Coaching Carousel

388 replies to this topic

#21 WahooLancer

1st Line Center

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 09 April 2017 - 08:49 PM

Wilkie did play a short period of time for the Lancers prior to going Canadian Junior.  His wife is originally from Pacific Junction, Iowa, a little town 30 miles southeast of Omaha.  Not saying that it will be Wilkie, but I don't see him moving just to move.

Tom

Wahoo, NE

#22 Bigfoot

Agitator in training

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,011 posts

Posted 09 April 2017 - 09:30 PM

I've been a vocal advocate the past few months of believing a coaching change is needed in Sioux Falls, I have heard Owens contract is up, I've heard he has a year left, I've heard he has 3 years left, 5 years left...depends who you listen to as it was never officially announced.

That being said, I believe the Stampede are entering the offseason with Owens at the helm, much to my dismay. They likely will have a large number of returning players next season, we will see what comes of it.

Last I heard he has a year remaining.

My prediction: If the 2017-2018 team mirrors the 2016-2017 team at mid January 2018 I see him leaving at the end of the season, if not sooner.

Edited by Bigfoot, 09 April 2017 - 09:31 PM.

#23 Yeti

Go Stars!

• Global Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,187 posts

Posted 09 April 2017 - 10:04 PM

One name I've heard as a possibility for the Omaha job is Tom Kowal. Current head coach and GM in the NAHL (Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Knights). Played for the Lancers and for UNO.

#24 WahooLancer

1st Line Center

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 09 April 2017 - 10:27 PM

One name I've heard as a possibility for the Omaha job is Tom Kowal. Current head coach and GM in the NAHL (Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Knights). Played for the Lancers and for UNO.

Kowal's dad was a coach up in Alaska.  Lancers used to have a big connection to Alaska with Brian Swanson, Nathan Rochelau, Todd Bethard, Sean Bowman, Kowal, Justin Johnson and a bunch more.  

Lots of rumors out there.  The fan base would love to see the Lancers play with more hustle and intensity.

That said, some type of change needed to be made.

Tom

Wahoo, NE

#25 intheknow

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 05:11 AM

Wilkie's wife is Canadian. His ex wife is a local. Pretty sure with his youngest going to NA or Fargo he would want to get away.

#26 minor life

Cup Winning Goalie

• Members
  • 2,424 posts
  • Interests:Hockey, hunting and fishing. Is there much else?

Posted 10 April 2017 - 06:26 AM

When it comes to grading and projecting players, Omaha can do a lot worse than Sullivan.  Every interaction I have had over the years with him relating to hockey players has been a positive and honest one.  He is not one to play politics and can be a bull in a china shop.  If he is the pick for full time GM, you can expect a very hard working team next year.  You can also expect to see complacent players shown the door.

There is a difference between someone who plays hockey, and a Hockey Player. which one are you?

#27 Mr Ricochet

Cup Winning Goalie

• Admin
  • 37,123 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 08:15 AM

When it comes to grading and projecting players, Omaha can do a lot worse than Sullivan.  Every interaction I have had over the years with him relating to hockey players has been a positive and honest one.  He is not one to play politics and can be a bull in a china shop.  If he is the pick for full time GM, you can expect a very hard working team next year.  You can also expect to see complacent players shown the door.

What's not to like? 

Crush Em Steel
Blackhawks Rock
RIP Huckleberry. 1995-2009.... Thanks for 14 unforgettable years Huck. You will forever be loved and missed.

#28 easmus

Checking Forward

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 139 posts
  • Interests:Red Wings & Stampede Hockey

Posted 10 April 2017 - 03:07 PM

If Owens has term left, the Stampede will be too cheap to can him, even though they should. We have a group of 9 who aren't renewing our season tickets for various reasons, including how boring Scott Owens hockey is to watch. Have heard lots of others are not renewing.

I get that junior hockey is tricky and that Eades may have mortgaged the future for the title, which was a whole lot of fun. BUT, I can't name anyone who has shown improvement under Owens. Under previous coaches you could see improvement of players throughout the season, I think many of the Herd got worse. They looked disorganized and often reverted to hero ball. Really wish they would give Dallas Steward a shot as HC, but it appears we are stuck with Owens another year.

