Returners-----Des Moines

56 replies to this topic

#21 MadhouseOnHickman

Checking Forward

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 05:54 AM

Confirmed: Jan Ruzicka (G) | Des Moines Buccaneers -> BK Mlada Boleslav | https://t.co/cV7IVmdHHq#Czech

Edited by MadhouseOnHickman, 09 May 2017 - 05:55 AM.

#22 smalt21

Points Leader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 07:24 PM

The Nanaimo Clippers are very pleased to announce the acquisition of Brad Belisle.

#23 herbst20

Cup Winning Goalie

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 12:16 PM

Tri-City(WHL) announced the signing of Des Moines(USHL)Anoka HS alum and '99 F Isaac Johnson today.

#24 Mr Ricochet

Cup Winning Goalie

• Admin
  • 37,133 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 03:58 PM

Tri-City(WHL) announced the signing of Des Moines(USHL)Anoka HS alum and '99 F Isaac Johnson today.

Was primed for a big year:  http://www.elitepros...p?player=201523

Crush Em Steel
Blackhawks Rock
RIP Huckleberry. 1995-2009.... Thanks for 14 unforgettable years Huck. You will forever be loved and missed.

#25 Mr Ricochet

Cup Winning Goalie

• Admin
  • 37,133 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 09:09 AM

A bit old but some reading on the Bucs' outlook for next season.   Bucs Site/Erick Zamora   Link

Crush Em Steel
Blackhawks Rock
RIP Huckleberry. 1995-2009.... Thanks for 14 unforgettable years Huck. You will forever be loved and missed.

#26 MadhouseOnHickman

Checking Forward

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 06:25 AM

A bit old but some reading on the Bucs' outlook for next season.   Bucs Site/Erick Zamora   Link

Old but thanks for the share Ricochet! Blue line getting a huge return with Scooter Brickey. Biggest question mark will be between the pipes

#27 jimindm

1st Line Center

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 08:04 AM

Have friends that play adult hockey league at the arena. At a meeting they were told the season is up in the air. The USHL has taken over the team. 

Not real sure what that means, being that ownership still owns the arena.

It has been rumored that the last few years that ownership is trying to sell the team. As fan and as other have posted, they have done very little in many ways to do anything to enhance a fan experience. Have heard many times about interested parties wanting to buy it and could just not come to terms. A few groups have been led by people n the community, and a few former players have been mentioned.

Again, I am not sure what this means, and I do not suppose you will see any kind of press release about this.

Has the league ever sort of taken over a team?

Since most teams play in a rented arena, how could it work with former ownership actually owning the arena? I could see how the league could take over a lease or something, but to take the team over and have to negotiate with the former owners to play in their building, I just do not know.

I really hope that some of this is just plain not true. But the way it has played out since the ownership has bought the team, I would not be surprised. I have heard for years that the league has pretty much been watching what is going on here.

Awful late in the off season for something like this to happen. Now that I have heard it from a few different sources it just kind of makes me sick. 

#28 Mr Ricochet

Cup Winning Goalie

• Admin
  • 37,133 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 08:33 AM

Scoopy stuff if true, Jim.......... My first question if this is true would be what has ownership done to have the league step into their affairs?  I know a league, every league, has language of rules and standards to adhere to and can legally take over.  If true we'll hear about it soon enough. 

Crush Em Steel
Blackhawks Rock

#29 Maiden

2nd Line Center

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 11:02 AM

Usually a league takes over a teams operations when they cant keep up with there financial obligations or if criminal activity has occured.

Seems weird this is leaking out now right before the season.

#30 Glenn Gumbley

Checking Forward

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 01:01 PM

Have friends that play adult hockey league at the arena. At a meeting they were told the season is up in the air. The USHL has taken over the team. 

Not real sure what that means, being that ownership still owns the arena.

It has been rumored that the last few years that ownership is trying to sell the team. As fan and as other have posted, they have done very little in many ways to do anything to enhance a fan experience. Have heard many times about interested parties wanting to buy it and could just not come to terms. A few groups have been led by people n the community, and a few former players have been mentioned.

Again, I am not sure what this means, and I do not suppose you will see any kind of press release about this.

Has the league ever sort of taken over a team?

Since most teams play in a rented arena, how could it work with former ownership actually owning the arena? I could see how the league could take over a lease or something, but to take the team over and have to negotiate with the former owners to play in their building, I just do not know.

I really hope that some of this is just plain not true. But the way it has played out since the ownership has bought the team, I would not be surprised. I have heard for years that the league has pretty much been watching what is going on here.

Awful late in the off season for something like this to happen. Now that I have heard it from a few different sources it just kind of makes me sick. 

Please correct me if I'm mistaken, but didn't the Peleds buy a NAHL team in Minnesota for the son to play on, and then bought the Bucks for him to play on?

