Yeti

Coaching Carousel

Mr Ricochet    3
Mr Ricochet

So Noreen jumps from juniors all the way to pro hockey, then back to juniors? Huh? Anyone else find that odd? Did the ECHL team that he was head coach of fire him, or did he leave on his own?

Edit: Just read that Noreen was fired by Orlando back in November.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/solar-bears/os-solar-bears-coaching-change-story,amp.html

He's still a young guy at 34 yrs old, Yeti. He's been successful in the USHL, is going to a solid organIzation that has plenty of talent this coming year. Smalt took a look at who might return for the Storm and it looks like quite a few. http://finishyourcheck.com/topic/111978-returners-tri-city/

Good spot for him to find his bearings?

stiffstick    0
stiffstick

So Noreen jumps from juniors all the way to pro hockey, then back to juniors? Huh? Anyone else find that odd? Did the ECHL team that he was head coach of fire him, or did he leave on his own?

Edit: Just read that Noreen was fired by Orlando back in November.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/solar-bears/os-solar-bears-coaching-change-story,amp.html

Wow, interesting organization?

The owner fires Josh Hauge and Hauge ends up in D-I. Hauge replaced by Jim Hulton who takes the team from 7th in the West (Hauge’s team) his first year to 2nd in the West his next year but is not rehired by the owner and ends up a GM/Head Coach in the QMJHL. The owner brings in Muckalt as contract negotiations are going on with Hulton. Muckalt takes over a strong team from Hulton and wins a cup. The team the next year goes completely in the toilet to last place. Muckalt jumps ship or something and it looks like he will end up D-I somewhere. The owner quickly has Noreen in toe who has been looking everywhere including the CHL and hires him to replace Muckalt. Maybe Noreen figures he can use the job as a stepping stone for a higher level if he is successful. Does anyone know what happened between Noreen and the owners in Youngstown?

Mr Ricochet    3
Mr Ricochet

And Stiff, IIRC Brooks refused to give a coach more than a 1 yr contract until recently...... Interesting and good post.

minor life    2
minor life

Brooksy is an acquired taste lol

TheShow    0
TheShow

Gotta hand it to Brooks really. There was a lot of chatter about him only being in it to give his place a kid to play, but he's proven everyone wrong on that by pouring a LOT into that organization.

H8t2lose    0
H8t2lose

Brooks has been great. He has made some very good improvements to the Viaero Center with more to come. The new score board/video board is awesome (when it worked). The computer software was designed for LaCrosse but it will have new hockey software for this season. He hires good coaches and let's them and their staff run the team. He supports not only the team, the Viaero Center, but the Kearney community as well. It will be fun and interesting to see how the next few months play out with a new coach.

Mr Ricochet    3
Mr Ricochet

Gotta hand it to Brooks really. There was a lot of chatter about him only being in it to give his place a kid to play, but he's proven everyone wrong on that by pouring a LOT into that organization.

Brooks has been great. He has made some very good improvements to the Viaero Center with more to come. The new score board/video board is awesome (when it worked). The computer software was designed for LaCrosse but it will have new hockey software for this season. He hires good coaches and let's them and their staff run the team. He supports not only the team, the Viaero Center, but the Kearney community as well. It will be fun and interesting to see how the next few months play out with a new coach.

Completely forgot about that, Show. You had those who wondered if he bought the club as a place for his kid to play and on top of that he'd only give one year contracts to his coaches. But as H8T points out he's hired solid coaches, won a cup, made improvements to the arena and has been good to the community.

Indeed, this will be a very interesting club to watch this year.

stiffstick    0
stiffstick

Brooksy is an acquired taste lol

Fun guy and great host in LV for Henderson’s camps, treats all the guys great and makes sure they know where not to go to throw their money away. Nice home too.

stiffstick    0
stiffstick

Hockey guy through and through, loves the game. Lowe runs the show for him, kinda like Hull in Lincoln. The same could be said for Robbins or any other owner who has a kid that plays in any league, and there are a bunch doesn’t take long to figure out if it is the kid or the game.

redwing77    0
redwing77

Ok, maybe this is part frustration, but....

It's Sunday. The Lancer tryout camp starts, iirc, Thursday or Friday. For this question, let's pretend I'm the parent of a potential USHL player invited (or in some other way considering) to attend a few tryout camps. Finances are such that I can only afford to attend 2 or 3. My "son" has expressed interest in Tri City, Sioux City, Lincoln, and Omaha.

Can anyone tell me why a parent would be eager to allow their child to try out for Omaha seeing how Omaha has watched other teams fill coaching positions relatively easily and yet, from the outside looking in (and assuming that parents would not have inside information on the front office workings of the Lancer program), the Lancers seem to either be not in any hurry to or completely failing to find a head coach heading into their tryout camp?

