Yeti

Coaching Carousel

Mr Ricochet    2
Mr Ricochet

At no point was the effort an issue, that's why I don't understand the level of hate for Owens coming from some fans. This year's team was never going to be an offensive dynamo and the second half of the season more or less proved that.

• Sioux Falls only won 5 out of their last 24 games (though they did win 4 of their last 7 and the three losses were close games with the scores skewed by EN goals).
  • In those last 24 games they scored 3 goals or more only 5 times.
  • Between Jan 29 and Mar 21, they won ONCE.
  • The normally friendly confines of the Denny didn't prove so - 13-13-2-2 for 30/51 points.
  • Between Jan 1 and Mar 21, they earned 3/20 possible points at home.
  • 14.5% on the PP was a problem all season despite the bright spot of a top 5 PK at 86.3%.
  • SF gave up the most shots in the league by 124. They gave up 290 more than Cedar Rapids.

Wow...........

utgotye    1
utgotye

Indeed. Effort was never a problem. The first half they were able to score some goals but couldn't keep the puck out of the net consistently. Second half corrected some of the defensive issues but the point was made moot by their inability to score. Hell toss in Berdin's injury (missed 15 or so games, not that he would have started them all) and Quercia missing over 20 games. You have to figure Berdin could have stolen at least a game or two during that streak and just having someone like Quercia, easily one of their best playmakers, on the ice is bound to have drummed up SOME offense. No excuses though, as all teams deal with injuries. Everything kind of coalesced into a perfect storm of suck for 6-8 weeks during which their season circled the bowl and went down. The bright spots are the play of some of the younger players, some brought in as affiliates and others through the trades that brought in a haul of picks as well. I do worry a bit about who will wear the C next season because I think Passolt is up there with the best captains this team has ever had and those are some big skates to fill.

Edited by utgotye

desmoinesduster    0
desmoinesduster

Saw some stuff about Allison on here and decided to check up on his stats since he's started.

I knew discipline was important to him, and definitely important to going deep into the playoffs.

13/14 (Rogger) - 1324 PIM

14/15 (Allison 1) - 1041 PIM

15/16 (Allison 2) - 957 PIM

16/17 (Allison 3) - 797 PIM

13/14 (Rogger) - 48

14/15 (Allison) - 55

15/16 - 55

16/17 - 76

Goals- Consistently improved, up around 10 goals since he joined the club

GA - Strong goaltending this year. 13 to16 were around 207 and this year, it was 154 GA.

Lots of young talent for the Bucs, even though they are the second oldest team in the league.

Either way, I am excited for what the future brings for the Bucs.

Edited by desmoinesduster

DM47    0
DM47

Schlossman's Blog

http://undhockey.areavoices.com/?p=106686

According to reports by ESPN’s John Buccigross and Detroit Free Press writer George Sipple, Michigan Tech coach Mel Pearson will be named head men’s hockey coach at Michigan today.

Pearson has been the frontrunner to replace Red Berenson forever.

Pearson was Berenson’s longtime assistant (23 years) and the heir apparent. But after Berenson kept going and going, Pearson eventually went to his alma mater, Michigan Tech six years ago. When he arrived at Tech, he launched a big turnaround in the program. The Huskies have reached the NCAA more than Michigan in the last five years.

That will open up the Michigan Tech job.

My guess is that former Tech assistant Bill Muckalt is very high on Tech’s list. Muckalt won a Clark Cup with Tri City in the USHL last year.

Fargo Force coach Cary Eades has said it would take a perfect job to get him to leave Fargo, but Tech could be intriguing. Tech has been paying its men’s hockey coach more than Northern Michigan — and Tech does have some resources.

herbst20    0
herbst20

I have been told that Muckalt is very likely to go to Michigan and be Pearson's assistant.

Yeti    0
Yeti

I have been told that Muckalt is very likely to go to Michigan and be Pearson's assistant.

USHL HC to college assistant? Interesting. Some might see that as a step down, but that's all relative.

hackshow22    0
hackshow22

Lol- by "perfect job", Eades means North Dakota.

Why wouldn't Muckalt go to Michigan to be an assistant?

1) Its his alma mater, and he will, literally, not have to find a coaching job again (unless the team has several brutal seasons where the whole staff gets fired).

2) He won't be the head coach- significantly less pressure.

3) Less pressure recruiting- just drive 10 minutes down the road to watch the NTDP. Offer about 1/2 of them, get 1/2 of that half to commit and UM recruiting is nearly done for that year! Sprinkle in a couple of players from the USHL, the CJHL, and an average goalie (from anywhere), and you have the next year's Wolverine recruiting class.

Edited by hackshow22

Zugisland    0
Zugisland

Good formula..had to laugh at the simplicity. I live less then a mile from USA arena and see first hand that what you say is true..easy to be a place for scouts to see Ushl hockey and focus on ndtp..

herbst20    0
herbst20

From George Sipple on WTKA: "I think the only way Bill Muckalt is not on the staff is if he's the Tech coach."

Left Behind    0
Left Behind

JB Bittner should be the one in line for the Dubuque job I would think.

Done deal weeks ago from what I understand.

Hockeyfan101    0
Hockeyfan101

How do you know it was done weeks ago?????

Left Behind    0
Left Behind

How do you know it was done weeks ago?????

ML Told me :)

Hockeyfan101    0
Hockeyfan101

I would think the Saints ownership would still go through a search. Bittner very well may be the lead candidate, but I just do not see ownership going automatically to him.

intheknow    0
intheknow

Not shocking. Lammers taking over Niagra has been pretty much a done deal for about 3-4 weeks

Edited by intheknow

smalt21    0
smalt21

If Lammers fails at Niagra, (good chance of happening) he will never get another College opportunity. Why not wait for a better job?

Edited by smalt21

minor life    2
minor life

The only way Lammers fails at Niagara is if he continues the recruiting practices of the University's past. You can not build a D-1 program on Tier II players almost exclusively. Zero recruiting budget for this program is what has killed it. There is no way a program can surviive being run the way it has been run. Lets hope he got a recruiting budget. If he did, then this is a quick turn around.

Zugisland    0
Zugisland

Interesting timing of announcement considering Dubuque still on the midst of playoff run..plus article states they are sensitive to the timing for that..

Zugisland    0
Zugisland

Interesting timing of announcement considering Dubuque still on the midst of playoff run..plus article states they are sensitive to the timing for that..

Saints Fan 22    0
Saints Fan 22

Pretty similar timing to when Monty took the Denver job. Got it out there, so it wasn't a distraction. Bitner may very well be the guy, but I don't see this ownership group not going through the process like they have before. Personally, the first thing they should do is gauge the interest level of Oliver David.

minor life    2
minor life

Pretty similar timing to when Monty took the Denver job. Got it out there, so it wasn't a distraction. Bitner may very well be the guy, but I don't see this ownership group not going through the process like they have before. Personally, the first thing they should do is gauge the interest level of Oliver David.

Don't leave out NAHL Janesville's Joe Dibble. There are a few people out there that could do a nice job.

Mr Ricochet    2
Mr Ricochet

Just to be sure I wanted to see that he was finishing the season as Saints coach, and he is. Link

“We still have a mission ahead of us here in Dubuque, which is to be the best team at the end of the season, and to win our last game,” Lammers added.

Congrats to Mr Lammers and the Saints. They just keep churning out talent on and off the ice. A cornerstone franchise of the USHL, no doubt.