Coaching Carousel

148 replies to this topic

#1 Yeti

Go Stars!

• Global Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,138 posts

Posted 09 April 2017 - 10:19 AM

Well, it's that time of year. Who is on the hot seat, and who is not?

As for the team I follow, HC Chris Hartsburg is likely safe. Has one year left on the 3 year extension he signed two seasons ago. Stars have improved each season since his first, but they really need to make the playoffs next season.

Will Omaha and Sioux Falls pull the trigger in the West? I assume Bill Muckalt is safe at Tri-City.

#2 herbst20

Cup Winning Goalie

• Admin
  • 3,642 posts

Posted 09 April 2017 - 10:23 AM

If I had to guess, all the teams in the east will have the same head coaches next year.  

I agree with Yeti that the only coaches on the hot seat are Kaufman and Owens.   I also wonder how much longer Allison (by his own choice) stays behind the bench in Des Moines. 

#3 DM47

Cup Winning Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 985 posts

Posted 09 April 2017 - 10:53 AM

If I had to guess, all the teams in the east will have the same head coaches next year.  

I agree with Yeti that the only coaches on the hot seat are Kaufman and Owens.   I also wonder how much longer Allison (by his own choice) stays behind the bench in Des Moines. 

I don't know how many coaching vacancies their are in college yet, have only heard of Omaha filling their position.  I would think Allison, Varady and maybe Eades could all be candidates for vacancies if they were interested.  Does Montgomery in Denver get any looks at NHL openings making another college vacancy?

#4 Hey Hey Whatdya Say

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 09 April 2017 - 11:23 AM

I don't know how many coaching vacancies their are in college yet, have only heard of Omaha filling their position.  I would think Allison, Varady and maybe Eades could all be candidates for vacancies if they were interested.  Does Montgomery in Denver get any looks at NHL openings making another college vacancy?

I don't see Allison leaving to go for a college job.  I think he wants to be back at Buccaneer Arena next season but his contract is up June 1 so I wouldn't say it's out of the realm of possibility that he and the organization part ways but if that's the case he might just decide to hang it up.  He's been in the Des Moines area for far longer than the three years he's coached the Buccaneers and if he is no longer the coach there he may stay and scout or even look at retirement in my opinion.  As for Assistant Coach Nate Weossner, if he's not back with the Buccaneers I think he's making waves in the right circles and could see him making a move up either to a head coaching position or an assistant coach at a higher level.

#5 jimindm

1st Line Center

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 09 April 2017 - 11:38 AM

I would like to think Allison will be back. As said above, he knew much more about the organization(ownership) than most any other coach that was here. He has been in the area for a long time.

I could see him retiring if the terms were not good for him to stay. Part of him taking the job, was he would be close to home and where his family lived. 

Allison has seen a lot in his career. I would guess he would take into consideration his surroundings as much as the money offered.

I think the assistants are in the same situation. They certainly are learning by working with some one like coach Allison. I could see Allison offering very good advise to those around him, if other opportunities present themselves. 

#6 Yeti

Go Stars!

• Global Mod
  • 5,138 posts

Posted 09 April 2017 - 01:13 PM

Interested to hear from our Omaha fans here. There's no way Kaufman is safe, right? However, after a quick search online, he has one year remaining in his current contract.

Lots of rumors of Omaha AAA head coach David Wilkie getting the job.

#7 Left Behind

Checking Forward

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 09 April 2017 - 01:27 PM

Not sure about Williams either. Expectations havent been met on the ice or the gate, same with Amarillo. If Kevin Constantine goes out early which it looks like he will Davidson will want to pull the trigger and Varady who lives in Everett would be a leading contender if Yuill gives Davidson the OK to make the change.
Never could figure out the Owens hire. I doubt that Eades or Varaday would leave for a US College assistants job and the current openings for head jobs in College pay less than they are making now. From number one with Hultons team to dead last isnt a good sign for Muckalt. I would think that Schiff would get rid of Hull before Hartsburg and move Hartsburg up to GM/HC then bring in an Associate HC.

#8 omalancers

3nd Line Center

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 09 April 2017 - 01:47 PM

Kaufman is out. He was informed this morning waiting on the Lancers to officially release the news.

Interested to hear from our Omaha fans here. There's no way Kaufman is safe, right? However, after a quick search online, he has one year remaining in his current contract.

Edited by omalancers, 09 April 2017 - 01:49 PM.

#9 herbst20

Cup Winning Goalie

• Admin
  • 3,642 posts

Posted 09 April 2017 - 03:34 PM

Kaufman is out. He was informed this morning waiting on the Lancers to officially release the news.

