• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#61 minor life

Cup Winning Goalie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,453 posts
  • Interests:Hockey, hunting and fishing. Is there much else?

Posted 16 July 2017 - 04:11 PM

Not really.  The player has to be drafted as far as I know for a junior league to be compensated.  I don't do enough NHL stuff to know more than what happens with drafted players, or how to get undrafted kids to camps.  I would think there might be some compensation, though that may be covered within the CHL subsidy. 

Though I think its a bit unfair for us to totally go after the CHL when they get this money, because the NHL pays for College Hockey Inc. and makes sizeable commitments to USAH.  The USHL and NAHL also get funding when players are drafted, but at a lower amount than the CHL. 

Canadian Junior A/Tier II also gets hosed in the compensation agreement.  Cale Makar from the AJHL being taken so early is an example.  His development money from what I am told, goes to the CJHL first and then everyone in the CJHL gets a piece of the pie.  That's about 150 teams taking a cut.  

This division of compensation is why the CHL is designed to be "one league" and so is the CJHL.  Though all of the leagues under those umbrellas are autonomous.

If you ever get a chance you might want to read the NHL/CJHL agreement as well as the Hockey Canada and USAH NHL agreements.

I used to read those, and have not recently since they don't really effect the player.  I do know its big money.  I don't know that I have ever read the CJHL-NHL agreement, but have read the rest of them.  While this discussion is off topic, you have to wonder when NCAA programs throw their development money requests into the ring.

There is a difference between someone who plays hockey, and a Hockey Player. which one are you?

#62 Glenn Gumbley

Checking Forward

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 04:38 PM

Not that uncommon really.  Lock up his rights, send him home to his comfort zone till he is ready.  Kid probably gets a small signing bonus and feels good about his future.  He is also going back to his development club so, there may be some deal between the Sharks and them.  

He signed as a 19 yo Euro FA, he is going to the pro team not the U20 team and Lincoln held his IIHF card???

Euro minor pro flip?

Probably...he has an EAC and he is on loan.

#63 Glenn Gumbley

Checking Forward

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 04:44 PM

Not really.  The player has to be drafted as far as I know for a junior league to be compensated.  I don't do enough NHL stuff to know more than what happens with drafted players, or how to get undrafted kids to camps.  I would think there might be some compensation, though that may be covered within the CHL subsidy. 

Though I think its a bit unfair for us to totally go after the CHL when they get this money, because the NHL pays for College Hockey Inc. and makes sizeable commitments to USAH.  The USHL and NAHL also get funding when players are drafted, but at a lower amount than the CHL. 

Canadian Junior A/Tier II also gets hosed in the compensation agreement.  Cale Makar from the AJHL being taken so early is an example.  His development money from what I am told, goes to the CJHL first and then everyone in the CJHL gets a piece of the pie.  That's about 150 teams taking a cut.  

This division of compensation is why the CHL is designed to be "one league" and so is the CJHL.  Though all of the leagues under those umbrellas are autonomous.

If you ever get a chance you might want to read the NHL/CJHL agreement as well as the Hockey Canada and USAH NHL agreements.

I used to read those, and have not recently since they don't really effect the player.  I do know its big money.  I don't know that I have ever read the CJHL-NHL agreement, but have read the rest of them.  While this discussion is off topic, you have to wonder when NCAA programs throw their development money requests into the ring.

The agreements do in a sense effect the player as far as movement is concerned especially the IIHF junk. Maybe the NCAA could start scholarship funds like some the CJHL, CHL, teams have, you would be surprised who donates to those. Does Lincoln have a scholarship fund? :) :)