USHL GDT 3/18 (Saturday Recap)

45 replies to this topic

#21 Mr Ricochet

Cup Winning Goalie

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,935 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 08:10 PM

Steel with a grade a 2 on 1 shorty chance that Thome stops. 

Crush Em Steel
Blackhawks Rock
RIP Huckleberry. 1995-2009.... Thanks for 14 unforgettable years Huck. You will forever be loved and missed.

#22 Mr Ricochet

Cup Winning Goalie

• Admin
  • 36,935 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 08:13 PM

Period ends with WTL up 2-1.   SOG in the period 14-8 Loo and 25-19 through 2 periods........ Hawks will have 2:27 left on Walker's biting Major to start the 3rd. 

Good period for the fan.   Game opened up as both teams found some speed and chances. 

Crush Em Steel
Blackhawks Rock
RIP Huckleberry. 1995-2009.... Thanks for 14 unforgettable years Huck. You will forever be loved and missed.

#23 Mr Ricochet

Cup Winning Goalie

• Admin
  • 36,935 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 08:18 PM

My guy O'neill with a beauty block of a point slapper on the kill, carries it in, cross ice feeds Shore in the crease, whiffs at a wide open cage. 

Crush Em Steel
Blackhawks Rock

#24 Mr Ricochet

Cup Winning Goalie

• Admin
  • 36,935 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 08:21 PM

Steel nicely kill Walker's 5 minute Biting Major.   2-3-4 excellent shot blocks and a grade a shorty chance........ See how much Walker's Biting Major took out of their legs. 

Crush Em Steel
Blackhawks Rock

#25 Ryan

Cup Winning Goalie

• Global Mod
  • 4,364 posts
  • Interests:Musketeers, Avalanche, and USHL hockey.

Posted 18 March 2017 - 08:23 PM

SC leads 8-1 in the 3rd. 2 goals from Kelleher, Tolvanen, and Tufto. Rigali and Vance with the other Musketeer goals.

USA being out shot 47-14.

Nice turnaround from last night, where they only managed 2 goals. Good to see SC put up some goals and put the game out of reach.

And with the win, the Muskies clinch a playoff spot!

#26 Mr Ricochet

Cup Winning Goalie

• Admin
  • 36,935 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 08:25 PM

Steel's Johnstone off for a hold at 5:40.........

Crush Em Steel
Blackhawks Rock

#27 Mr Ricochet

Cup Winning Goalie

• Admin
  • 36,935 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 08:26 PM

Steel's Johnstone off for a hold at 5:40.........He's on the #1 PK unit.   Looks like Gratton slides into that spot with my guy Badini. 

Crush Em Steel
Blackhawks Rock

#28 Mr Ricochet

Cup Winning Goalie

• Admin
  • 36,935 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 08:37 PM

At about 8:30 of the 3rd the Hawks get another one that kicks off the end boards and out the other side.   Miura carries it in, play looked very close to being offsides, nicely checks up and feeds Spaxman, again he shoots wide, again puck comes out the other side, slammed home.  3-1.  Cates gets the goal, his 10th of the season.......... Loo now up 31-21 in shots with Walkers 5 minute Biting Major and Johnstone off for a hold. 

Crush Em Steel
Blackhawks Rock

#29 Mr Ricochet

Cup Winning Goalie

• Admin
  • 36,935 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 08:40 PM

PK has found a soft spot off the rush as the Steel are leaving the Dmen open to drop deep and the Hawks have fed the Dmen 3-4 times 10 minutes into the 3rd for some dangerous chances. 

Crush Em Steel
Blackhawks Rock

#30 Mr Ricochet

Cup Winning Goalie

• Admin
  • 36,935 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 08:54 PM

Steel cut the lead to 1 at 12:25 of the 3rd.   Badini carries it in, slips it to Long, he loses it into the corner but hustles it down, rims it to Walsh at the point, he twirls and sweeps it on goal, knocked down by a Dman, Badini had smartly gotten lost on the weak side and slams home his 27th of the season, 3-2. 

Crush Em Steel
Blackhawks Rock

#31 blackhawk64

Checking Forward

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 09:14 PM

Must of been all the cowbells Rico that dove him to bite another player?? Because the Loo is the only barn that uses them. I can hear the Mike Tyson chant now

#32 Mr Ricochet

Cup Winning Goalie

• Admin
  • 36,935 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 09:15 PM

45 seconds left, Stezka pulled, Mirageas plays it like a hand grenade in Loo's zone, coughs, picked up and sent down for an empty netter.  4-2.

