Sign in to follow this  
smalt21

Returners ------- Dubuque

Maiden    2
Maiden

Hearing Dubuque affiliate Ryder Donovan was offered and turned down a spot on the NTDP. He will return to Duluth East this year

Wow, that speaks to the draw of MN HS hockey. Skipping a chance to develop playing an NTDP schedule that includes 30ish USHL games, 30+ games vs NCAA D1 and international competition says much.

I get that MN HS hockey isn't on the same level as average HS hockey but man a decision like this really seems short sighted. Maybe the draw of living at home and playing with friends has something to do with it.

I'm sure staying at home and going to the same HS with no real life change is appealing to many. I can certainly understand that. There is no way a kid is a better player after the season playing HS hockey as opposed to NTDP or just with a USHL club but if he already has an NCAA commitment and isn't concerned whether or not his draft stock falls from playing HS hockey why not stay home?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

redwing77    0
redwing77

Hearing Dubuque affiliate Ryder Donovan was offered and turned down a spot on the NTDP. He will return to Duluth East this year

Wow, that speaks to the draw of MN HS hockey. Skipping a chance to develop playing an NTDP schedule that includes 30ish USHL games, 30+ games vs NCAA D1 and international competition says much.

I get that MN HS hockey isn't on the same level as average HS hockey but man a decision like this really seems short sighted. Maybe the draw of living at home and playing with friends has something to do with it.

I'm sure staying at home and going to the same HS with no real life change is appealing to many. I can certainly understand that. There is no way a kid is a better player after the season playing HS hockey as opposed to NTDP or just with a USHL club but if he already has an NCAA commitment and isn't concerned whether or not his draft stock falls from playing HS hockey why not stay home?

For the record, Ryder just committed to UND...

Canarse    2
Canarse

There has been some less than positive stories coming out of NTDP over the past 12 months. I can see how it would make a family think twice if they were in a good place.