Yeti

Coaching Carousel

minor life    2
minor life

When it comes to grading and projecting players, Omaha can do a lot worse than Sullivan. Every interaction I have had over the years with him relating to hockey players has been a positive and honest one. He is not one to play politics and can be a bull in a china shop. If he is the pick for full time GM, you can expect a very hard working team next year. You can also expect to see complacent players shown the door.

Mr Ricochet    3
Mr Ricochet

When it comes to grading and projecting players, Omaha can do a lot worse than Sullivan. Every interaction I have had over the years with him relating to hockey players has been a positive and honest one. He is not one to play politics and can be a bull in a china shop. If he is the pick for full time GM, you can expect a very hard working team next year. You can also expect to see complacent players shown the door.

What's not to like?

easmus    0
easmus

If Owens has term left, the Stampede will be too cheap to can him, even though they should. We have a group of 9 who aren't renewing our season tickets for various reasons, including how boring Scott Owens hockey is to watch. Have heard lots of others are not renewing.

I get that junior hockey is tricky and that Eades may have mortgaged the future for the title, which was a whole lot of fun. BUT, I can't name anyone who has shown improvement under Owens. Under previous coaches you could see improvement of players throughout the season, I think many of the Herd got worse. They looked disorganized and often reverted to hero ball. Really wish they would give Dallas Steward a shot as HC, but it appears we are stuck with Owens another year.

Maiden    2
Maiden

Dallas Steward returning to Sioux Falls would be a great choice. It was his scouting prowess that helped get Sioux Falls where they were back in the day.

Mr Ricochet    3
Mr Ricochet

U-18's Danton Cole takes the Michigan State head coaching job...........

Maiden    2
Maiden

He was coaching the u17's this past season.

Mr Ricochet    3
Mr Ricochet

He was coaching the u17's this past season.

Ok................

easmus    0
easmus

Owens on KWSN today. Sounds like he has one more year on his contract and all signs point to him returning.

Mr Ricochet    3
Mr Ricochet

Owens on KWSN today. Sounds like he has one more year on his contract and all signs point to him returning.

As a seller this year he'll have plenty of picks and assets to be a player next year..............

hackshow22    0
hackshow22

With NMU, Michigan, and the NTDP open, its going to be interesting to see how those openings affect the USHL (if at all).

One of those things you always knew would happen, but I never thought I'd see the day when Berenson wouldn't be coaching the Wolverines!

Maiden    2
Maiden

Lots of speculation that Michigan Tech coach is lead candidate for Michigan and ex RPI coach who is currently assistant coaching U18s at World under 18 tournament is lead candidate for NDTP.

Saints Fan 22    0
Saints Fan 22

From the Twitter world:

Jeff Cox @JeffCoxSports

Following
More

Jason Lammers, Ethan Moreau and Blaise MacDonald all met separately w/ Niagara players Monday-today. I'd be shocked if Lammers isn't hired.

Edited by Saints Fan 22

Mr Ricochet    3
Mr Ricochet

From the Twitter world:

Jeff Cox @JeffCoxSports

Following
More

Jason Lammers, Ethan Moreau and Blaise MacDonald all met separately w/ Niagara players Monday-today. I'd be shocked if Lammers isn't hired.

Wow............

hackshow22    0
hackshow22

Until this post, I had no idea Moreau was coaching at Niagara. His name stands out in this group, because he 1) DID NOT play NCAA hockey, and 2) DOES NOT have a degree. Guy played OHL hockey, and almost 1000 NHL games.

I have no idea what kind of coach he is, or how good, but it is amazing to see the "must have college degree to coach NCAA hockey requirement" myth exposed.

Burkholder had some success at Niagara, but IMHO, going against the NCAA Country Club rules and hiring an "outsider" like Moreau last year (at the very least) may have been his biggest contribution to that team, and college hockey, in general.

>>>Disclaimer: I am in no way, shape or form saying Burkholder was not a good coach, or that he didn't do great things for Niagara hockey.

If there are others without a degree in the NCAA coaching ranks, I'd be interested (as I'm sure others would) to know.

Edited by hackshow22

Mr Ricochet    3
Mr Ricochet

Until this post, I had no idea Moreau was coaching at Niagara. His name stands out in this group, because he 1) DID NOT play NCAA hockey, and 2) DOES NOT have a degree. Guy played OHL hockey, and almost 1000 NHL games.

I have no idea what kind of coach he is, or how good, but it is amazing to see the "must have college degree to coach NCAA hockey requirement" myth exposed.

Burkholder had some success at Niagara, but IMHO, going against the NCAA Country Club rules and hiring an "outsider" like Moreau last year may have been his biggest contribution to that team, and college hockey, in general.

>>>Disclaimer: I am in no way, shape or form saying Burkholder was not a good coach, or that he didn't do great things for Niagara hockey.

If there are others without a degree in the NCAA coaching ranks, I'd be interested (as I'm sure others would) to know.

Says here he was an assistant at Niagara. http://buffalonews.com/2016/09/21/niagara-hires-nhl-veteran-ethan-moreau-hockey-staff/

And here that before this year he's never coached before (I guess besides youth hockey somewhere). http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=11361

Hack, do you know why the Niagara job is open?

hackshow22    0
hackshow22

Unfortunately, nothing more than what was indicated in the press release.