Stezka pulled, faceoff in Loo zone, Badini 50/50's it, Tralmaks busts into the circle, takes the thing and whips it past Thome. 4-3 with 14 seconds left.   That's how it ends..........  

Crush Em Steel
Blackhawks Rock

#33 Mr Ricochet

Cup Winning Goalie

• Admin
  • 36,935 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 09:27 PM

Must of been all the cowbells Rico that dove him to bite another player?? Because the Loo is the only barn that uses them. I can hear the Mike Tyson chant now

Bells were ringing but that's a given.   Line change, ring the bell, offsides, ring the bell, icing, ring the bell, puck flies into the crowd, ring the bell.........If that's how the fans articulate their thoughts God bless em.  

Good game, I enjoyed it.   5 minutes into the 2nd the shackles came off and both clubs started moving their feet.   Some nice feeds, good goaltending, thought some in game adjustments were made........

I like the Steel effort on the big surface.   Two goals against off the end wall that bounced out the other side, one feed from behind the net meant for the guy in the slot went through him and to a man in the circle who scored, they killed all 25 minutes of PP time against, only got 6 minutes of PP time, arrived at 3:00 AM.    Pretty much an even game but the bounces went against Chicago on this night. 

Not the result a Steel fan would like but a fun game for the fan. 

Crush Em Steel
Blackhawks Rock

#34 DMBucshighlights

Cup Winning Goalie

• Members
  • 1,531 posts
  • Interests:hockey!

Posted 18 March 2017 - 09:58 PM

Line change, ring the bell, offsides, ring the bell, icing, ring the bell, puck flies into the crowd, ring the bell

Most annoying thing in the whole league in my opinion. Real fans don't need bells.

I make highlights for the Des Moines Buccaneers. Check me out: http://www.youtube.c...ts?feature=mhee

Twitter: https://twitter.com/DMBucshighlight

Facebook: DMBucshighlights

#35 desmoinesduster

Checking Forward

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 11:28 PM

Line change, ring the bell, offsides, ring the bell, icing, ring the bell, puck flies into the crowd, ring the bell

Most annoying thing in the whole league in my opinion. Real fans don't need bells.

Maybe you're on to something. Leave the bells at home, tell Sieveman, Beadman, Candyman (or any other superfan) to sit still, don't play any "Make some noise" videos (or any other chants for that matter), tell the Lancer Chicken to keep his football, and while we're at it, take out the goal horn and any other chant along with it.  Maybe then we'll have a perfect team and arena.

Personally, I don't have a problem with a loud arena, and isn't that what the team wants? 

http://www.hockeydb....HL1999&sid=2017Waterloo averages 37 more fans than DM. I haven't been to Waterloo in two years, but every time I've went, its been rocking. Des Moines? I can't remember the last time we've had a memorable amount of sound in our arena. Omaha's Ralston Arena averages over 500 more people than Waterloo, and as far as I can remember, Waterloo is still louder, by FAR. 

Every arena has its own traditions. Do other fans like our arena? Probably not. Do other fans like the noise at places like Dubuque, CR or Waterloo? Probably not. Do they like Lincoln fan's and chants? Probably not.

In the end, I see it like a good pest. Brad Marchand, Filip Rydstrom or Sean Dhooge are a few examples. Everyone hates him except for the team he plays for, and the home fans love him to death. Every team has their own traditions, most of the time, opposing fans hate them, but home fans live by them.

#36 DMBucshighlights

Cup Winning Goalie

• Members
  • 1,531 posts
  • Interests:hockey!

Posted 19 March 2017 - 09:58 AM

Maybe you're on to something. Leave the bells at home, tell Sieveman, Beadman, Candyman (or any other superfan) to sit still, don't play any "Make some noise" videos (or any other chants for that matter), tell the Lancer Chicken to keep his football, and while we're at it, take out the goal horn and any other chant along with it.  Maybe then we'll have a perfect team and arena.

Personally, I don't have a problem with a loud arena, and isn't that what the team wants? 

http://www.hockeydb....HL1999&sid=2017Waterloo averages 37 more fans than DM. I haven't been to Waterloo in two years, but every time I've went, its been rocking. Des Moines? I can't remember the last time we've had a memorable amount of sound in our arena. Omaha's Ralston Arena averages over 500 more people than Waterloo, and as far as I can remember, Waterloo is still louder, by FAR. 

Every arena has its own traditions. Do other fans like our arena? Probably not. Do other fans like the noise at places like Dubuque, CR or Waterloo? Probably not. Do they like Lincoln fan's and chants? Probably not.

