26 replies to this topic

#1 Mr Ricochet

Cup Winning Goalie

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,666 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 04:03 PM

(1) Chicago Steel vs. (2) Dubuque Fighting Saints

Game 1: Friday, 4/28/17 at 7:05 PM at Fox Valley Ice Arena (HD)

Game 2: Saturday, 4/29/17 at 7:05 PM at Fox Valley Ice Arena (HD)

Game 3: Friday, 5/5/17 at 7:35 PM at Mystique Community Ice Center (HD)

Game 4 (if necessary): Saturday, 5/6/17 at 7:05 PM at Mystique Community Ice Center (HD)

Game 5 (if necessary): Tuesday, 5/9/17 at 7:05 PM at Fox Valley Ice Arena (HD)

Crush Em Steel
Blackhawks Rock
RIP Huckleberry. 1995-2009.... Thanks for 14 unforgettable years Huck. You will forever be loved and missed.

#2 Mr Ricochet

Cup Winning Goalie

• Admin
  • 36,666 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 03:29 AM

Saints Site/Jordan Kuhns   Saints-Steel Preview

Crush Em Steel
Blackhawks Rock
RIP Huckleberry. 1995-2009.... Thanks for 14 unforgettable years Huck. You will forever be loved and missed.

#3 Saints Fan 22

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 07:42 AM

10/1 —DBQ 3 - CHI 6 [Boxscore]
11/26 — DBQ 3 - CHI 1 [Boxscore]
12/28 — CHI 6 - DBQ 5 [Boxscore]
3/24 — CHI 1 - DBQ 3 [Boxscore]

To me, the scores from the previous games tell the story of the series.  Saints have really struggled with teams with speed this year, a team like Muskegon, and even Youngstown, they had a lot of success with, because of the similar styles. Faster the game goes, the more it favors the Steel.  I am guessing that the Saints staff really went to school on what Youngstown did after game 2, which appeared to really throw the Steel off balance offensively.  Biggest key to me in this series is the neutral zone, when the Saints are playing well, they are not making mistakes in the neutral zone, but so many times this year, when they struggle, they make mistakes in the neutral zone, allowing rushes, and that is the last thing you want against Chicago.   I think again this series will go the distance, Saints will steal one this weekend, Steel will get one in Dubuque next weekend, but I think Chicago is too skilled, and win it in 5.  

#4 tpriest

Checking Forward

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 143 posts
  • Interests:Dubuque Fighting Saints

Posted 27 April 2017 - 09:48 AM

Rumor has it that Chicago has 3 of their top D men injured right now. That could play a big factor into this series. 
Rico, I am heading over for the game on Saturday. I think there's a decent amount of Saints fans making the trip. Looking forward to the trip. 

#5 Maiden

2nd Line Center

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 11:09 AM

Rumor has it that Chicago has 3 of their top D men injured right now. That could play a big factor into this series. 
Rico, I am heading over for the game on Saturday. I think there's a decent amount of Saints fans making the trip. Looking forward to the trip. 

Plenty of good sections available

#6 smalt21

1st Line Center

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 12:25 PM

Steel in 4

#7 tpriest

Checking Forward

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 01:21 PM

Spoke with Dan Lehv yesterday. Steel are reserving section 201 for Saints fans and have a bit of a ticket price break. 
From what I have seen on Hockey TV, the Steel games don't draw much of a crowd? 

#8 HansTaughtUsToFly

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Interests:I'm the Minnesota Miracle Man.

Posted 27 April 2017 - 01:37 PM

Saints in 4

#9 Maiden

2nd Line Center

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 02:52 PM

Dubuque in 4 games

#10 hackshow22

2nd Line Center

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts
  • Interests:Dangles, chuckin pizzas, snippin ched, dirty cellys. Just keep on givin'er.

Posted 27 April 2017 - 02:57 PM

Chicago in 5

"I don't care how fast a skater you are, if you don't play this game with a big heart and a big bag of knuckles in front of the net, you don't got dinky-do".

#11 Hey Hey Whatdya Say

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 03:48 PM

Dubuque in four

#12 Mr Ricochet

Cup Winning Goalie

• Admin
  • 36,666 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 05:29 PM

Spoke with Dan Lehv yesterday. Steel are reserving section 201 for Saints fans and have a bit of a ticket price break. 

Dan Lehv is the man.   You need something he's your guy.......... This ain't Bensenville.   Firstly there are about half/2/3's the seats and there are more fans.  So having Dan carve out a section for you guys is the way to go. It's different, you'll see. 