#31 jimindm

1st Line Center

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 01:10 PM

I think they did buy a team, before the Bucs for him to play. I am not sure what league, and really not even sure how they left that team.

I did kind of a search about leagues taking over operations of teams, in many sports. It does appear it is done with regularity. Much like Maiden said it is usually for the leagues sake. So no real shake up. I even ran across a few that it was done while a sale was happening or a sale was pending. Not always over money matters.

I would guess we will never really know the reason, if this is true. 

#32 hackshow22

1st Line Center

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts
  • Interests:Dangles, chuckin pizzas, snippin ched, dirty cellys. Just keep on givin'er.

Posted 25 July 2017 - 02:08 PM

The NAHL has taken over a few teams in recent memory. It took over Port Huron a few years back because the owner wasn't paying the bills and wanted out. Not too much of a different personality from the Peleds as far as operating procedures go.

If the league is taking over the team, that would be a Godsend. Next step would be a new owner.

Edited by hackshow22, 25 July 2017 - 02:25 PM.

"I don't care how fast a skater you are, if you don't play this game with a big heart and a big bag of knuckles in front of the net, you don't got dinky-do".

#33 BackCheck

2nd Line Center

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 02:59 PM

The NAHL has taken over a few teams in recent memory. It took over Port Huron a few years back because the owner wasn't paying the bills and wanted out. Not too much of a different personality from the Peleds as far as operating procedures go.

Actually, I think this was after they moved to Connelsville, PA and ran into a LOT of issues. The arena was a joke and the operators did not want to cooperate to make things any better. I went to one game there and was a little stunned. The fact that it was also a roller skating rink was odd enough but it was the parking that took the cake. I don't mind paying to park in the grass, but mow the field first. The grass ate the Fiat ahead of me, the owner didn't look happy about it. Later on in the season, the financial ends started to get weird and the bank backing them was starting to get scared off. I had a few people telling me mixed info about it so I don't really know what was true about that but shortly after I heard the ownership pretty much just walked away and the NAHL ran the team the remainder of the season.

Flaky ownership aside, it was a fairly different situation than DM, but then again probably all of these cases are unique beasts. I guess it just makes me thankful the ownership in Youngstown seems to be solid, even when the fan base and other factors might not be.

#34 hackshow22

1st Line Center

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts
  • Interests:Dangles, chuckin pizzas, snippin ched, dirty cellys. Just keep on givin'er.

Posted 25 July 2017 - 04:16 PM

Actually, I think this was after they moved to Connelsville, PA and ran into a LOT of issues. The arena was a joke and the operators did not want to cooperate to make things any better. I went to one game there and was a little stunned. The fact that it was also a roller skating rink was odd enough but it was the parking that took the cake. I don't mind paying to park in the grass, but mow the field first. The grass ate the Fiat ahead of me, the owner didn't look happy about it. Later on in the season, the financial ends started to get weird and the bank backing them was starting to get scared off. I had a few people telling me mixed info about it so I don't really know what was true about that but shortly after I heard the ownership pretty much just walked away and the NAHL ran the team the remainder of the season.

Flaky ownership aside, it was a fairly different situation than DM, but then again probably all of these cases are unique beasts. I guess it just makes me thankful the ownership in Youngstown seems to be solid, even when the fan base and other factors might not be.

Yes, you are correct on the Port Huron relocation to Connelsville.  Thanks for the reminder on that!  The issues with the owner started LONG before Connelsville, and was the main reason for the move.  Predictably, those problems continued once they set up shop there as you cited instances of just a few of them.

Maybe I chose a bad comparison, but my point was the way in which these two owners operate(d) and the results haven't been much different.  

"I don't care how fast a skater you are, if you don't play this game with a big heart and a big bag of knuckles in front of the net, you don't got dinky-do".

#35 redwing77

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 06:14 PM

I do not know much of the history regarding the Bucs franchise and I don't know anything beyond what I've read so far but...

Those of you who have some "in the know:" do you think this could result in the Bucs either relocating to the nice arena in town (sharing it with the Iowa Wild) or relocating the franchise to somewhere that is already rumored to be in the running?

It's interesting and a little sad how much uncertainty there is amongst the futures of several USHL franchises and Des Moines is just another (Bloomington, Madison, Indiana, and there's always the interesting land situation in Lincoln...)

#36 Maiden

2nd Line Center

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 06:45 PM

I do not know much of the history regarding the Bucs franchise and I don't know anything beyond what I've read so far but...

Those of you who have some "in the know:" do you think this could result in the Bucs either relocating to the nice arena in town (sharing it with the Iowa Wild) or relocating the franchise to somewhere that is already rumored to be in the running?

It's interesting and a little sad how much uncertainty there is amongst the futures of several USHL franchises and Des Moines is just another (Bloomington, Madison, Indiana, and there's always the interesting land situation in Lincoln...)

Des Moines fans - be careful what you wish for.

#37 redwing77

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 07:08 PM

Des Moines fans - be careful what you wish for.

