Sign in to follow this  
desmoinesduster

2017 Tryout Camps

desmoinesduster

Some camps start as early as next weekend so I thought I'd start this up.

http://www.ushl.com/page/show/1209138-team-tryouts (Incomplete; Sioux City is not listed)

Main Camps:

Bloomington Thunder - June 8-11 - Leafs Ice Center

Cedar Rapids Roughriders - June 1-4 - Cedar Rapids Ice Arena............................. (complete)

Chicago Steel - June 9-12 - Fox Valley Ice Arena

Des Moines Buccaneers - June 1-4 - Buccaneer Arena............................................ (complete)

Dubuque Fighting Saints - June 6-10 - Mystique Community Ice Center

Fargo Force - June 4-7 - Most likely Scheels Arena

Green Bay Gamblers - June 11-15 - Resch Center

Lincoln Stars - June 7-11 - John Breslow Ice Hockey Center

Madison Capitols - June 12-16 - Bob Suter's Capitol Ice Arena

Muskegon Lumberjacks - May 25-28 - LC Walker Arena and Events Center............ (complete)

Omaha Lancers - June 1-4 - Ralston Arena............................................................... (complete)

Sioux City Musketeers - June 12-18 - St. Louis

Sioux Falls Stampede - June 10-13 - Scheels IcePlex

Tri-City Storm - June 11-17 - Las Vegas Ice Center

Waterloo Black Hawks - Various Camps between July 27-August 16 - Young Arena

Youngstown Phantoms - June 2-4 - The Ice Zone ........................................................(complete)

Not sure which camps are open/closed to the public. Des Moines has been open to the public in past years.

Edited by Mr Ricochet

herbst20

Cedar Rapids is open to the public.

Yeti

Lincoln's also is open to the public. I would think most are....but not sure.

DM47

I know Fargo's is usually open. They have the exposure camp that starts June 2nd. All camps will be at Scheels Arena on the Farmers Union Rink.

BackCheck

As far as I know, the Phantoms camp has always been open to the public.

MuskiesFan4Ever

FYI...

For Sioux City...

- The 2017 Futures and Main camps will be held this year in St. Louis, MO from June 12th-18th.

- The 40 Man Orientation Camp will be held in Sioux City from July 24th-27th at the IBP Ice Center.

A little different this year for the Muskies... in the past the Futures/Main camps were held in Sioux City and the Orientation camp was elsewhere.

Edited by MuskiesFan4Ever

omalancers

Omaha's camp is open to public.

MuskiesFan4Ever

The Musketeers' Futures/Main camp has always been open to the public... I assume it will still be again this year, if you want to travel to St Louis.

The Orientation Camp being held in Sioux City from July 24th-27th at the IBP Ice Center is open to the public although, from my understanding, it appears the front office has decided to charge spectators $5 which is something new. In past camps the only time they charged spectators was for the "All-Star" game at the end of camp, which they donated to the local youth hockey org. Not sure if that is the case this time or not. I gotta have my hockey fix to get me through the summer so I'll be there no matter... it is what it is I guess. LOL

i-pod

Muskegon's has always been open to the public!

utgotye

Sioux Falls is open to public. I will try to post rosters like I did last year.

The Original Zman

I don't think the Saints organization announced the actual dates of their tryout camp yet, but the Mystique Community Ice Center has June 6 - 10 blocked out for the camp. And the camp has always been open to the public. Not sure if there are plans to change that this season. I would assume not.

Edited by The Original Zman

herbst20

I will be at Cedar Rapids camp all day on Friday, but unfortunately that will be it. I will try to get a report up sometime next weekend

Mr Ricochet

I will be at Cedar Rapids camp all day on Friday, but unfortunately that will be it. I will try to get a report up sometime next weekend

Love the camps. Steel will have theirs the following weekend. Somehow they intertwine main camp with the futures camp. Lotta hockey in those few days.......

Great job on this thread by the way, Duster. Very nicely done and very helpful.

omalancers

Surprised to see former lancer goalie Zach Driscoll at Omahas camp.

BackCheck

I was at the Phantoms camp yesterday for a bit. I only saw about half the players but will be heading to both all star games. I have the full roster, but it's supposed to be super-secret and I don't want to get my source(s) in trouble. Maybe at a later date. Pretty much no surprises though. A lot of raw talent to be sure, but we'll need to get a lot of young defensemen up to USHL speed quickly after the selections are made.

herbst20

I was only able to attend 1 day (Yesterday) of Cedar Rapids camp, but here are a few players that jumped out to me who were not returners.

97's

Brendan Gysbers (Free Agent) Shreveport NAHL. Solid 2 way Defenseman with good size (6'1 190) Not flashy by any means but a good defender and gets pucks on net. Played for new Associate Head Coach Francis Anzalone last year. Was a late addition to the camp.

98's

Connor Murphy (Draft Pick) Goalie Springfield Pics (USPHL) Big goalie 6'4 who is a butterfly goalie. Tracks the puck well and has the athleticism to go post to post, Assuming CR brings 3 goalies into fall camp, I expect him to be one

Austin Park (Draft Pick) Goalie Minot NAHL. A bit undersized but technically sound goalie. Moves very well and tracked the puck through screens really well. I would expect him to be on the 30 man roster

Brian Chambers (Free Agent) Boston Advantage U18 Speedy winger who twice intercepted a pass at the blue line and races in for a breakaway goal. Dont know if he will make the team but damn his speed impressed me.

