D  Aiden Fulp

G  Evan Fear

#2 OutdoorJoe

Points Leader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 672 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 02:56 PM

In an article in todays local newspaper it was reported as many as 11 players could be returning in the fall.  The players listed in the article are as follows:

"Lammers' successor figures to inherit a strong nucleus, with as many as 11 players returning in the fall."

F    Alex Steeves

F    Quinn Preston

F    Scott Corbett

F    Michael Boyle

F    Tyce Thompson

F    Cole Guttman

D    Jacob Semik

D    Brendan Bushey

D    Aiden Fulp

G    Jaxon Castor

G    Evan Fear

"The fluidity of that list depends on summer moves by NCAA Division I programs"

#IVORYTOWER

#3 Saints Fan 22

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 761 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 03:19 PM

Saints also do not have a 2nd, or 3rd round pick, but have a bunch of picks in the 6th-7th round.   Would not be surprised to see them taking a goalie with their 1st round pick, depending on who is available, cause Im going to guess Castor will not be back.  

#4 Saints Fan 22

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 761 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 08:07 AM

In an article in todays local newspaper it was reported as many as 11 players could be returning in the fall.  The players listed in the article are as follows:

"Lammers' successor figures to inherit a strong nucleus, with as many as 11 players returning in the fall."

F    Alex Steeves

F    Quinn Preston

F    Scott Corbett

F    Michael Boyle

F    Tyce Thompson

F    Cole Guttman

D    Jacob Semik

D    Brendan Bushey

D    Aiden Fulp

G    Jaxon Castor

G    Evan Fear

"The fluidity of that list depends on summer moves by NCAA Division I programs"

Per the TH this morning, its this same list of guys, with the possibility of Casey Staum returning for a 2nd season, right now that is up in the air.   Pretty good group to see back, if Staum comes back, could be a fantastic defensive group, and you have a couple point producers with Guttman and Preston, really expecting Steeves to make a big contribution next year, his game really grew as the season went on.  

#5 tpriest

Checking Forward

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts
  • Interests:Dubuque Fighting Saints

Posted 11 May 2017 - 09:29 AM

From the TH Newspaper in Dubuque....

Alex Steeves wants his teammates and Fighting Saints fans to expect the winning ways to continue in Dubuque next season.

Steeves, a forward committed to Notre Dame, will be one of as many as 12 returning veterans in Dubuque this fall. They will try to extend Dubuque’s string of 30-victory seasons and playoff berths of seven straight years, figures unmatched in the USHL since 2010-11.

“This year’s team had such a youthful presence on it and yet we proved a lot of people wrong and made it all the way to the conference final,” Steeves said. “That’s a testament to the guys we had in the room and the talent we had in the room. And with the number of those guys we’ll have back, the fans and the players should be really excited about what Dubuque’s going to put forth next season.”

The Saints returned only five players from last season’s Clark Cup Final team and shook off a slow start to finish 36-17-7, take fourth place overall and reach the conference final for the sixth time in seven seasons. All five of those veterans — forwards Zach Solow, Colin Theisen, Dallas Gerads, Cole Guttman and goaltender Jaxon Castor — went from role players the previous season to key contributors in 2016-17, and Dubuque will need a similar jump from next year’s group of returners.

“It all starts in the summer,” said Solow, a lightly regarded prospect in September who became the USHL’s leading point producer and Forward of the Year. “I put in a ton of work last summer, I believed in myself, and I brought that to Dubuque in the fall. It doesn’t matter what anyone else thinks as long as you believe in yourself.”

Dubuque will have a new head coach and general manager with the departure of Jason Lammers to Niagara University. But his replacement will inherit a roster loaded with veterans.

Guttman will lead the way up front after tallying 54 points in 53 games, while Quinn Preston (35 points), Steeves (18 points) and Michael Boyle plan to be back after contributing this season. Scott Corbett joined the team in the second half from the NAHL, and affiliates list player Tyce Thompson gained valuable experience in Dubuque after his prep school season ended.

The Saints figure to have one of the USHL’s top defense corps with the return of Jacob Semik, Brendan Bushy, promising affiliates list player Aidan Fulp and possibly Casey Staum, who is contemplating another year in the USHL. Castor and Evan Fear plan to return, so the team did not select any goaltenders in the recent drafts.

“We had unbelievable leaders who made us into a band of brothers this year and, because of that, what we accomplished this year was something special,” Bushy said. “The guys we have coming back are leaders. All of us. And we learned this year what it takes on and off the ice. What we learned this year, especially in the playoffs, we’ll use to our advantage next year.”

