- - - - -

Coaching Carousel

388 replies to this topic

#121 minor life

Cup Winning Goalie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,424 posts
  • Interests:Hockey, hunting and fishing. Is there much else?

Posted 16 May 2017 - 10:30 AM

Actually I did check, and no it didnt happen before the draft.  Contract was booked on the 5th according to WHL officials.

There is a difference between someone who plays hockey, and a Hockey Player. which one are you?

#122 stiffstick

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 11:41 AM

Actually I did check, and no it didnt happen before the draft.  Contract was booked on the 5th according to WHL officials.

Maybe I got some bad info, I’ll check with him again. Maybe Omaha thought Angie would keep him in toe and didn’t stay on him?

#123 herbst20

Cup Winning Goalie

• Admin
  • 3,709 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 03:01 PM

Former RPI coach Seth Appert named the new NTDP coach replacing Danton Cole

#124 Mr Ricochet

Cup Winning Goalie

• Admin
  • 37,123 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 05:10 PM

Sure, mistakes happen. But if you're "details oriented" you don't make the mistake of drafting a player that high who had ALREADY SIGNED MAJOR JUNIOR. Not drafted. Not listed. SIGNED.

Really?  I have seen teams sign Major Junior players after it doesn't work out for them in Major Junior, or after they are cut from Major Junior.  Maybe, they we planning for something that the rest of us are not aware of.  I remember Mervis going after a player who was cut from Plymouth in his OA year.  He didn't get the player, but he went after him hard.  I don't think Mervis has ever done something with a draft that wasn't completely thought out.  Then again, I probably don't know my a$$ from a hat, and these yellow crayons are delicious.

MJ players have always been able to play in the USHL, as a matter of fact Clark Cups have been won by bringing in MJ players that have been let go by CHL teams or it becomes obvious to the USHL head scout or GM that a particular player isn’t going to get his contract mandatory 25, which is all part of the game and why some USHL people keep close track of CHL lists they get from friends.

I think intheknow’s point is that winning teams are made in living rooms, and on the phone. If you don’t have someone to do that stuff you don’t get what you want. 

If this ain't right on nothing is..........Well said.

Crush Em Steel
Blackhawks Rock
RIP Huckleberry. 1995-2009.... Thanks for 14 unforgettable years Huck. You will forever be loved and missed.

#125 Mr Ricochet

Cup Winning Goalie

• Admin
  • 37,123 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 05:13 PM

Mike Watt (@mikewatt19) named as new coach of @BLMThunder, replacing Dennis Williams (@BloomThunderHC). Dan Jewell named GM of hockey ops.

Whew, looks like I beat that breaking news by a few hours huh

When I read the name Mike Watt the other day I had to look him up.  Indeed he's the same Watt who I saw play a season with Muskegon when they were AA pro.   He played with Jack coach Todd Robinson.     http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/leagues/seasons/teams/0009162007.html  Check out the PIM's of that team.   Those were the good old days.     You remember him with the Fury, Minor Life?

Watt had some game, man.  No he wasn't a 140 point guy like Robinson (Trob was a freak) was but I feel safe saying Bloomy won't be playing dump and chase.   ........ I like the hire

Yes, I remember Mike Watt playing for Muskegon.

I remember both from the days prior to the Lumberjacks. If I remember right Mike left school at MSU early after he was drafted and I don't believe he ever finished up his degree so he might have a hard time with an NCAA job. Hope he did or does go back and finish up if possible. TR, is a great story. He went un-drafted in his WHL Bantam Draft year and Ken Hodge had to be convinced to bring him to camp primarily by Adam Deadmarsh's dad who was scouting for Portland at the time. TR ended up lighting up the Dub and went on to pro. I got my haircut a few times at his parents place in Trail when I was in to watch games. Both good young guys. 

Good stuff.   Bet Trob was a sight in juniors..... Never forget him or the Fury back in the day.   The Watt's and Trobs got hit in the UHL and each team had a couple enforcers to deal with the Trob's and Watt's getting hit.  Truly old school hockey. 

Crush Em Steel
Blackhawks Rock
RIP Huckleberry. 1995-2009.... Thanks for 14 unforgettable years Huck. You will forever be loved and missed.

#126 Maiden

2nd Line Center

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 06:40 PM

Great hire. Nice improvement for those kids.

#127 smalt21

Points Leader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 06:58 PM

Great hire. Nice improvement for those kids.

The Engineers were 152-221-48 (.418) under Appert, including four seasons of 23 losses or more. They never advanced beyond the quarterfinals of the ECAC playoffs, although RPI made the 2011 NCAA Tournament as an at-large selection.