It seems that, if what I know is true, if I were a parent, I'd rather spend the money sending my son to try out for a program that has a head coach and/or coaching staff in place. I'd want to know who is leading my son and heading up his development. Sure, GMs are considered part of that process, but none are more "hands on" than the coaching staff.

Or am I just a frustrated fan who just doesn't understand? Maybe I'm overstating how important it is to have a head coach at the tryout camp?

minor life    2
minor life

Josh Mervis has coached before, and is capable of running a great camp, and picking a team. As I said earlier, it will take a special coach to work with Josh and Keith. These are two strong guys, opinionated, and vocal.

Mr Ricochet    3
Mr Ricochet

It's Sunday. The Lancer tryout camp starts, iirc, Thursday or Friday. For this question, let's pretend I'm the parent of a potential USHL player invited (or in some other way considering) to attend a few tryout camps. Finances are such that I can only afford to attend 2 or 3. My "son" has expressed interest in Tri City, Sioux City, Lincoln, and Omaha.

Can anyone tell me why a parent would be eager to allow their child to try out for Omaha seeing how Omaha has watched other teams fill coaching positions relatively easily and yet, from the outside looking in (and assuming that parents would not have inside information on the front office workings of the Lancer program), the Lancers seem to either be not in any hurry to or completely failing to find a head coach heading into their tryout camp?

It seems that, if what I know is true, if I were a parent, I'd rather spend the money sending my son to try out for a program that has a head coach and/or coaching staff in place. I'd want to know who is leading my son and heading up his development. Sure, GMs are considered part of that process, but none are more "hands on" than the coaching staff.

Or am I just a frustrated fan who just doesn't understand? Maybe I'm overstating how important it is to have a head coach at the tryout camp?

Following juniors it's taken me a lot of years to learn (TRY) to keep my emotions in check as there is such a dearth of information and so many moving parts, that said I can't see your post as anything but logical and reasonable.

I'm sure insiders, and advisors, know much more than we do as far as the Lancer "plan" (what's left but the Major Junior championship?) but as you mention parents aren't insiders and not all have advisors. And when a parent comes to this site, and I'm sure others, looking for advice it's inevitable they are told do your research. Tough to research a coaches style and preferences when you don't know who that coach is.

Indeed, confusing at best.

redwing77    0
redwing77

Josh Mervis has coached before, and is capable of running a great camp, and picking a team. As I said earlier, it will take a special coach to work with Josh and Keith. These are two strong guys, opinionated, and vocal.

So Mervis is the coach? Just because he's running a camp, even a great camp, doesn't put my mind at ease as a potential parent of a player that my son will be taken to the next step with the Lancers. Tri City might have gone from first to worst and had coaching turnover this offseason but I still know who will be leading my son in Kearney, NE (Noreen) or in Sioux City (Varady) or in Lincoln (Hartsburg). Mervis, unless he's to be the head coach, is just running the camp. It's just a higher stakes version of a hockey camp really, if there's no coaching staff.

Following juniors it's taken me a lot of years to learn (TRY) to keep my emotions in check as there is such a dearth of information and so many moving parts, that said I can't see your post as anything but logical and reasonable.

I'm sure insiders, and advisors, know much more than we do as far as the Lancer "plan" (what's left but the Major Junior championship?) but as you mention parents aren't insiders and not all have advisors. And when a parent comes to this site, and I'm sure others, looking for advice it's inevitable they are told do your research. Tough to research a coaches style and preferences when you don't know who that coach is.

Indeed, confusing at best.

Precisely. Assuming that it costs around $500/person for airfare (assuming you are an American player traveling domestic) and $100/day in hotel costs (I'm not sure if they stay with billet families during tryout camps.. especially if they aren't returning players to that particular organization) over 3-4 days. I don't know how much it costs to attend the tryout camp itself if there's a registration fee... That's almost $1,000 without the tryout camp fee and food.

