Sign in to follow this  
herbst20

2017-2018 Tenders

herbst20

Youngstown has tendered Trevor Kuntar .

The Harvard commit is the 1st tender of the year.

smalt21

YOUNGSTOWN, OH- The Phantoms have signed forward Trevor Kuntar to a USHL tender. Kuntar, a native of Williamsville, NY, is Youngstown’s first tender signing prior to the USHL Phase I Draft.

“I am looking forward to continue to develop my skills with the Phantoms.” Said Trevor Kuntar. “The coaching staff, and team are the right fit for me to become the best player I can be.”

Kuntar is currently a high school sophomore and spent this past season with the Buffalo Jr. Sabres U16 AAA program. In 32 games with the Jr. Sabres in the Tier One Elite League, Kuntar had 27 points (12G-15A) and 46 penalty minutes. The 5’11”, 165 pound left-shot forward is committed to Harvard University at the conclusion of his time in the USHL with the Phantoms.

“Given Trevor's location in Buffalo, our staff has been able to watch Trevor play numerous times starting this past July through the season and we felt that he was an elite level player in this birth class and someone we wanted in our organization moving forward from a player standpoint. In the fall, we had the chance to meet Trevor and his family during a visit with us and that solidified the fact that not only that we could bring to Youngstown a top notch hockey player, but also a great student athlete, person, and parents into our program as well - which means so much to us. We’re ecstatic to sacrifice our first round pick in the Phase One Draft on, May 1st in trade for knowing that we will be getting Trevor’s talent moving forward. Our club knows we are getting a player that will develop into a successful top six caliber forward who plays the right way all over the ice, has a high hockey IQ, will make players around him better, and comes in with an edge and desire to win.” Said Phantoms General Manager Jason Koehler.

With this signing, Youngstown will be forfeiting its first round pick in the 2017 Phase 1 Draft on May 1st.

Kuntar is just the seventh player to sign a USHL tender in Phantoms team history. 2015 first round NHL draft pick Kyle Connor (Winnipeg Jets) became Youngstown’s first tender back in 2012, along with JJ Piccinich, who was also a fourth round NHL Draft pick of the Toronto Maple Leafs in 2014. Youngstown has tendered one player in each of the past three seasons. Current Phantoms' forwards, Curtis Hall and Max Ellis were tendered last spring in 2016.

United States Hockey League teams are allowed to add, or “tender”, up to two players that are eligible for Phase I of the upcoming draft to their roster, prior to the draft. If a team decides to use one of their tenders on a player, that team forfeits one or both of their first two round selections in the Phase I Draft.

Mr Ricochet

Takes me back to Assistant Coach Mannino saying when asked what's the biggest change in the Steel this year and he answered, we changed the culture. I could rattle of a bunch of positive changes I've noticed since the ownership change but I'll let the signing of their first ever tender, no matter who it was, along with their record, do the speaking.

Congrats to the kid, Steel, their fans and the USHL.........

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=385680

Mastrosimone is the second player to tender with a USHL team in 2017. Forward Trevor Kuntar signed earlier this month with the Youngstown Phantoms.

The final day for USHL teams to sign a tender is Sunday, April 30, 2017.

smalt21

There has to be more Tenders coming soon. My guess is at least 4 more.

Yeti

There has to be more Tenders coming soon. My guess is at least 4 more.

5 days left to make that happen.

smalt21

Maybe some of the Coaching unrest is having an effect on Tenders.

Maiden

The 01 birth year doesn't have enough quality players to assure they have to play 55% of the games next year.

herbst20

Cedar Rapids usually tenders a player but is pointless with having the #1 pick. I am pretty sure they have an agreement with a certain player this year.

Maiden

Cedar Rapids usually tenders a player but is pointless with having the #1 pick. I am pretty sure they have an agreement with a certain player this year.

They can tender a player and use another 1st round or a 2nd round pick (if they own any of them)

Sioux Falls did that last year when they owned the #1 pick. Tendered 1st round #9 prior to draft.

Jimmythegreek

Does anyone know the draft order or who has what picks ?

Thanks

herbst20

Does anyone know the draft order or who has what picks ?

Thanks

The Phase I draft goes true to the standings for Round 1.

Round 2 there is 1 for sure movement and possible a 2nd based on Conditions of a trade.

Round 3 only 1 pick changed hands.

Rounds 4-6 there was quite a few trades and conditional trades.

Yeti
USHL tenders signed since 2012.

2012 = 8

2013 = 7

2014 = 6

2015 = 8

2016 = 10

2017 = 2 (deadline is this Sunday)

DM47

Did Eades ever Tender anyone when he was in Sioux Falls? I believe Bellows was just a draft pick wasn't he? I believe Fargo has Tendered 2 players in the past, Butrus Ghafari and Christian Cakebread.

TheShow

Man...Cakebread... I'm glad he's been able to find himself after getting absolutely ruined by Marks.

utgotye

Sioux Falls' only tender has been Jaxon Nelson, at least to my recollection. Bellows was a draft pick.