#29 Maiden

2nd Line Center

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 03:58 PM

Dallas Steward returning to Sioux Falls would be a great choice. It was his scouting prowess that helped get Sioux Falls where they were back in the day.

#30 Mr Ricochet

Cup Winning Goalie

• Admin
  • 37,123 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 12:47 PM

U-18's Danton Cole takes the Michigan State head coaching job...........

Crush Em Steel
Blackhawks Rock
RIP Huckleberry. 1995-2009.... Thanks for 14 unforgettable years Huck. You will forever be loved and missed.

#31 Maiden

2nd Line Center

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 01:00 PM

He was coaching the u17's this past season.

#32 Mr Ricochet

Cup Winning Goalie

• Admin
  • 37,123 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 01:19 PM

He was coaching the u17's this past season.

Ok................

Crush Em Steel
Blackhawks Rock

#33 smalt21

Points Leader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 01:26 PM

I would hire David Wilkie for the NTDP opening.

#34 easmus

Checking Forward

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 139 posts
  • Interests:Red Wings & Stampede Hockey

Posted 11 April 2017 - 07:12 PM

Owens on KWSN today. Sounds like he has one more year on his contract and all signs point to him returning.

#35 Mr Ricochet

Cup Winning Goalie

• Admin
  • 37,123 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 07:59 PM

Owens on KWSN today. Sounds like he has one more year on his contract and all signs point to him returning.

As a seller this year he'll have plenty of picks and assets to be a player next year..............

Crush Em Steel
Blackhawks Rock

#36 hackshow22

1st Line Center

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts
  • Interests:Dangles, chuckin pizzas, snippin ched, dirty cellys. Just keep on givin'er.

Posted 12 April 2017 - 10:01 AM

With NMU, Michigan, and the NTDP open, its going to be interesting to see how those openings affect the USHL (if at all).

One of those things you always knew would happen, but I never thought I'd see the day when Berenson wouldn't be coaching the Wolverines!
"I don't care how fast a skater you are, if you don't play this game with a big heart and a big bag of knuckles in front of the net, you don't got dinky-do".

#37 Maiden

2nd Line Center

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 10:12 AM

Lots of speculation that Michigan Tech coach is lead candidate for Michigan and ex RPI coach who is currently assistant coaching U18s at World under 18 tournament is lead candidate for NDTP.

#38 Saints Fan 22

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 761 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 11:47 AM

From the Twitter world:

Jeff Cox @JeffCoxSports

Following
More

Jason Lammers, Ethan Moreau and Blaise MacDonald all met separately w/ Niagara players Monday-today. I'd be shocked if Lammers isn't hired.

Edited by Saints Fan 22, 12 April 2017 - 11:48 AM.

#39 Mr Ricochet

Cup Winning Goalie

• Admin
  • 37,123 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 12:41 PM

From the Twitter world:

Jeff Cox @JeffCoxSports

Following
More

Jason Lammers, Ethan Moreau and Blaise MacDonald all met separately w/ Niagara players Monday-today. I'd be shocked if Lammers isn't hired.

Wow............

Crush Em Steel
Blackhawks Rock

#40 hackshow22

1st Line Center

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts
  • Interests:Dangles, chuckin pizzas, snippin ched, dirty cellys. Just keep on givin'er.

Posted 12 April 2017 - 03:56 PM

Until this post, I had no idea Moreau was coaching at Niagara. His name stands out in this group, because he 1) DID NOT play NCAA hockey, and 2) DOES NOT have a degree. Guy played OHL hockey, and almost 1000 NHL games.

I have no idea what kind of coach he is, or how good, but it is amazing to see the "must have college degree to coach NCAA hockey requirement" myth exposed.

Burkholder had some success at Niagara, but IMHO, going against the NCAA Country Club rules and hiring an "outsider" like Moreau last year (at the very least) may have been his biggest contribution to that team, and college hockey, in general.
>>>Disclaimer: I am in no way, shape or form saying Burkholder was not a good coach, or that he didn't do great things for Niagara hockey.

If there are others without a degree in the NCAA coaching ranks, I'd be interested (as I'm sure others would) to know.

Edited by hackshow22, 12 April 2017 - 04:48 PM.

"I don't care how fast a skater you are, if you don't play this game with a big heart and a big bag of knuckles in front of the net, you don't got dinky-do".

Reply to this topic

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users