Have heard the same thing with Sullivan taking over GM duties

#10 Yeti

Go Stars!

• Global Mod
  • 5,138 posts

Posted 09 April 2017 - 03:40 PM

Sullivan?

#11 CottonEyeJoe42

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 April 2017 - 03:43 PM

I've been a vocal advocate the past few months of believing a coaching change is needed in Sioux Falls, I have heard Owens contract is up, I've heard he has a year left, I've heard he has 3 years left, 5 years left...depends who you listen to as it was never officially announced.

That being said, I believe the Stampede are entering the offseason with Owens at the helm, much to my dismay. They likely will have a large number of returning players next season, we will see what comes of it.

#12 omalancers

3nd Line Center

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 09 April 2017 - 03:58 PM

Sullivan?

Keith Sullivan rejoined the Lancers this past season as Director of Scouting.

Edited by omalancers, 09 April 2017 - 03:59 PM.

#13 MuskegonFan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 09 April 2017 - 04:40 PM

Pretty sure Pat LaFontaine is safe in Muskegon.

#14 Left Behind

Checking Forward

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 09 April 2017 - 04:41 PM

Sullivan?

Keith Sullivan rejoined the Lancers this past season as Director of Scouting.

He also was the GM for the Lumberjacks, doing all the Lancers Camps, and one of Mike Hastings. Canadian Citizen which brings some baggage depending upon the setup.

Edited by Left Behind, 09 April 2017 - 04:41 PM.

#15 Katiejay27

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 April 2017 - 05:12 PM

Official: http://www.lancers.c...rrer_id=1498138

#16 OmahaHockeyFan

3nd Line Center

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 09 April 2017 - 06:44 PM

Lancers didn't really have a choice. The team hasn't done a single thing well the last three seasons. However, this was Kaufman's first year of a three year contract so I thought maybe he'd get one more season.

It's crazy to think this coaching staff started their career with five straight shutouts.

#17 redwing77

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 09 April 2017 - 06:48 PM

He also was the GM for the Lumberjacks, doing all the Lancers Camps, and one of Mike Hastings. Canadian Citizen which brings some baggage depending upon the setup.

Would you be willing to explain what you mean by "baggage depending upon the setup?"

Lancers didn't really have a choice. The team hasn't done a single thing well the last three seasons. However, this was Kaufman's first year of a three year contract so I thought maybe he'd get one more season.

It's crazy to think this coaching staff started their career with five straight shutouts.

I beg to differ.  The team has gotten progressively worse the last 3 seasons.  I think it was remarkable that Kaufman actually came back this season after all of the stuff I heard (though I'm sure most of it was just exaggerated rumor).

Any ideas on who might be interested in Omaha?  Is it considered a good job within the USHL or is it just "a job?"

#18 intheknow

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 09 April 2017 - 06:49 PM

Dave Wilkie is not even in consideration. Keith Sullivan will likely look to Chad Cassidy Cassidy Northwood Prep or Dan Wildfong of the Lone Star Brahmas. Wilkie has been the rumor for a while because he's local and it makes logical sense, as he's created a top notch AAA program and consistently does more with minimal talent than anyone in the country-but it won't be him. He'll probably go MJ route, as that's his background.

#19 OmahaHockeyFan

3nd Line Center

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 09 April 2017 - 07:24 PM

I beg to differ.  The team has gotten progressively worse the last 3 seasons.  I think it was remarkable that Kaufman actually came back this season after all of the stuff I heard (though I'm sure most of it was just exaggerated rumor).

Any ideas on who might be interested in Omaha?  Is it considered a good job within the USHL or is it just "a job?"

The problem was Kaufman had a great start in his first season and then an ok second season, getting swept in the first round. So going into his third and final year of his contract, it wasn't quite clear what his potential was. We had seen him coach well, though by inheriting a lot of talent. Problems might have been correctable.

Omaha signed Kaufman to three more years before last season started. It was the polite thing to do by giving coaches security instead of coaching through a season of unknowns. And up to that point, Lancers had never completely fallen apart.

However, the new contract put the organization in a tough spot when things went really bad. But yes, things definitely got worse each season. I don't know anything about rumors. But I rarely saw a high compete level from Omaha. Players were never on the same page. They pretty much collapsed into the slot defensively and tried to outnumber opponents behind the net. Results were terrible.

#20 Left Behind

Checking Forward

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 09 April 2017 - 08:10 PM

Would you be willing to explain what you mean by "baggage depending upon the setup?"

US Immigration and work visa stuff.

Edited by Left Behind, 09 April 2017 - 08:12 PM.

Reply to this topic

7 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users