Lammers hopes both Thompson and Fulp follow in the footsteps of Guttman, who joined the Saints for the stretch run last season after completing his season at the Midget level. While Thompson and Fulp saw limited game action, they learned what it takes to compete at this level by being involved in every other aspect of the team.

“It’s been a great experience for me, and it’s given me an idea what I’ll need to train for this summer,” Fulp said. “I’ve gotten to know a lot of great people, and they’ve really helped me along and helped me develop as a player. I’ve gotten some great advice from some really good mentors, and I’ve been learning from my peers.

“Jacob Semik is my age, and he’s given me a lot of great advice, and all the older guys have been easy to talk to and have been really good to me. It’s big that I’m out here now.”

Guttman also mentored Fulp and Thompson.

“I give those guys a lot of credit for their commitment to the organization and to themselves as people and to their craft,” Lammers said. “It’s only going to make them better prepared after they’ve seen it, lived it, breathed it and experienced things like practice and riding the bus. Get up in the morning. Be on a schedule.

“Gutty is a special player who really cares about his teammates. He made it a point to sit with Tyce and Aidan, interact with them and include them in everything. That’s what makes him so special and why he’ll be a leader here next season.”

Edited by tpriest, 11 May 2017 - 09:30 AM.

#6 Mr Ricochet

Cup Winning Goalie

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,289 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 06:03 PM

Helluva franchise........... Someone posted a tweet a couple months back that had Chicago moving to Wisconsin and one of my first thoughts was do I but a Saints or Jacks hat but Minor Life cleared it up and it was a low level junior team expected to go to Wisconsin, not the Steel.....

Guttman was my favorite Saint this year.   Kid reminds me a lot of Sam Warning of the Riders 5-6-7 years ago.   Skilled player who will play physical.  But Guttman really seems to enjoy being an agitator.   It was him IIRC that stuck his glove in the Steel's Johnny Walker's mouth and Walker allegedly bit him. ....He's got some Andrew Shaw in him in that regard.

Seems to me defense would be a concern right now.   Maybe talented players but very little experience coming, as it sits today.   Am I right on that Saint fans? 

Crush Em Steel
Blackhawks Rock
RIP Huckleberry. 1995-2009.... Thanks for 14 unforgettable years Huck. You will forever be loved and missed.

#7 tpriest

Checking Forward

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts
  • Interests:Dubuque Fighting Saints

Posted 16 May 2017 - 11:38 AM

Helluva franchise........... Someone posted a tweet a couple months back that had Chicago moving to Wisconsin and one of my first thoughts was do I but a Saints or Jacks hat but Minor Life cleared it up and it was a low level junior team expected to go to Wisconsin, not the Steel.....

Guttman was my favorite Saint this year.   Kid reminds me a lot of Sam Warning of the Riders 5-6-7 years ago.   Skilled player who will play physical.  But Guttman really seems to enjoy being an agitator.   It was him IIRC that stuck his glove in the Steel's Johnny Walker's mouth and Walker allegedly bit him. ....He's got some Andrew Shaw in him in that regard.

Seems to me defense would be a concern right now.   Maybe talented players but very little experience coming, as it sits today.   Am I right on that Saint fans? 

Yeah Rico, the D is where there would be some concern and I think that showed in the Draft. Dubuque took a lot of Defenceman. Bushy is solid, I think the Saints are pretty high on Semik and Fulp. Fulp lived with me this spring for 2 months when he came down from Michigan to finish out the season with the Saints. They worked with him a lot, even on days the starters had a day off the affiliates would practice and work out. 
Should be interesting how it works out but I think he felt pretty comfortable when he left to go home for the summer...but with a head coaching job up in the air, there's always that uncertainty hanging out there. 

#8 OutdoorJoe

Points Leader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 672 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 11:30 AM

Scratch Boyle off the list as he has committed to Bently for this fall. Boyle was previously committed to Denver for the 17-18 season.

http://www.dubuquefi...rrer_id=1289232

Edited by OutdoorJoe, 18 May 2017 - 11:34 AM.

#IVORYTOWER

#9 smalt21

Points Leader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 631 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 02:01 PM

Josh Maniscalco will head to Dubuque, Iowa, and play for the Fighting Saints in the United States Hockey League next year before heading to Arizona State for the 2018-19 season.  (2 year NTDP)

Edited by smalt21, 29 May 2017 - 02:01 PM.

#10 Mr Ricochet

Cup Winning Goalie

• Admin
  • 37,289 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 09:50 PM

Josh Maniscalco will head to Dubuque, Iowa, and play for the Fighting Saints in the United States Hockey League next year before heading to Arizona State for the 2018-19 season.  (2 year NTDP)

They took him in the 1st round this year.   Nice as IMO they were looking to be short on experience on the backend to this point.   ...... Nice find, Smalt.    http://www.elitepros...p?player=269308

Crush Em Steel
Blackhawks Rock
RIP Huckleberry. 1995-2009.... Thanks for 14 unforgettable years Huck. You will forever be loved and missed.

