Sign in to follow this  
Mr Ricochet

USHL GDT 3/17 (Friday Recap)

Mr Ricochet    3
Mr Ricochet

I counted 1 shot by the Saints on the 5 minute PP............Under 5 minutes left, 4-2 USA.

Mr Ricochet    3
Mr Ricochet

Lost the feed...............

Saints Fan 22    0
Saints Fan 22

I counted 1 shot by the Saints on the 5 minute PP............Under 5 minutes left, 4-2 USA.

Saints power play is brutal right now. Regardless, every time I see the U18s there is almost always a play like that one, just a straight cross check to Baum's face....it's really ridiculous.

Mr Ricochet    3
Mr Ricochet

Steel's Walker suspended (1 game), Lutz out ill, Green, Halme and Kachyna healthy scratches. Means my guy Seyfert draws in.

Despite the Stezka shutout last game vs MUS Rasmussen gets the call vs Swayman.

Mr Ricochet    3
Mr Ricochet

Dale Tallon taking in the Steel game........... 4 minutes in Steel on a PP, getting outshot like 8-2.

Mr Ricochet    3
Mr Ricochet

Steel strike on the PP at 5:20 of the 1st. Lillibridge from the point slides it over to Jaremko at the top of the right circle, he wires a one time slapper far side high, 1-0.

McLaughlin got some PP time.

Mr Ricochet    3
Mr Ricochet

Steel feed unwatchable............

Mr Ricochet    3
Mr Ricochet

Steel feed unwatchable............

Wish I could share what the 6th pick in the Phase I draft looked like playing for the 1st place Steel looked like. Feed gave a paying customer maybe 10 minutes of hockey to watch spread out over the 60 minutes. Worst part is this isn't really uncommon on a feed out of Chicago.

Tune in and hopefully you see some hockey.

Mr Ricochet    3
Mr Ricochet

Saints power play is brutal right now. Regardless, every time I see the U18s there is almost always a play like that one, just a straight cross check to Baum's face....it's really ridiculous.

Yea he USA clubs can get a bit chippy. We know that coming in every year now.......

Think the Saints came in last night 6-3-1 their last 10 and the way the 18's have looked I wouldn't have been surprised to see the 18's beat em bad. The 1st period was what the 18's have looked like the last few weeks, the much faster club, wide open hockey and outshooting the opponent. The 18's dictated the style in the 1st outshooting em 17-6 but tied at 2.

Thought the Saints nicely slowed the game and flow down the last 2 periods although Castor was still tested but kept the Saints in the game. Thought the line of Hamacher-Guttman-Preston was very good and matched the 18's speed. Thought there was a chance the twin towers would have a tough time with the speed and pace of the game but IMO they showed ok acknowledging Suthers was a -4.

IMO the 18's are as good as anyone in the league right now and are just a handful. No team can match their pace but I did like Lammers pressuring their D in the attack zone making a trigger tough and create turnovers from the youngsters. Saints smartly tried to play the game along the wall............. Look forward to tonight's tilt to see what adjustments are made. The 32-19 SOG advantage the 18's had and the Saints down 2 going into the 3rd and getting only 4 SOG were true indicators of the game.

Question. Does Castor always start slow? Now that I'm able to watch he seems shaky most of the time in the 1st period and then settles in.

Mr Ricochet    3
Mr Ricochet

Hey 47, who was doing the call for the Force and where is the regular guy? He did just fine but there is no replacing their regular guy who is as good as they come.........

Force ran into what most clubs do, great goaltending from DM. Ruzicka was the difference in the Bucs 3-2 win. Force outshot em 35-17 but couldn't get on the board until the 3rd down 3-0. IMO Murray needed to stop that 2nd goal from a bad angle and the 1st he might have been screened on the point shot, but if not he needed that one too.

Game got really good in the 3rd when the Force got two PP tallies to pull withing 3-2 at the 10:00 mark. Two solid PP goals where the puck was nicely moved around the zone ending in great feeds by Lizotte and Phillips to set up the goals. Not many ways to beat Ruzicka but no goalies are making saves on those two PP goals.

Solid road win for the Bucs but if I'm the Force I'll take my chances outshooting them by a bunch again in the 2nd of the back to back tonight.

