Sign in to follow this  
Mr Ricochet

USHL GDT 4/21 (Friday)

desmoinesduster

What an ending to the season. Great play by the guys all year and it looks like we'll only get better in coming years.

Tell me about the game a bit, duster......

Back and forth game through the second. Kivlenieks and Ruzicka both seemed to stop everything coming at their nets. Ruzicka ended up at almost 97% and Kivlenieks at 96%. After the PP goal by SC halfway through the 3rd, it seemed like the Bucs started to panic and started trying to force plays. Finally pulled Ruzicka with 2 minutes left and in the next play Rigali got a hooking call to get it to a 6 on 4. There were a few times where it was loose in the paint but never ended up behind Kivlenieks. In the final minute, it seemed like they each wanted to play as heroes and score one to take it to OT.

Surprisingly good crowd, heard it was around 2500, and I'd say it was one of the loudest games all season. Former Buc Anea Ferrario looked really solid on defense for SC. I see that the Bucs went 0/12 on the powerplay this series and SC was 3 for 9.

I think 2 stats stick out as to why we lost.

1. Kivlenieks hasn't lost consecutive games all season. (Not to mention he has been the best goalie this year)

2. The Bucs had just 2 goals in the 3 playoff games. (Gave up 11 goals)

Ryan

I listened to bits and pieces. The Bucs sounded like they played really well, especially Ruzicka.

Hats of to DM for a real good season, even though it ended in a series loss.

Just listening, but it sounded like they kept getting better as the series went, just couldn't solve Kivleneiks.

casemagnum

What an ending to the season. Great play by the guys all year and it looks like we'll only get better in coming years.

Back and forth game through the second. Kivlenieks and Ruzicka both seemed to stop everything coming at their nets. Ruzicka ended up at almost 97% and Kivlenieks at 96%. After the PP goal by SC halfway through the 3rd, it seemed like the Bucs started to panic and started trying to force plays. Finally pulled Ruzicka with 2 minutes left and in the next play Rigali got a hooking call to get it to a 6 on 4. There were a few times where it was loose in the paint but never ended up behind Kivlenieks. In the final minute, it seemed like they each wanted to play as heroes and score one to take it to OT.

Surprisingly good crowd, heard it was around 2500, and I'd say it was one of the loudest games all season. Former Buc Anea Ferrario looked really solid on defense for SC. I see that the Bucs went 0/12 on the powerplay this series and SC was 3 for 9.

1. Kivlenieks hasn't lost consecutive games all season. (Not to mention he has been the best goalie this year)

Kievlenieks did lose 2 games in a row this season. The most recent was the last 2 games of regular season against SF.

atrain

Kievlenieks did lose 2 games in a row this season. The most recent was the last 2 games of regular season against SF.

atrain

Scott started 2 out of the last 3 games for Sioux City, so Mattiss didn't lose 2 games in Sioux Falls.

Mr Ricochet

Watched and listened to it this morning. Hell of a game and great call by Buc PBP man, Zamora. Exciting and a great crowd too. I also veeeeeery much appreciate Zamora and Steel PBP man Sanderson giving spoiler alerts before they give NHL scores. Wish they and all PBP guys would do that for NHL and USHL game scores.

The Muskegon elimination game was excellent through 2 periods but this went the distance before the outcome was certain. Bucs unfortunately ran into the heavy favorite to win the tournament.

Mr Ricochet

Big win for Yt..spectacular goal by Moise for game winner..youngstown announcers were fired up with that one..should be a dog fight the next 2 games..

Yep, big win for the Phantoms. They played their game, slowed it down, disciplined enough, got a soft goal or two and it should give them some life and belief they can win the next two......... They simply can't allow the Steel to fly up and down the ice. Little chance of winning that way unless Stezka melts down.

Phantoms got a break too IMO the way the game was called. Lotta stuff being let go. The Phantoms I noticed live are very adept in the Babcock school of picks and obstructions, especially off the faceoffs. And of course their style of scrum/stick that only their mother can love can be whistled often........ Hats off to YT. Took what was being given (only 3 infractions) without crossing that night's particular line.

Mr Ricochet

Bucs Site/Erick Zamora Bucs eliminated by Sioux City

Steel Site Youngstown takes Game 3

With the Steel buzzing in the third period, Youngtown managed to add an insurance goal when Brandon Estes fired a shot past Stezka. Despite outshooting Youngstown 13-4 in the third period, the Steel couldn’t solve Kulbakov who stopped 22 of 23 shots on the night.

Vindy.com/Tom Williams Apap's shorty helps Phantoms extend season