Sign in to follow this  
Mr Ricochet

Western Conference Finals

Mr Ricochet    3
Mr Ricochet

Until we get a schedule a place to post on the Musketeers vs Black Hawks.

Kevin Meyers @USHLKevin 9h9 hours ago

10/14: WAT 2, SC 1 (OT)

11/11: SC 2, WAT 1

12/9: WAT 3, SC 2 (OT)

1/29: WAT 4, SC 3 (OT)

3/11 WAT 6, SC 1

3/24: SC 6, WAT 3

0 replies 2 retweets 0 likes
6 games, 4 decided by one goal and 3 went to OT.

casemagnum    0
casemagnum
Western Conference Finals Schedule – Waterloo Black Hawks vs. Sioux City Musketeers

Game One – Friday, April 28th, Tyson Events Center, 7:05 p.m.

Game Two – Sunday, April 30th, Tyson Events Center, 4:05 p.m.

Game Three – Friday, May 5th, Young Arena, 7:05 p.m.

Game Four – If necessary…Saturday, May 6th, Young Arena, 7:05 p.m.

Game Five – If necessary…Tuesday, May 9th, Tyson Events Center, 7:05 p.m.

HansTaughtUsToFly    0
HansTaughtUsToFly

Sioux City in 5

hackshow22    0
hackshow22

Sioux City in 5

Mr Ricochet    3
Mr Ricochet

Anyone know if +29 in the regular season Loo Dman Jake Ryzcek is due back? Didn't play in the opening series.

Yeti    0
Yeti

I really don't see how this series doesn't go all 5 games. Both teams are playing some of their best hockey right now.

atrain    0
atrain

Anyone know if +29 in the regular season Loo Dman Jake Ryzcek is due back? Didn't play in the opening series.

Mr. Rico in today's Sioux City Journal there is an article on Jake Ryzcek. It stats that he will not play tonight and is doubtful to return the entire series. I would post it here but I don't have good luck posting articles on here.

MuskiesFan4Ever    0
MuskiesFan4Ever

Mr. Rico in today's Sioux City Journal there is an article on Jake Ryzcek. It stats that he will not play tonight and is doubtful to return the entire series. I would post it here but I don't have good luck posting articles on here.

Here is the article...

Former Musketeer questionable for Waterloo in Western Conference Finals

JERRY GIESE jgiese@siouxcityjournal.com

SIOUX CITY | Former Musketeer Jake Ryczek is questionable for the first game and possibly the entire Western Conference Finals series between his old team and the Waterloo Black Hawks.

Ryczek, a 5-foot-10, 179-pound defenseman, didn’t play in the semifinal sweep over Fargo because of an upper body injury. The three-year USHL veteran, who was traded from Sioux City to Waterloo in February, 2016, was one of the league’s scoring leaders at his position this season with 29 points (8 goals, 21 assists).

Ryczek had a goal and four assists against the Musketeers this season, three assists coming in a 4-3 overtime win over Sioux City on Jan. 29.

“We certainly miss him,” said Waterloo Coach P.K. O’Handley. “It hurts us on the back end and all ways for sure, including special teams. Jake has had a heck of year.

“We’re hopeful to get him back. It’s unfortunate for him and it’s unfortunate for our team. He’d love to play against his old team. We’ll have to see how it goes.”

A native of Ludlow, Mass., Ryczek was the Musketeers’ first-round selection in the 2014 USHL Phase I Draft. He had six goals and 12 assists for the Sioux City squad that won the 2015 Western Conference regular-season championship, then provided three goals and 11 assists in 29 games for the Musketeers the following season before the trade to Waterloo.

There, Ryczek had four goals and 16 assists in 18 games. He then contributed four assists in nine playoff games as Waterloo lost to Tri-City in the Western Conference Finals.

Last summer, Ryczek was a seventh-round selection of the Chicago Blackhawks in the NHL Draft.