Mr Ricochet    3
Mr Ricochet

Saints Site/Jordan Kuhns Saints fall at U-18s

Dubuque forced USA into taking 49 minutes’ worth of penalties, and seven power play opportunities came out of those infractions, but the Saints could only score on one of those opportunities. USA went 0-for-1 on the man advantage.

USA Site 18's take down Dubuque

Stampede Site/Jim Olander Down 3-0 Stampede rally for a point in OT loss at Chicago

The Stampede jumped on the Steel early in the overtime and registered a couple of quality scoring chances, but couldn’t cash in. The Steel won the game when they took advantage of a Stampede change and got the puck into the hands of Jaremko who skated in on a breakaway and beat Swayman five-hole on a backhand shot to give Chicago a 4-3 victory.

Chicago outshot the Stampede 38-33 on the night and finished 2-for-6 on the power play while the Herd were 1-for-6.

Steel Site Steel set franchise marks for points and wins in OT win over Sioux Falls

Bucs Site/Erick Zamora Bucs thwart Fargo comeback in 3-2 win

InForum/Jeff Kolpack Down 3-0 Force comeback falls short

The effort in the final period was noble and it was no fluke the Fargo Force outshot Des Moines 35-17 over the course of the USHL game Friday night, March 17 at Scheels Arena. But it was still a 3-2 loss for the Force, a feeling they hadn't experienced since Feb. 11.

That was the last defeat in regulation, a streak of nine games that included six wins and three ties.

WCFcourier Hawks win 4-2 at Madison

Caps Site Caps drop 4-2 decision to Waterloo

Phantoms Site/Matt Lipczak Phantoms top Omaha 4-1

Lancers Site/Isaac Berky Youngstown skates past Lancers, 4-1

Jacks Site/Scott Bradford Two hat tricks propel jacks to 9-1 win at Tri City

Storm Site/David Fine Storm clobbered by Muskegon

Thunder Site Thunder stay hot with win at Lincoln behind Halladay and Durflinger

Jake Durflinger scored with 2:36 left in regulation to extend the Bloomington Thunder’s season-high point streak to six games with a 2-1 win over the Lincoln Stars on Friday night at the Ice Box.

Reigning USHL Goaltender of the Week Logan Halladay kept the Thunder (22-23-7, 51 pts) right with the Stars (27-19-5, 59 pts) all night and made 31 saves to help give Bloomington its fourth win in its last six games.

LJS/Tim Gray Loss to Bloomington hurts Stars' playoff hopes

“Nobody is stepping up, nobody is ready to take charge,” the coach said. “It was just like we thought we scored in the second, and we thought, 'Hey it's going to be easy now and just keep going.'

“I don't know why we think we are so much better than everyone else, because we are not,” Hartsburg added. “If we don't play the game the right way, we are just as average as anyone in the league.

“Unfortunately, our kids are going to find out the hard way you can't make the playoffs by cheating. It's unfortunate because we had an opportunity to build off our last game (a 7-3 win over Team USA), and we didn't do that.”

DM47    0
DM47

Hey 47, who was doing the call for the Force and where is the regular guy? He did just fine but there is no replacing their regular guy who is as good as they come.........

Force ran into what most clubs do, great goaltending from DM. Ruzicka was the difference in the Bucs 3-2 win. Force outshot em 35-17 but couldn't get on the board until the 3rd down 3-0. IMO Murray needed to stop that 2nd goal from a bad angle and the 1st he might have been screened on the point shot, but if not he needed that one too.

Game got really good in the 3rd when the Force got two PP tallies to pull withing 3-2 at the 10:00 mark. Two solid PP goals where the puck was nicely moved around the zone ending in great feeds by Lizotte and Phillips to set up the goals. Not many ways to beat Ruzicka but no goalies are making saves on those two PP goals.

Solid road win for the Bucs but if I'm the Force I'll take my chances outshooting them by a bunch again in the 2nd of the back to back tonight.

Not familiar with this guy. My wife had to work last night so she watched the beginning of the game from home and commented that she did not care for him.

I felt like Des Moines disrupted play along the boards and didn't allow Fargo to get into their normal cycling game. They got shots, I didn't think they got a lot of quality chances until the 3rd.