John Roberts ( Free Agent) Shreveport (NAHL) Small but very athletic goalie. The kids compete level is top notch. He sprawled out and made a few jaw dropping saves. Would guess he is 1 of 3 goalies in the running for a spot this year

99’s

Spencer Denbeste (Draft Pick) Springfield NAHL. Good size LW who has nose for the open areas of the offensive zone. Good compete level. 8 pts in 12 games after call up to NAHL. Left handed shot.

Graham Slaggert ( Draft Pick) NTDP U18- One of the if not the best forward on the ice. Spilt the 2 games I saw between Center and LW. Kid can fly and effortless skater. Nice goal on a 2 on 1 down the left wing and fired low blocker. Heavy and Accurate shot. Father is Associate Head coach of Notre Dame where Graham is committed

Neil Shea (Draft Pick) Lawrence Academy Northeastern Recruit. One of my favorite forwards in camp. Great vision on the ice and is a pass 1st kid. Left Handed shot who played a gritty sandpaper style game. Power Forward type with good size (6’1 185) Brothers have played DI and Major Junior Hockey

Will Zmolek (Draft Pick) Minnesota Wilderness Brother of last year’s Captain Riese. Good size 6’3 200. Shutdown type defenseman . Decent skater

‘00

Cal Dybicz (Affiliate) Milwaukee Jr Admirals I said last year that he might have been the steal of the Phase I draft. Cedar Rapids got him with a 10th round pick. The kid is smooth and very confident with the puck. Very good skater who makes good outlet passes. Only a 2000 but I have him making the roster in my head. Only knock I see is he needs to get stronger.

Jordan Tonelli (Affiliate) Taft Prep School Has made nice improvements since last year. Good skater and a strong kid. Son of former NHL John Tonelli. Likes the puck on his stick and makes good zone entry carries. Would guess he remains affiliated and spends another year at Taft, although he was drafted in the NCDC

Jack Millar (Draft Pick) Rocky Mountain Roughriders U16. Big Defenseman 6’4 190 with the frame to support 20 more pounds. Skates really well for a big kid. Makes good decisions with the puck. Sign an NAHL tender. I would expect he spends a year there and joins Cedar Rapids the following year.

Josh Bohlin ( Draft Pick) Wausau West High School. Coming off a great Central Districts camp where he was selected for the Select 17 camp, he continued that play here. Strong kid (6’2 185) Nose for the net where he had 2 goals and a couple assists in the 2 games I saw him play. Bubble kid for me whether he is rostered or affiliated.

Harrison Roy (Affiliate) Loomis Chaffee High Hockey IQ kid who made plays all over the ice. Had 2 goals and an assist in the games I saw. Lanky kid who has the frame to add weight. Maine Commit. Again another bubble kid whether they bring him in or affiliate him for another year.

Grant Silianoff (Draft Pick) Shattuck St Marys Love this kid. You couldn’t tell he was an 01 going against some of the other kids. Good skater, lacks top end speed. Pure goal scorer with a quick release and accurate shot. I would assume taking him 1st overall that he will be in Cedar Rapids this year. Notre Dame Commit.

Mitch Miller (Draft Pick) Honeybaked U16. Made the switch to Defense this year. Miller has huge upside and is very poise with the puck. Looks to jump in the rush when he can and picks his spot well. Looked a bit shell shocked to start but settled in nicely. Miami commit

Derek Mullahy (Draft Pick) Goalie from Shattuck St Marys. I think he is the goalie of the future for the Riders. Big kid 6’1 who moves well. Another kid whose play was well beyond his years. Will go to Dexter Prep next year.

hang10

I think Jack Millar was at the WHL combine...but I'll check.

No it was Brownell I was thinking of from the Roughriders AAA

Edited by hang10

Mr Ricochet

thanks, herby...........

The RoughRiders do not have to give the United States Hockey League a preliminary summer roster until July.

Hopefully someone will file this in their cranial archive. Anyone know how many are on a preliminary roster?

Mr Ricochet

Nice write up Herbie.

Sure is a good write up. Herby, all those kids make the final 40? ..... Those 01 Dmen are big. A couple 6ft+ 200lb. ...... Anyone you saw performed better than his draft slot?..........You comfortable starting the season with any of the goalies you saw?

Maiden

thanks, herby...........

The RoughRiders do not have to give the United States Hockey League a preliminary summer roster until July.

Hopefully someone will file this in their cranial archive. Anyone know how many are on a preliminary roster?

30 on preliminary roster and 18 on affiliate list (10 01's, 6 00's, 2 99's) 48 total players

herbst20

Nice write up Herbie.

Sure is a good write up. Herby, all those kids make the final 40? ..... Those 01 Dmen are big. A couple 6ft+ 200lb. ...... Anyone you saw performed better than his draft slot?..........You comfortable starting the season with any of the goalies you saw?

Yes I was told all of these guys made the top 40. I wasnt able to attend and I was told they did not release the rosters for the Top 40. I would say Neil Shea was a guy that out played his draft slot: Drafted in the 15th Round of the Phase II. Good player and I am hoping he makes the team. I am never comfortable with starting a season without and USHL experience in net. It was nice to see a Big goalie (Connor Murphy) in camp though.