Posted 01 August 2017 - 08:39 AM

It is 100% accurate. It has been confirmed by multiple sources now

#22 Maiden

1st Line Center

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 01 August 2017 - 08:42 AM

So Donovan was offered the spot prior to Haan? Or there is a second player who has left the program and a spot has open up for him to turn down?

#23 MuskegonFan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 01 August 2017 - 08:52 AM

Hearing Dubuque affiliate Ryder Donovan was offered and turned down a spot on the NTDP. He will return to Duluth East this year

Wow, that speaks to the draw of MN HS hockey.  Skipping a chance to develop playing an NTDP schedule that includes 30ish USHL games, 30+ games vs NCAA D1 and international competition says much.

I get that MN HS hockey isn't on the same level as average HS hockey but man a decision like this really seems short sighted.  Maybe the draw of living at home and playing with friends has something to do with it.

#24 herbst20

Cup Winning Goalie

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 01 August 2017 - 09:11 AM

So Donovan was offered the spot prior to Haan? Or there is a second player who has left the program and a spot has open up for him to turn down?

That I am not sure. I am just positive he was offered a spot.

#25 Mr Ricochet

Cup Winning Goalie

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,285 posts

Posted 01 August 2017 - 11:50 AM

Hearing Dubuque affiliate Ryder Donovan was offered and turned down a spot on the NTDP. He will return to Duluth East this year

Wow, that speaks to the draw of MN HS hockey.  Skipping a chance to develop playing an NTDP schedule that includes 30ish USHL games, 30+ games vs NCAA D1 and international competition says much.

I get that MN HS hockey isn't on the same level as average HS hockey but man a decision like this really seems short sighted.  Maybe the draw of living at home and playing with friends has something to do with it.

I'm sure staying at home and going to the same HS with no real life change is appealing to many.  I can certainly understand that.   There is no way a kid is a better player after the season playing HS hockey as opposed to NTDP or just with a USHL club but if he already has an NCAA commitment and isn't concerned whether or not his draft stock falls from playing HS hockey why not stay home? 

Crush Em Steel
Blackhawks Rock
RIP Huckleberry. 1995-2009.... Thanks for 14 unforgettable years Huck. You will forever be loved and missed.

#26 Maiden

1st Line Center

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 01 August 2017 - 12:16 PM

I'm sure staying at home and going to the same HS with no real life change is appealing to many.  I can certainly understand that.   There is no way a kid is a better player after the season playing HS hockey as opposed to NTDP or just with a USHL club but if he already has an NCAA commitment and isn't concerned whether or not his draft stock falls from playing HS hockey why not stay home? 

^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

#27 redwing77

Checking Forward

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 01 August 2017 - 04:54 PM

For the record, Ryder just committed to UND...

#28 Canarse

Checking Forward

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 01 August 2017 - 06:37 PM

There has been some less than positive stories coming out of NTDP over the past 12 months.  I can see how it would make a family think twice if they were in a good place.