In the end, I see it like a good pest. Brad Marchand, Filip Rydstrom or Sean Dhooge are a few examples. Everyone hates him except for the team he plays for, and the home fans love him to death. Every team has their own traditions, most of the time, opposing fans hate them, but home fans live by them.

The last thing I need right now is to get into another arguing match with somebody so I'll choose my words carefully here. I never said I had a problem with fans making noise. In fact, I think all those people you mentioned are great people (even Omaha's chicken). I just don't like cowbells. 

Of course Waterloo's arena is going to be louder by far. That would be true of any team that decided to let their fans use cowbells. It doesn't take much effort to ring a bell and that means you can be louder for longer periods of time. The low ceiling in Waterloo just adds to it.

I agree that it is a good pest. The Bucs are looking at making the playoffs for the first time in 10 years but I'm seriously considering whether or not I would go to Waterloo if that was who we ended up playing. To me that speaks volumes. Now that is not just because of the cowbells. I've had some bad experiences there (and also heard of others bad experiences) but those are other stories for another day.

Let me put it this way, if we took all the cowbells out of Waterloo how loud do you think they could be? Don't get me wrong I still think it would be above average in the league, but we probably wouldn't be hearing much on those icings, offsides, etc.

I make highlights for the Des Moines Buccaneers. Check me out: http://www.youtube.c...ts?feature=mhee

Twitter: https://twitter.com/DMBucshighlight

Facebook: DMBucshighlights

#37 Mr Ricochet

Cup Winning Goalie

• Admin
  • 36,935 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 10:03 AM

Agreed, and it makes each experience and your home ice unique.   I'm not a guy who takes time to smell the roses on any journey but agree that fans are just enjoying their time at the arena and feel part of the game.

But I do notice the intelligence of fans much more than their participation.   This struck me a couple games back in Chicago when they shut out Muskegon.  The fans acknowledged a good shift, a nice defensive effort a blocked shot vocally.  That is this fans most enjoyable part of a fan group........But the bells do drown out commentary from the crowd which to me is much more amusing than any artificial noise maker.   

Another thing I noticed since watching Hockey TV that I don't live is how much the fans enjoy all the goofy stoppage of play dances, songs, games, mascot stuff.  Makes the experience more complete and is an important part of selling the experience and tickets. 

Agreed, ring your bells, dance, have fun and come back again and support your club.    

Crush Em Steel
Blackhawks Rock

#38 Mr Ricochet

Cup Winning Goalie

• Admin
  • 36,935 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 10:17 AM

The Saints @ 18's was a very good game.   Liked how the Saints adjusted and slowed the 18's down, paid more attention to detail, took away the center of the ice especially in their own zone and were much more positionally sound.  Made this tilt a dog fight.   Castor had a really nice game and it was tough to see the kid get beat on two scrum goals from the blue paint, but the 1st one he's gotta cover the puck. 

Didn't realize Guttman was a 99.  The 2015 6th round Phase I pick is 16th in scoring and only behind the Muskegon Cossack in rookie scoring at just under a point per game.   Really like that line of Preston-Guttman-Hamacher.   they have the speed and skill to give any 2nd rotation D grouping trouble behind the Solow-Gerards-Theisen line.

Nice rebound game for the Saints and IMO a window into how tough this club can be come playoff time. 

Crush Em Steel
Blackhawks Rock

#39 Mr Ricochet

Cup Winning Goalie

• Admin
  • 36,935 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 10:21 AM

Enjoyed the Bucs @ Fargo game as well.   Solid game with excellent goaltending as Murray shut em out.   I think a split was fair to both sides as these two gave the fans two solid games this weekend.  Lotta shots and a lotta pace with very good goaltending. 

Rookie Dman 99 Phillips stands out more each time I see the Force.   Nice player.........

Crush Em Steel
Blackhawks Rock

#40 DM47

Cup Winning Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 10:54 AM

Enjoyed the Bucs @ Fargo game as well.   Solid game with excellent goaltending as Murray shut em out.   I think a split was fair to both sides as these two gave the fans two solid games this weekend.  Lotta shots and a lotta pace with very good goaltending. 

Rookie Dman 99 Phillips stands out more each time I see the Force.   Nice player.........

Best news for Force fans is Phillips is only a Junior in High School and will be back next season. One of my favorites the last few seasons gas been Shane McMahon. That guy works his tail off every game. Was also glad to see Dougherty pull back in the lineup last night. He had been scratched the last few games but came in and made an impact last night.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users