3 Preview

Crush Em Steel
Blackhawks Rock

#38 Mr Ricochet

Cup Winning Goalie

• Admin
  • 36,666 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 07:05 PM

Looks like the Steel are gonna have a band play before the game along with Jim Cornelison sing the National Anthem.

#SteelTheCupVerified account @ChicagoSteel 4h4 hours ago

1st 1,500 fans get a #SteelTheCup Rally Towel! School of Rock performs 6-7p & Jim Cornelison will sing nat'l anthem! http://Tickets.ChicagoSteelHockeyTeam.com 

C_-g1EUV0AA449L.jpg
1 reply 1 retweet 4 likes

Crush Em Steel
Blackhawks Rock

#39 casemagnum

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 813 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 09:53 PM

Yes I have and they are. Yes the game has changed but come playoff time the teams willing to get physical have done better than those who have not. SC struggles even during regular season against physical teams. Those physical teams have also had more players move on to the NHL. I will take a physical group of guys all the time.

As for the speed, it is a toss up.

#40 herbst20

Cup Winning Goalie

• Admin
  • 3,642 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 10:36 PM

Yes I have and they are. Yes the game has changed but come playoff time the teams willing to get physical have done better than those who have not. SC struggles even during regular season against physical teams. Those physical teams have also had more players move on to the NHL. I will take a physical group of guys all the time.

As for the speed, it is a toss up.

This has been my gripe with Cedar Rapids teams over the past decade.  All kinds of skill and speed but struggle in the playoffs when teams play a much more physical game.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users