Cheli's chili, Chelios' joint, is a nice pub and grill with a patio too that's part of the arena.  Never ate there or will, he's a Red Wing, but it draws a nice trendy crowd and people speak well of it.  You can't go wrong eating there on site and having a few beers before puck drop.  It's family friendly too, couple had their dog with em on the patio Tuesday.

Crush Em Steel
Blackhawks Rock

#13 Mr Ricochet

Cup Winning Goalie

• Admin
  • 36,666 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 05:43 PM

People don't realize this cuz it's hard to find any print on the Steel but they were without, IMO, their best Dman Karashik for all but Game 5 and minute muncher Aamodt all series.   They went with rookie Green, who's been with em all season, 2000 Regula (will be an NHL pick and is getting 2nd unit PK minutes), 2000 Xan Gurney (4 regular season games) and QMJHL defector Kachyna (3 playoff games maybe 15 shifts).  

Muse went basically with 5 Dmen until Karashik came back for Game 5.  And that was against a heavy YTown club who knew they were skating their Dmen a lot of minutes and dumped, made em turn, and played the body.   The Steel winning that series was tougher that most know because of the defense situation.

So no, as of last game they're without one Dman and that's Aamodt.  Walsh left em after deciding to play HS hockey this year then decided USHL playoffs ain't for him, so can't count him.  If Aamodt dresses a guy like Green, who's solid, is the 7th Dman. 

Crush Em Steel
Blackhawks Rock

#14 tpriest

Checking Forward

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 06:19 PM

http://www.dubuquefi...rrer_id=1289232

#15 Mr Ricochet

Cup Winning Goalie

• Admin
  • 36,666 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 06:20 PM

10/1 —DBQ 3 - CHI 6 [Boxscore]
11/26 — DBQ 3 - CHI 1 [Boxscore]
12/28 — CHI 6 - DBQ 5 [Boxscore]
3/24 — CHI 1 - DBQ 3 [Boxscore]

To me, the scores from the previous games tell the story of the series.  Saints have really struggled with teams with speed this year, a team like Muskegon, and even Youngstown, they had a lot of success with, because of the similar styles. Faster the game goes, the more it favors the Steel.  I am guessing that the Saints staff really went to school on what Youngstown did after game 2, which appeared to really throw the Steel off balance offensively.  Biggest key to me in this series is the neutral zone, when the Saints are playing well, they are not making mistakes in the neutral zone, but so many times this year, when they struggle, they make mistakes in the neutral zone, allowing rushes, and that is the last thing you want against Chicago.   I think again this series will go the distance, Saints will steal one this weekend, Steel will get one in Dubuque next weekend, but I think Chicago is too skilled, and win it in 5.  

You remind me a lot of myself, 22.   My team can play beautiful hockey and I'll find issues.  Starting out playing all major 4 as a 6 yr old with great coaches I learned early the only way to put trophies on the wall is to identify weaknesses and work on them until they're a strength.   You learn more from a loss than any win IMO........

What changed me about Dubuque was the way they hung with the 18's as the 18's were rolling everyone.   They were beaten worse in the first game than the score showed and never quit.   Came back the next night and played em close.  This team can look ragged and even ugly but hangs in, hangs in, hangs in until they find a way.   Don't quit, don't lower their heads, trust the system and keep coming.  To beat em you need a 60 minute effort.  These kinds of teams are a problem in a series cuz they believe, same way YTown did.

The top line speaks for itself, they can change a game.   The 2nd with Preston and Hammacher are as fast as any line in the league.  Rueschhof as you saw in the Muskegon series has risen to another level.  McAdams has brought the grit they wanted and the middle/bottom 6 play their role.

And Castor is a microcosm of the Saints IMO.  He may not look right at times but he hangs in and hangs in and finds a way.  ..... Of course I'm talking about a team that was 2nd in GPG and in PP.  This team is not without skill.   It's being 10th in GA that is the problem and I'm guessing what you have identified begins with the neutral zone. 

And yes the neutral zone is paramount for any team at any level.  You give the Steel, or any team, speed through the middle zone and it's a problem but most times that's a positioning thing.  And the Steel speed IMO is more to do with structure and positioning than skating fast.  They play/think fast and that's less to do with skating fast than being coached up and structured.    I'll say this IMO they can't match the Preston/Hammacher line in speed.  ........ When they are right you'll see a second wave and Dmen skating through the attack zone confusing assignments for the opposition. 