I was unaware he had been hired at Niagara this year, so it was surprising to see his name in the mix for the HC vacancy. The shocking part of it, again, is Moreau does not have a degree and is not a former college player- an extremely rare case to find in the college ranks.

Mr Ricochet    3
Mr Ricochet

I was unaware he had been hired at Niagara this year, so it was surprising to see his name in the mix for the HC vacancy. The shocking part of it, again, is Moreau does not have a degree and is not a former college player- an extremely rare case to find in the college ranks.

Would be a big jump to go from 1 total year of coaching as an assistant to head coach of a D1 program, no?

hackshow22    0
hackshow22

Would be a big jump to go from 1 total year of coaching as an assistant to head coach of a D1 program, no?

No doubt. I'd be surprised if he got the job, but these days who knows!

redwing77    0
redwing77

Burkholder had some success at Niagara, but IMHO, going against the NCAA Country Club rules and hiring an "outsider" like Moreau last year (at the very least) may have been his biggest contribution to that team, and college hockey, in general.

I'm curious how much leeway there is with the degree requirement?

Could a candidate with stellar credentials but no degree, but is enrolled in college coursework to get such a qualifiable degree be hired? In other words, hired as head coach with condition of continued employment being the successful completion of an approved and accredited collegiate degree by a reasonable amount of time specified in the contract?

DM47    0
DM47

I'm curious how much leeway there is with the degree requirement?

Could a candidate with stellar credentials but no degree, but is enrolled in college coursework to get such a qualifiable degree be hired? In other words, hired as head coach with condition of continued employment being the successful completion of an approved and accredited collegiate degree by a reasonable amount of time specified in the contract?

http://host.madison.com/wsj/sports/college/hockey/badgers-men-s-hockey-tony-granato-finds-inspiration-as-a/article_7b3a547c-63eb-5492-8a88-0898e2bc69b4.html

Granato is working on finishing his degree at Wisconsin

hackshow22    0
hackshow22

The only difference with Granato is that he played at Wisco, so the college hockey background is there.

utgotye    1
utgotye

As a seller this year he'll have plenty of picks and assets to be a player next year..............

Which is precisely why you let him play out his contract. The Stampede got a damn nice haul of picks and players for the next season and have a few nice pieces coming back and off the affiliate list.

Owens was handed a championship winning team or rather what was left of it. With the mortgage on that next season's draft, I thought he did alright all things considered. With a miss on the first round pick, this past season's team never seemed to gel on the ice, at least not until the last month or so of the season, when they played noticeably better. Missing a playmaker like Quercia obviously hurt as well. The issue was that I was seeing some of the same mistakes being made in game 55 as I was in game 5 of the season, and while coaching definitely is a part of that, it's on the players to execute as well. Not sure if the players put too much pressure on themselves or what but once they got used to the new faces and recognized the pressure was off, the quality of their play increased noticeably. The Stampede of the last month or so would have been a playoff team had they played that way all season.

Mr Ricochet    3
Mr Ricochet

Which is precisely why you let him play out his contract. The Stampede got a damn nice haul of picks and players for the next season and have a few nice pieces coming back and off the affiliate list.

Owens was handed a championship winning team or rather what was left of it. With the mortgage on that next season's draft, I thought he did alright all things considered. With a miss on the first round pick, this past season's team never seemed to gel on the ice, at least not until the last month or so of the season, when they played noticeably better. Missing a playmaker like Quercia obviously hurt as well. The issue was that I was seeing some of the same mistakes being made in game 55 as I was in game 5 of the season, and while coaching definitely is a part of that, it's on the players to execute as well. Not sure if the players put too much pressure on themselves or what but once they got used to the new faces and recognized the pressure was off, the quality of their play increased noticeably. The Stampede of the last month or so would have been a playoff team had they played that way all season.

It ain't easy the year after winning the cup. Look at Muckult and the Storm. He had a fire sale, next year won the cup and now another fire sale. I know I'm being redundant but this is what makes the Saint's organIzation so amazing, 7th year in a row in the playoffs and IIRC 4-5 Final 4's and a couple cups.

I watch the Stampede a bit. Great PBP man in Olander and a great HD feed and production. I was impressed by their effort and results they had in the last 4-5 games. Wonder if you think the same or if that says anything to you? IMO it at least shows the players didn't quit on Owens.

utgotye    1
utgotye

At no point was the effort an issue, that's why I don't understand the level of hate for Owens coming from some fans. This year's team was never going to be an offensive dynamo and the second half of the season more or less proved that.

• Sioux Falls only won 5 out of their last 24 games (though they did win 4 of their last 7 and the three losses were close games with the scores skewed by EN goals).
  • In those last 24 games they scored 3 goals or more only 5 times.
  • Between Jan 29 and Mar 21, they won ONCE.
  • The normally friendly confines of the Denny didn't prove so - 13-13-2-2 for 30/51 points.
  • Between Jan 1 and Mar 21, they earned 3/20 possible points at home.
  • 14.5% on the PP was a problem all season despite the bright spot of a top 5 PK at 86.3%.
  • SF gave up the most shots in the league by 124. They gave up 290 more than Cedar Rapids.