Considering that the Lancers drafted several foreign students and those drafted are not currently on or playing for an American or Canadian-based program... what's the plan for them? Do they automatically make the team since they were drafted and are currently living overseas? Why would a 16 or 17 year old Swedish player turn down the SEL for the USHL if the USHL team that drafts them lacks a head coach? I guess that's really risky of Sullivan to draft foreign players with no coaching staff in place. It's more expensive and risky for them to commit than some kid from Michigan or even Massachusetts or California.

stiffstick    0
stiffstick

Weird stuff dude? I know Mr. Mervis follows this site!

minor life

Posted 10 April 2017 - 06:26 AM

“When it comes to grading and projecting players, Omaha can do a lot worse than Sullivan. Every interaction I have had over the years with him relating to hockey players has been a positive and honest one. He is not one to play politics and can be a bull in a china shop. If he is the pick for full time GM, you can expect a very hard working team next year. You can also expect to see complacent players shown the door.”

minor life

Posted 16 May 2017 - 07:51 AM

“Sullivan was head of scouting for Mervis in Muskegon. Mervis is a details oriented operator, and Sullivan dissects players completely before buying in to any of them. I think Freddie Tiffels was a pretty good pickup for Mervis when he was in Muskegon.”

minor life

Posted 16 May 2017 - 08:33 AM

“Really? I have seen teams sign Major Junior players after it doesn't work out for them in Major Junior, or after they are cut from Major Junior. Maybe, they we planning for something that the rest of us are not aware of. I remember Mervis going after a player who was cut from Plymouth in his OA year. He didn't get the player, but he went after him hard. I don't think Mervis has ever done something with a draft that wasn't completely thought out. Then again, I probably don't know my a$$ from a hat, and these yellow crayons are delicious.”

minor life

Posted Today, 11:34 AM

“Josh Mervis has coached before, and is capable of running a great camp, and picking a team. As I said earlier, it will take a special coach to work with Josh and Keith. These are two strong guys, opinionated, and vocal.”

intheknow    0
intheknow

Also, Frederik Tiffels is the best you could come up with? Didn't he get drafted after playing with CR?

Edited by intheknow

redwing77    0
redwing77

How many guys have turned down the Lancer job so far?

I wasn't implying that anyone has. I don't even know if the Lancers have even offerred the job to anyone yet.

Mr Ricochet    3
Mr Ricochet

Also, Frederik Tiffels is the best you could come up with? Didn't he get drafted after playing with CR?

Thought I read every post. What is the reference to Freddy about?

minor life    2
minor life

Whats weird? That I know both men well enough to say that they are strong, opinionated and more than capable? Or is it weird that they would run a camp without naming a HC? Josh and an whole slew of other USHL people read the site regularly and that has never or will ever keep me from expressing my opinion.

Mr Ricochet    3
Mr Ricochet

Was gonna post that when I started following the USHL in 2006 that the Lancers were a cornerstone like franchise. They'd roll into Chicago and had awesome uniforms and could play, and win, won a cup. Looked em up at Hockey db and see they've only had a couple down years in a row but no real playoff success the last 5 years. http://www.hockeydb.com/stte/omaha-lancers-9692.html

Will be good for the league when Omaha finds its legs again.

stiffstick    0
stiffstick

Whats weird? That I know both men well enough to say that they are strong, opinionated and more than capable? Or is it weird that they would run a camp without naming a HC? Josh and an whole slew of other USHL people read the site regularly and that has never or will ever keep me from expressing my opinion.

Absolutely, freedom of speech and expression is very important, and with your myriad of close contacts and personal relationships with owners, coaches, and scouts you offer an unprecedented insight into the realities of the close knit hockey community.

minor life

Posted 07 March 2017 - 08:01 PM

Cox has never spoken to Jeff or Richard. I am sitting in Boston, in Cox's backyard at the USPHL playoffs right now, and no one has spoken to this guy. An absolute fabrication. The player was suspended for the off ice issue and charges. The player was charged with assault and is going through the courts. Jeff resigned about 2 weeks ago, and it had absolutely nothing to do with the player issue, and nothing to do with Richard Gallant.

minor life

Posted 02 April 2017 - 05:04 AM

Cox has no clue. Guy is a moron who doesnt know the game. Not even liked in Boston.

minor life

Posted 07 March 2017 - 08:01 PM

Cox has never spoken to Jeff or Richard. I am sitting in Boston, in Cox's backyard at the USPHL playoffs right now, and no one has spoken to this guy. An absolute fabrication. The player was suspended for the off ice issue and charges. The player was charged with assault and is going through the courts. Jeff resigned about 2 weeks ago, and it had absolutely nothing to do with the player issue, and nothing to do with Richard Gallant.

Husker88    0
Husker88

been hearing one name from a few people on next Lancer coach. Coaching in college now and is a former LANCER!

stiffstick    0
stiffstick

been hearing one name from a few people on next Lancer coach. Coaching in college now and is a former LANCER!

Former Captain if I recall correctly.

minor life    2
minor life

Ok stiffstick, spend forever going through 9 years or so of my posts here. FYI this site is about talking hockey, not talking about people actively on the site. Most people with an axe to grind take it up in PM. That usually requires someone having the stones to expose who they are in private though.