Sign in to follow this  
smalt21

Returners------Lincoln

Mr Ricochet

Not that uncommon really. Lock up his rights, send him home to his comfort zone till he is ready. Kid probably gets a small signing bonus and feels good about his future. He is also going back to his development club so, there may be some deal between the Sharks and them.

He signed as a 19 yo Euro FA, he is going to the pro team not the U20 team and Lincoln held his IIHF card???

Meaning Lincoln doesn't get any compensation?

Glenn Gumbley

Not that uncommon really. Lock up his rights, send him home to his comfort zone till he is ready. Kid probably gets a small signing bonus and feels good about his future. He is also going back to his development club so, there may be some deal between the Sharks and them.

He signed as a 19 yo Euro FA, he is going to the pro team not the U20 team and Lincoln held his IIHF card???

Depends on the deal Lincoln would have had to grease the deal and the USHL and Lincoln may have got a piece.

Mr Ricochet

Depends on the deal Lincoln would have had to grease the deal and the USHL and Lincoln may have got a piece.

I certainly don't know the rule, hell I'm sure the USHL won't make that kind of stuff public, but if a kid goes from jr to pro as opposed to moving laterally to another jr team it would seem there is no compensation. For instance I doubt Erie was compensated by Edmonton for McDavid going pro at 18.

Glenn Gumbley

I certainly don't know the rule, hell I'm sure the USHL won't make that kind of stuff public, but if a kid goes from jr to pro as opposed to moving laterally to another jr team it would seem there is no compensation. For instance I doubt Erie was compensated by Edmonton for McDavid going pro at 18.

All leagues get development money and then there is a trickle down. Side deals sometimes are made depending. Hell yes Erie got money, based upon the NHL/CHL agreement.

minor life

Thats the key. The "leagues" get the money. I am unaware of any provision in any agreement that would provide compensation for a non-drafted player though. Draft pick compensation is a dollar amount that varies by pick, and thats paid to the league, and divided amoung the teams. IIHF transfer fee's are standardaized and all any team has to do is pay the agreed to fee. Sometimes fee's are negotiated down, but I have never seen anything negotiated upward cancerning IIHF fee's.

Mr Ricochet

All leagues get development money and then there is a trickle down. Side deals sometimes are made depending. Hell yes Erie got money, based upon the NHL/CHL agreement.

So on top off a check the NHL cuts to the CHL to subsidize them they also cut a check every time they roster a kid who is not out of jr eligibility?

minor life

Not really. The player has to be drafted as far as I know for a junior league to be compensated. I don't do enough NHL stuff to know more than what happens with drafted players, or how to get undrafted kids to camps. I would think there might be some compensation, though that may be covered within the CHL subsidy.

Though I think its a bit unfair for us to totally go after the CHL when they get this money, because the NHL pays for College Hockey Inc. and makes sizeable commitments to USAH. The USHL and NAHL also get funding when players are drafted, but at a lower amount than the CHL.

Canadian Junior A/Tier II also gets hosed in the compensation agreement. Cale Makar from the AJHL being taken so early is an example. His development money from what I am told, goes to the CJHL first and then everyone in the CJHL gets a piece of the pie. That's about 150 teams taking a cut.

This division of compensation is why the CHL is designed to be "one league" and so is the CJHL. Though all of the leagues under those umbrellas are autonomous.

Glenn Gumbley

Not really. The player has to be drafted as far as I know for a junior league to be compensated. I don't do enough NHL stuff to know more than what happens with drafted players, or how to get undrafted kids to camps. I would think there might be some compensation, though that may be covered within the CHL subsidy.

Though I think its a bit unfair for us to totally go after the CHL when they get this money, because the NHL pays for College Hockey Inc. and makes sizeable commitments to USAH. The USHL and NAHL also get funding when players are drafted, but at a lower amount than the CHL.

Canadian Junior A/Tier II also gets hosed in the compensation agreement. Cale Makar from the AJHL being taken so early is an example. His development money from what I am told, goes to the CJHL first and then everyone in the CJHL gets a piece of the pie. That's about 150 teams taking a cut.

This division of compensation is why the CHL is designed to be "one league" and so is the CJHL. Though all of the leagues under those umbrellas are autonomous.

If you ever get a chance you might want to read the NHL/CJHL agreement as well as the Hockey Canada and USAH NHL agreements.

hang10

Euro minor pro flip?

Mr Ricochet

I'm not bangin on the NHL or CHL for NHL money given to teams who develop hockey players. IMO it's a good thing and I hope it's fair compensation for all developmental leagues. Just don't know the rules that's all, and still don't.

minor life

If you ever get a chance you might want to read the NHL/CJHL agreement as well as the Hockey Canada and USAH NHL agreements.

I used to read those, and have not recently since they don't really effect the player. I do know its big money. I don't know that I have ever read the CJHL-NHL agreement, but have read the rest of them. While this discussion is off topic, you have to wonder when NCAA programs throw their development money requests into the ring.

Glenn Gumbley

Euro minor pro flip?

Probably...he has an EAC and he is on loan.

Glenn Gumbley

I used to read those, and have not recently since they don't really effect the player. I do know its big money. I don't know that I have ever read the CJHL-NHL agreement, but have read the rest of them. While this discussion is off topic, you have to wonder when NCAA programs throw their development money requests into the ring.

The agreements do in a sense effect the player as far as movement is concerned especially the IIHF junk. Maybe the NCAA could start scholarship funds like some the CJHL, CHL, teams have, you would be surprised who donates to those. Does Lincoln have a scholarship fund? :) :)