Sign in to follow this  
Mr Ricochet

USHL Week 26 Articles 3/20

Mr Ricochet

USHL Site Players of The Week

The United States Hockey League announced the CCM Forward, Defenseman and Goaltender of the Week for Week 26 of the 2016-17 season. A trio of Green Bay Gamblers earned weekly awards, as Casey Mittelstadt was named Forward of the Week, Connor Mackey picked up Defenseman of the Week honors and Maksim Zhukov was named Goaltender of the Week. Mittelstadt tallied two goals and four assists in three games, his first games with the Gamblers since Nov. 12. Mackey dished out five assists in three games and continues to lead all USHL defenseman in scoring, and Zhukov made 53 saves in his two starts to backstop Green Bay to a pair of victories. CCM Hockey is the official equipment provider of the USHL.

Mr Ricochet

Article from Jeff Johnson: 10 Former Riders playing or coaching professional hockey in the State of Iowa. 6 with the Iowa Wild (AHL) 4 with QC Mallards (ECHL)

http://www.thegazette.com/subject/sports/blogs/diamonds-and-ice-by-jeff-johnson/its-a-roughriders-state-20170324

Solid piese by Johnson...... Good read. Got to see a Quad City Mallards game this year and it was great to see all the USHL guys on the club. Warning is still one of my favorite all time USHL players and my guy ex Gambler Nolan LaPorte is on the club.

Mr Ricochet

Thanks, 64....... Just read this, a really good piece. Ambition is a great thing but so is happiness and they don't always go hand in hand. No doubt PK could have moved "up the ladder" but he was smart enough to know a good thing when he saw it and stayed in Loo.

“There have been opportunities to leave, but maybe experience gives you wisdom,” said O’Handley, who thought more about coaching professionals when he first returned to the USHL. “This became a pretty good place. We have a great building, great resources. … I think I’m coaching at one of the purest levels of the game with some of the best young talent in the game.

DM47

Thanks, 64....... Just read this, a really good piece. Ambition is a great thing but so is happiness and they don't always go hand in hand. No doubt PK could have moved "up the ladder" but he was smart enough to know a good thing when he saw it and stayed in Loo.

There have been opportunities to leave, but maybe experience gives you wisdom, said OHandley, who thought more about coaching professionals when he first returned to the USHL. This became a pretty good place. We have a great building, great resources. I think Im coaching at one of the purest levels of the game with some of the best young talent in the game.

I have been wondering with all the college openings this year if Eades will potentially be leaving Fargo or if he is content in the USHL. There has to always be at least some desire for a new challenge to compete at a higher level.

Mr Ricochet

There have been opportunities to leave, but maybe experience gives you wisdom, said OHandley, who thought more about coaching professionals when he first returned to the USHL. This became a pretty good place. We have a great building, great resources. I think Im coaching at one of the purest levels of the game with some of the best young talent in the game.

I have been wondering with all the college openings this year if Eades will potentially be leaving Fargo or if he is content in the USHL. There has to always be at least some desire for a new challenge to compete at a higher level.

PK is an anomaly in this regard. So many move up when an opportunity presents and as a developmental league it's expected. That's why a guy like PK and his story is refreshing. I'm guessing Steel coach Muse will be courted, as he should, too. Only a matter of time.

I was listening to The U-Show a couple weeks back and Steel assistant coach Manino was being interviewed and was asked what was the biggest change Muse has made with the Steel and he right away said changed the culture. It was great to hear and if that becomes the case you see coaches move on but there is a culture around a franchise and they simply reload, kinda like Dubuque.

Of course that starts at the top with ownership and allows for sustained success and a culture of professionalism.

herbst20

How long has Carlson been in the league?

Since the beginning of the Roughriders in 1999