Just as a clarification (perhaps unnecessary) but I'm a Lancers fan, not a Des Moines fan. 

I'd rather the Bucs not relocate or fold.  Des Moines isn't that far away from Omaha.  I WOULD like them to get a new arena.  Buccaneer Arena is a dump.

#38 hackshow22

1st Line Center

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 07:52 PM

If the Bucs relocate, that would be awful.  Its a great location for a USHL franchise- medium sized US city, good population size, communities with ongoing development and growth, great fans, education at schools is really good, middle of the USHL footprint, etc.  

Regarding the ice rink situation and facilities in the area:

People involved in the local hockey scene have watched both ice arenas in the GDM area (Bucs Arena, and Metro Ice Sports Facility) go to hell in a hand basket for the last several years.  It goes without saying, but Bucs Arena is old and needs alot of help that Bucs ownership does not care to do anything about.  Metro just crossed the 20 year-old threshold and is in need of serious repair as well.  

There is a group of local businessmen and community members who are trying to get a new facility built in the area.  Some of them have played a major role on the youth hockey scene for years.  West Des Moines is where the growth continues to be in the metro area, and the city of West Des Moines has committed to a feasibility study for a future rink.  The venue would have a USHL sized arena with an adjacent practice facility.  There are several steps to this being a "go", and it may not be for a couple years, but I can see it happening in the near future.  

All of the info available at this time (to the public) is at: www.iowaicesportsfoundation.org/.  

#39 jimindm

1st Line Center

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 10:37 PM

As I said earlier a lot of this is still up in the air. I would think even if the USHL took over control, that they just can not yank ownership. I would have to think there is a franchise agreement somewhere that would not let that happen. Imagine just taking a team away from owners, and the owners are just out.

As far as the bucs ever playing DT, I am not sure that will ever happen. I think a lot happens on the ownership side before that will ever be considered. Meaning that if the league took over operations, but could not get a deal with the arena Pelids own, then maybe. The biggest reason I could see is the availability of open dates. Global spectrum manages WFA and they are doing a great job. It is quite a busy place. I would guess they do as much as they can to stagger out venues thereto give them time to convert it to what ever sport is in need.

Every year it seems like they are converting it more often, for sporting events that are stacked on top of each other. I just could not imagine they could accommodate that many more events.

This is the first I have heard of the group and WDM doing a study. I did not see any figures posted, but one has to wonder how much the city is actually paying. If it is only several thousand, I would not put much thought into that. Such a small amount is just some slush fund money a politician throws out, for a group of large donors. Now if it is a lot, then I could see how it would be sort of out of the hands of just one guy and likely have to be talked about with in the city somewhat. Now that could be something.

Many of those guys are some of the same names popping up in the rumors of who is out to purchase the BUCS. WDM is likely one of the fastest growing cities in the midwest. I could see where they could be interested, but they have a lot of irons in the fire. Development is rocking there and building anything like they are talking about would move it most likely to the western side. Not sure that would be a great move.

Bucs arena could no doubt use some upgrading. But unless the current ownership has some astronomical number in mind I would think they could work with the city of Urbandale and get close to the same deal. You would have to think the K-Mart stores days are numbered. 

Let me put my tin foil hat on for a few paragraphs. The one group that has not been mentioned is the wild ownership group. I think they have done a lot in the metro in the way of supporting hockey. If you remember bucs ownership kind of baled on the metro, even fired some staff that was affiliated with it. If I am not mistaken the wild have kind of taken it over, I think it is their practice ice and I think they have supported youth hockey there.

I could see the wild, blowing them all away. You do not have to look far to see the NHL is looking at youth to model into future players. Even staff from this level are moving up with regularity. In the big picture $15-20 million is not much to them. If they came knocking on any city door in the metro, some body had better start listening.

I think I read somewhere that they just bought a team for sort of a farm team to the AHL Wild If I recall it is in the upper midwest footprint. Imagine if they could assemble teams clear down in the junior ranks, in a small foot print.

All in all, I think all of this is the result of the mismanagement of the bucs. It sure looks like they have kind of stood apart and watched the hockey world go buy. You have the wild doing things over the top, and the bucs can not even get the bare basics done right. 

I have always said the bucs have a good deal going, likely the best of any team in the league. Located in the center of the league footprint and own everything. Just imagine what other teams negotiate just to get a cut of the concessions and parking. The bucs get it all and never negotiate a thing. 

Current bucs ownership has not made many good choices in the past, but with what is happening around them, they had better get it figured out. It sure looks like others are sort of tired playing their game, and ready to go play there own.    

#40 hackshow22

1st Line Center

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 11:34 PM

Great post Jim! The feasibility study begins August 8th, so we'll find out soon enough.

As for the ownership changing hands, that would be a long process whether the league assumed control of the team or it was sold to another ownership group.

Again, great post!

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users