“It was a situation where we didn’t know if Jake was coming back the next year,” said Musketeers Coach Jay Varady. “Waterloo was a team that was going to be a playoff team and he wanted to go to a playoff team. It was a good fit. Coach O’Handley has done a great job with him. He sure knows how to score goals and get points when he comes here."

http://bit.ly/2oFQlnA

casemagnum    0
casemagnum

MF4E had this on his forum:

From Musketeers' website...

Musketeers win big in Game 1

This is going to be one heck of a series.

The Sioux City Musketeers opened up the Western Conference Final Friday night with a huge 5-2 win over the Waterloo Black Hawks to claim game one of the best of five series. From start to finish tonights game was played with and edge with scrums and hard penalties all night long. The Musketeers were able to battle through the Black Hawks physical play to send a message to the 2nd place team from the regular season.

Sioux City started the scoring in the first period when Connor Ford scored the first goal at the 4:07 mark. Ford sliced through the Waterloo defense after receiving beautiful pass from Micah Miller. Brian Rigali picked up the secondary assist on the play

Eeli Tolvanen scored the next two for Sioux City after getting stoned on a breakaway in the 1st period. The first goal came on the power play at the 15:26 mark of the first perido in the first from Anea Ferrario and Tarek Baker assisted on the play. Tolvanens second goal was a gorgeous backhand goal on a breakaway at the 11:24 mark. He was set up on the goal by Keegan Mantaro and Tarek Baker.

With a three nothing lead, Waterloo fought back at the end of the 2nd. Ben Copeland scored back to back goal to trim the Musketeer lead into the 2nd period to 3 to 2 but that would be it for the Black Hawks.

Sioux City pushed back hard in the third and were rewarded for their effort. With 9:03 on the clock and just a few seconds left in a Musketeer penalty Tufto stole the puck from the Waterloo defender and raced down the ice before burying the Muskies first shorthanded goal of the playoffs. Tufto was unassisted on the play

Sioux City put the game out of reach at the 18:30 mark when Tarek Baker scored an empty netter giving Sioux City a critical 5 to 2 win.

Matiss Kivlenieks was brilliant in net once again, stopping 31 Waterloo shots to secure the win. Kivlenieks is now a perfect 4 and 0 in the post season. Game two of the best of five series is Sunday in Sioux City. Puck drop set for 4 pm.

For tickets please head to or call the Tyson Events Center box office.

http://bit.ly/2pg3C4Z

casemagnum    0
casemagnum

And also this:

From Sioux City Journal...

MUSKETEERS 5, BLACK HAWKS 2

Musketeers take opener from Waterloo

JERRY GIESE jgiese@siouxcityjournal.com

SIOUX CITY | Waterloo, in its first-round sweep over Fargo, posted a 6-2 goals advantage in the third period.

So when Ben Copeland scored two goals, 50 seconds apart late in the second period, it appeared that the Black Hawks had momentum going on their side in the final stanza Friday night.

It didnt happen.

Temporarily blitzed when he gave up as many goals in such a short period of time as he did during the first-round sweep of Des Moines, Sioux City Musketeers goaltender Matiss Kivlenieks stopped all six of Waterloos third-period chances.

Eeli Tolvanen scored two goals. Odeen Tufto tallied a crucial shorthanded goal with 10:57 left in the game as Musketeers posted a 5-2 win in Game 1 of the United States Hockey Leagues Western Conference Finals in front of 2,175 fans at the Tyson Events Center.

The third period is always hard for us, said Kivlenieks, who will likely start Game 2, which will start at 4:05 Sunday afternoon. I dont think that first one should have gone in, but the second one was a really good shot. We knew what we needed to do in the third period, so we didnt really worry about those two goals. We just went out there and played our game and got the win.

Kivlenieks, the USHL goaltender and player of the year in the regular season, was highly motivated in the final period. Undefeated thus far in four Clark Cup Playoff games, Kivlenieks stopped two shots prior facing the Black Hawks power play, a special teams unit that like the Musketeers, scored three goals in the semifinals.

Hes a good goaltender and I think he wants big situations, said Musketeers Coach Jay Varady. He enjoys playing in those situations. I thought he did a really good job tonight.