The Steel are balanced and that's a matchup problem for an opponent.  3rd in GF and GA.   But as you saw YT took em to the brink and the Steel beat em on a poor play by their goalie. 

Crush Em Steel
Blackhawks Rock

#16 tpriest

Checking Forward

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 06:21 PM

Dan Lehv is the man.   You need something he's your guy.......... This ain't Bensenville.   Firstly there are about half/2/3's the seats and there are more fans.  So having Dan carve out a section for you guys is the way to go. It's different, you'll see. 

Cheli's chili, Chelios' joint, is a nice pub and grill with a patio too that's part of the arena.  Never ate there or will, he's a Red Wing, but it draws a nice trendy crowd and people speak well of it.  You can't go wrong eating there on site and having a few beers before puck drop.  It's family friendly too, couple had their dog with em on the patio Tuesday.

Dan is awesome! He's really missed in dubuque by many. Really looking forward to coming over and visiting with him and seeing the place. We were talking about hitting up a place to eat called the burger location (I think). Looked pretty good and fairly close to the rink.

#17 tpriest

Checking Forward

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 06:26 PM

People don't realize this cuz it's hard to find any print on the Steel but they were without, IMO, their best Dman Karashik for all but Game 5 and minute muncher Aamodt all series.   They went with rookie Green, who's been with em all season, 2000 Regula (will be an NHL pick and is getting 2nd unit PK minutes), 2000 Xan Gurney (4 regular season games) and QMJHL defector Kachyna (3 playoff games maybe 15 shifts).  

Muse went basically with 5 Dmen until Karashik came back for Game 5.  And that was against a heavy YTown club who knew they were skating their Dmen a lot of minutes and dumped, made em turn, and played the body.   The Steel winning that series was tougher that most know because of the defense situation.

So no, as of last game they're without one Dman and that's Aamodt.  Walsh left em after deciding to play HS hockey this year then decided USHL playoffs ain't for him, so can't count him.  If Aamodt dresses a guy like Green, who's solid, is the 7th Dman. 

Ok, I got you. Thanks for clearing it up.
Should be a great series. Will you be at the games this weekend?

#18 Mr Ricochet

Cup Winning Goalie

• Admin
  • 36,666 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 06:47 PM

So no, as of last game they're without one Dman and that's Aamodt.  Walsh left em after deciding to play HS hockey this year then decided USHL playoffs ain't for him, so can't count him.  If Walsh dresses a guy like Green, who's solid, is the 7th Dman. 

Ok, I got you. Thanks for clearing it up.
Should be a great series. Will you be at the games this weekend?

I'm still buzzin from Game 5 vs YTown!!   Don't know how to act with the Steel in the playoffs.  9 years man, 9 years and been there for em all......... I'll be there.   Shooting for Game 4 in Dubuque as well. 

Crush Em Steel
Blackhawks Rock

#19 Mr Ricochet

Cup Winning Goalie

• Admin
  • 36,666 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 06:57 PM

(1) Chicago............................................................(2) Dubuque

38-17-2-3, 81 points.............................................36-7-5-2, 79 points

GF 3rd, 3.27..........................................................GF 2nd, 3.35

GA 3rd, 2.40..........................................................GA 10th, 2.72

Goal differential, +52 (2nd best, SC +54)..............Goal differential, +38

Shots for 8th, 29.63...............................................Shots for 11th, 28.18.

Shots against 5th, 27.50........................................Shots against 2nd, 24.65

PP 8th, 16%..........................................................PP 2nd, 21.6%

PK, 1st, 90.3%......................................................PK 7th, 85.7%

PP GA rank 1st, 21............................................. 

PP goals for, 5th, 40..........................................  

PP chances 3rd, 250.......................................     Power play chances 5th, 236

Times shorthanded 13th most, 216....................Times shorthanded 11th most, 224

PP minus SH chances +34...................................PP minus shorthanded chances, +12

Crush Em Steel
Blackhawks Rock

#20 Mr Ricochet

Cup Winning Goalie

• Admin
  • 36,666 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 09:56 PM

#SteelTheCup liked

.@ChicagoSteel G Aleš Stezka (#mnwild '15) posted a .991 SV% in Chicago's 3 first-round home playoff games. 105/106. #WhosNext #SteelTheCup

C-cvDJ_XcAEuSax.jpg

Crush Em Steel
Blackhawks Rock

Reply to this topic

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users