#128 minor life

Cup Winning Goalie

• Members
  • 2,424 posts
  • Interests:Hockey, hunting and fishing. Is there much else?

Posted 16 May 2017 - 07:09 PM

Appert is a hell of a coach.  Remember RPI has one of the toughest admission standards of any non Ivy program.  You have to have some serious grades and test scores to get in.  Those that remember Andrew Lord in Wheeling will know what kind of character young men Appert recruits.  Give him some freedom from academic admission standards and he should do very well.  As a point of reference, I had a player with a 32 ACT and 3.6 GPA not get admitted to RPI and he was a Tier II All Star.

There is a difference between someone who plays hockey, and a Hockey Player. which one are you?

#129 turk181

1st Line Center

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 456 posts
  • Interests:RPI Mens Hockey......playing hockey.

Posted 16 May 2017 - 08:17 PM

Appert is a hell of a coach.  Remember RPI has one of the toughest admission standards of any non Ivy program.  You have to have some serious grades and test scores to get in.  Those that remember Andrew Lord in Wheeling will know what kind of character young men Appert recruits.  Give him some freedom from academic admission standards and he should do very well.  As a point of reference, I had a player with a 32 ACT and 3.6 GPA not get admitted to RPI and he was a Tier II All Star.

Andy was at RPI before Appert got the RPI job. You are very correct about the tough admissions though. Any hint as to who the player was that didn’t get in?

#130 Canarse

Checking Forward

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 05:52 AM

Beyond that, most kids know how difficult engineering majors can be.  Even if they can get in they often aren't interested in the work load.

#131 stiffstick

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 06:43 AM

Little different info on my end. The 5th was just the media roll.out. Signed and approved 4 days earlier and they are being super cautious because of the lawsuit. Either way someone wasn't on top of it from the USHL side. Dad has Show-eyes from what I understand. 

#132 herbst20

Cup Winning Goalie

• Admin
  • 3,709 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 07:05 AM

Dubuque Assistant Coach JB Bittner takes assistant coaching job with Ohio State

#133 Saints Fan 22

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 761 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 08:07 AM

Dubuque Assistant Coach JB Bittner takes assistant coaching job with Ohio State

You heard anything on the HC position?   As normal, its being done pretty quietly.  

#134 The Original Zman

Checking Forward

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 08:28 AM

I heard a name but don't feel I should mention it. I believe that the players and fans would be happy if it was this person. I am keeping my fingers crossed. 

#135 Saints Fan 22

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 761 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 08:40 AM

I heard a name but don't feel I should mention it. I believe that the players and fans would be happy if it was this person. I am keeping my fingers crossed. 

Well, initials would work :laugh:

I can think of a couple names that would make players and fans happy, Initials either JC or OD would fit that bill.  

#136 The Original Zman

Checking Forward

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 09:07 AM

B)

Edited by The Original Zman, 19 May 2017 - 09:09 AM.

#137 rustictimber06

2nd Line Center

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 10:12 AM

Bring Back Joe

#138 OutdoorJoe

Points Leader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 11:23 AM

No offense to Joe or Oliver but as a fan I prefer candidates that give the team the best chance to suceed. Not ones that make fans warm and fuzzy inside because they have been in Dubuque before. I have to assume players must feel the same way.

The Saints ownership has shown time and again they have what it takes to find coaches that succeed in the standings and develop players. I dont doubt they will again, whomever it may be. Joe and Oliver included.

Edited by OutdoorJoe, 19 May 2017 - 11:24 AM.

#IVORYTOWER

#139 Saints Fan 22

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 761 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 11:53 AM

No offense to Joe or Oliver but as a fan I prefer candidates that give the team the best chance to suceed. Not ones that make fans warm and fuzzy inside because they have been in Dubuque before. I have to assume players must feel the same way.

The Saints ownership has shown time and again they have what it takes to find coaches that succeed in the standings and develop players. I dont doubt they will again, whomever it may be. Joe and Oliver included.

I have no doubts that is what the ownership is doing, and I am in the same boat you are...but, if it were to be either of those guys, I have no doubt that Dubuque would still be successful, because we have been able to see first hand the way they coach.  

#140 Mr Ricochet

Cup Winning Goalie

• Admin
  • 37,123 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 10:29 PM

Bittner Named Assistant Coach at Ohio State University

“After seeing the Dubuque Fighting Saints from the inside, there is no surprise as to why they have been so successful,” Bittner said. “The job that the ownership group has done to build an elite organization is impressive. Everything about the Saints culture—coaches, trainers, office staff and billet families—is first-class and extremely professional.”

Crush Em Steel
Blackhawks Rock

Reply to this topic

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users