Waterloo was held without a shot with the man advantage. Sioux City not only shined on the penalty kill, Tufto tallied the first shorthanded goal of the Clark Cup Playoffs for the Anderson Cup Champions, who took a 4-2 lead.

Hes a good player and he makes a difference in key moments, said Varady. It was one of those things when they go on the power play and its a one-goal game. Our guys did a good job killing it. We didnt give up a whole lot, then (Tufto) goes out, wins a battle and gets a 2-on-1 and he executes.

Waterloo had faced a 3-1 third-period deficit in the first game against Fargo before Bailey Conger produced the game-winning goal in overtime. The Black Hawks had a 27-18 shots advantage after the first two periods.

However, Sioux City outshot Coach P.K. OHandleys squad 7-2 in the third period prior to Tuftos second goal of the playoffs.

We just gave them too much, said OHandley. I thought we turned the puck over too much. We hadnt turned the puck over like that in quite some time. Sioux Citys a good team. They capitalized on their chances.

Tolvanen scored goals in both the first and second periods. Linemate Aapeli Rasanen, who assisted on 11 of Tolvanens regular-season goals, notched his second assist of the playoffs on Tolvanens first-period power play goal, a shot that came 11 minutes after Connor Ford scored his first goal of the playoffs.

Rasanen also assisted on Tolvanens power-play goal in the 4-1 Game 1 win over Des Moines. The two natives of Finland complement each other, as Tolvanen assisted on five of Rasanens seven regular-season goals.

Its easy to play with Aapeli because hes a smart player, said Tolvanen. Hes a great worker. We play a great two-way game. I try to be on the offensive end when he tries to slide and get me the puck.

Varady complimented Waterloo for pushing his squad Friday night. Hes expecting more of the same Sunday afternoon.

I expect them to come hard like they did all night tonight, he said. Again, I thought they created more scoring chances, but we executed and capitalized on our scoring chances. I expect more of the same.

THREE STARS OF THE GAME

Game 1, Musketeers vs. Black Hawks

First Star: Eeli Tolvanen, Musketeers, 2 goals.

Second Star: Ben Copeland, Black Hawks, 2 goals.

Third Star: Tarek Baker, Musketeers, 1 goal, 1 assist.

http://bit.ly/2qip47O

Maiden    2
Maiden

Hearing there might be some injury news coming out of both teams camp for the rest of the series.

atrain    0
atrain

Hearing there might be some injury news coming out of both teams camp for the rest of the series.

I'm sure there are some injuries on both sides, referees let the boys get after it last night and both teams took advantage of the lack of calls.

Mr Ricochet    3
Mr Ricochet

I'm sure there are some injuries on both sides, referees let the boys get after it last night and both teams took advantage of the lack of calls.

This is a theme I'm noticing, the refs letting em play. The Steel-YT series, the first two of the Steel-DBQ series and the one period I watched of SC-WTL......... I'm ok with it as long as obstruction calls are made and of course head shots or hits from behind.

atrain    0
atrain

This is a theme I'm noticing, the refs letting em play. The Steel-YT series, the first two of the Steel-DBQ series and the one period I watched of SC-WTL......... I'm ok with it as long as obstruction calls are made and of course head shots or hits from behind.

I have nothing against letting them play, but if it s a penalty for one team it should be a penalty for the other. It will be interesting to see what happens if they let the teams keep going like they did Friday lots of slashes and stuff going on behind the play. As you said Mr R call the stuff you need to but let the teams decide the game on the ice not in the penalty boxes in my opinion as well .

casemagnum    0
casemagnum

That two handed, baseball swing slash by Swaney on Pospisil deserves a game or 2 suspension on Swaney. That has no place in this league anytime by anyone. The ref should get slashed the same for not calling more and the other ref Erik Krasnichuk (7) deserves a suspension himself for the embellishment call along with not calling anything on Waterloo, even those right under his nose. Those type of plays have no place in this league regardless if it is playoffs or preseason.