The first goal of the game I was pretty mad about at the time. Phillip Alftberg was carrying the puck out of the zone and an oblivious stick to the skate, tripped and lost possession, Des Moines held the zone passed the puck back up to the point where it was shot and tipped on the way to the net.

The second goal looked worse on the replauthor then it did from my seat. It looked like Murray had most of the net covered except the very top corner,but on the replay it looks like he had a lot of room between him and the post,so a lot more for Johnson to see then I did.

Braden Costello from Grand Forks had a good night for Des Moines picking up 2 assists after his high school team went undefeated and won the state championship in North Dakota. There was a good contingent of Des Moines fans in house with a very small crowd. Announced as 2900 paid attendance, I would say 1000 never showed up.

The Original Zman    0
The Original Zman

Rico, IMHO Castor has not looked as solid as of late. Not sure what the issue is. He does seem to start slow. He has let in the first shot of the game or of the period on several occasions. Of course there has been some defensive lapses in some cases, but that is where your goalie needs to make the big save.

Saints Fan 22    0
Saints Fan 22

Rico, IMHO Castor has not looked as solid as of late. Not sure what the issue is. He does seem to start slow. He has let in the first shot of the game or of the period on several occasions. Of course there has been some defensive lapses in some cases, but that is where your goalie needs to make the big save.

They have rode him like a horse this year. I'm starting to wonder if he is tired, lots of lazy rebounds etc...I'm guessing once the playoff spot is clinched we will see more Fear prior to the playoffs

Mr Ricochet    3
Mr Ricochet

They have rode him like a horse this year. I'm starting to wonder if he is tired, lots of lazy rebounds etc...I'm guessing once the playoff spot is clinched we will see more Fear prior to the playoffs

You make a good point, 22. But I'd add Castor is 5th in minutes played for what that's worth and his SPG is a less than sparkling .903. Maybe that's just what he is, a middle of the road goalie in this league.

Now I haven't seen him all year just the past 5-6 games and it just seemed he starts slow and wondered if that's his MO. he bites hard on everything and can't control his rebounds. He's not the smoothest or most technical guy so he needs to see the puck and be in rhythm is my guess and that takes him a bit, at least from what I've seen.

I know Fear's numbers ain't great and he looks shaky sometimes but I generally like the kid, have seen him twice I think........ Really a fan just has to trust Lammers to set his #1 up to be sharp come April.

Mr Ricochet    3
Mr Ricochet

Not familiar with this guy. My wife had to work last night so she watched the beginning of the game from home and commented that she did not care for him.

I felt like Des Moines disrupted play along the boards and didn't allow Fargo to get into their normal cycling game. They got shots, I didn't think they got a lot of quality chances until the 3rd.

The first goal of the game I was pretty mad about at the time. Phillip Alftberg was carrying the puck out of the zone and an oblivious stick to the skate, tripped and lost possession, Des Moines held the zone passed the puck back up to the point where it was shot and tipped on the way to the net.

The second goal looked worse on the replauthor then it did from my seat. It looked like Murray had most of the net covered except the very top corner,but on the replay it looks like he had a lot of room between him and the post,so a lot more for Johnson to see then I did.

Braden Costello from Grand Forks had a good night for Des Moines picking up 2 assists after his high school team went undefeated and won the state championship in North Dakota. There was a good contingent of Des Moines fans in house with a very small crowd. Announced as 2900 paid attendance, I would say 1000 never showed up.

Again the PBP guy is sitting in for a real pro. No he didn't seamlessly ooze stats like the regular guy (Brad Anderson?) but he did enough homework to know who was who on the Bucs. I thought he did a good job just that your #1 is fantastic and no matter who sits in will be a drop off. I planned on watching both games in Fargo this weekend and was looking forward to listening to Brad Anderson (?).

So the 1st goal was a tip/redirect? Then that's a different story and a tough to impossible stop.

The guy who jumped out is Bucs 99 Isaac Johnson. Not so much cuz he scored twice but was dangerous and I hadn't really noticed him until last night. Looking now he has 8 points in his last 10 games, a hattrick in that span, 16 shots and is a +1.