#11 herbst20

Cup Winning Goalie

• Admin
  • 3,736 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 01:33 AM

Not a returner but it looks like the Phase II 5th Round Pick Adam Tisdale will leave the AJHL to play for Dubuque (Barring he makes the team that is)

http://www.thecragan...veteran-to-ushl

#12 Mr Ricochet

Cup Winning Goalie

• Admin
  • 37,289 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 08:06 AM

Not a returner but it looks like the Phase II 5th Round Pick Adam Tisdale will leave the AJHL to play for Dubuque (Barring he makes the team that is)

http://www.thecragan...veteran-to-ushl

Nice find, Herby.............  This kid looks like a nice fit.  110+ Junior A games, some skill as well as being hungry.  http://www.elitepros...p?player=198309

Andrew Milne, Eagles GM and head coach, wished Tisdale well.

“I hope for Adam’s sake he accomplishes what he wants to accomplish. … I have encouraged all of our guys to go and check out these leagues [including the major junior Western Hockey League] and see what it is all about,” said Milne. “The last thing I want is a player who doesn’t want to be here or thinks they can be doing better elsewhere.”

Milne said he hasn’t closed the door on Tisdale, if the former Cochrane minor hockey player finds the league not to his liking.

Am I reading too much into this but does this sound like a coach who isn't all that happy Tisdale is leaving? 

Crush Em Steel
Blackhawks Rock

#13 Mr Ricochet

Cup Winning Goalie

• Admin
  • 37,289 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 09:25 AM

DBQ Fighting Saints Retweeted

@miska_35 & @JaxonCastor Have an amazing time @ArizonaCoyotes Development Camp! #Dubuqueisdevelopment

Crush Em Steel
Blackhawks Rock

#14 herbst20

Cup Winning Goalie

• Admin
  • 3,736 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 11:04 AM

#NHLJets draft pick Santeri Virtanen will play next season in the USHL for the Dubuque Fighting Saints. #NHLfi #HCTPS

Tweet from Finn Prospects

#15 Mr Ricochet

Cup Winning Goalie

• Admin
  • 37,289 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 12:28 PM

#NHLJets draft pick Santeri Virtanen will play next season in the USHL for the Dubuque Fighting Saints. #NHLfi #HCTPS

Nice!!  Big kid......   Kid didn't play much hockey last yr but had nice numbers in the WJC-18 tournament.   1st rounder in the KHL draft.    http://www.elitepros...p?player=283531

Crush Em Steel
Blackhawks Rock

#16 Saints Fan 22

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 761 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 01:32 PM

Nice!!  Big kid......   Kid didn't play much hockey last yr but had nice numbers in the WJC-18 tournament.   1st rounder in the KHL draft.    http://www.elitepros...p?player=283531

Was with the Saints last preseason, got hurt and wasnt able to play again until February, so went back to Finland.  Just the fact he was around for a bit last year should make his transition much easier.  

#17 Mr Ricochet

Cup Winning Goalie

• Admin
  • 37,289 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 09:31 PM

Was with the Saints last preseason, got hurt and wasnt able to play again until February, so went back to Finland.  Just the fact he was around for a bit last year should make his transition much easier.  

That's why he only played a handful of games.  Sure it will help that he's been through a USHL camp.   He knows what to expect coming in and I'm sure he's coming in ready........ Saints sure know how to draft em. 

Crush Em Steel
Blackhawks Rock

#18 herbst20

Cup Winning Goalie

• Admin
  • 3,736 posts

Posted 01 August 2017 - 06:21 AM

Hearing Dubuque affiliate Ryder Donovan was offered and turned down a spot on the NTDP. He will return to Duluth East this year

#19 Mr Ricochet

Cup Winning Goalie

• Admin
  • 37,289 posts

Posted 01 August 2017 - 06:26 AM

Hearing Dubuque affiliate Ryder Donovan was offered and turned down a spot on the NTDP. He will return to Duluth East this year

Wow, that speaks to the draw of MN HS hockey.  Skipping a chance to develop playing an NTDP schedule that includes 30ish USHL games, 30+ games vs NCAA D1 and international competition says much.

Crush Em Steel
Blackhawks Rock

#20 Maiden

1st Line Center

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 01 August 2017 - 08:14 AM

I'm skeptical of this news as Gavin Haan was offered the spot a couple months ago and accepted.

It has not been reported another F has left the program recently.