Sign in to follow this  
Edgecumbe

Madison to Racine

Edgecumbe    0
Edgecumbe

Heard today that new Wisconsin entry will be move of Madison to Racine with Leipold,

Sagissor and Suter group. Lack of attendance and too much competition in Madison were reasons given..

herbst20    0
herbst20

Heard today that new Wisconsin entry will be move of Madison to Racine with Leipold,

Sagissor and Suter group. Lack of attendance and too much competition in Madison were reasons given..

1st off welcome to FYC. We are happy you found the forum.

This would be an interesting development but one that theortically makes sense with the Suters relationship with the Wild.

minor life    2
minor life

This would be the exact result that some of us predicted would happen when Madison was first announced. This is/was an example of someone not paying attention to the market, and going with their "beliefs" instead of real research. Racine might be an improvement, but it wont be a tremendous improvement.

Maiden    2
Maiden

This would be the exact result that some of us predicted would happen when Madison was first announced. This is/was an example of someone not paying attention to the market, and going with their "beliefs" instead of real research. Racine might be an improvement, but it wont be a tremendous improvement.

This is something we both agree on

Mr Ricochet    3
Mr Ricochet

Welcome to FYC! :beers:

A quick Google search for Racine hockey brought up this August 24th 2016 article. Link

Minnesota Wild owner and Racine resident Craig Leipold on Wednesday lent his support to a new arena in Downtown Racine and said he would help bring a United States Hockey League team to the facility.

“If a Downtown arena is something the Racine community wants, and will support, then I commit my best efforts to bring a United States Hockey League team to the new arena,” Leipold said in a statement. “The excitement of hockey would be a great fit for our hometown.”

If Leipold will bring some more NHL types into the lil ole USHL I'll see if the Mighty Chicago Blackhawks will let his Wild win a game or two in a playoff series so he can get a couple more gates to cover expenses. :smokingjoe:

kwey24    0
kwey24

This is something we both agree on

While Racine won't actually average tons more people than Madison, the feel will be different. Instead of being an afterthought, you'll be one of the main attractions. It'd be kind of like the Dubuque Fighting Saints. Their attendance numbers will never top the league (they can't, their arena is too small), but the Fighting Saints are the thing to do and Dubuque takes pride in their USHL team (and their new arena--which the community did an awesome job coming together to make it on the cheap but not cheaply). So, even if Racine is only averaging 2,400 fans a game, the atmosphere and the feel around the community is going to be totally different.

Maiden    2
Maiden

What makes anyone believe a team in far southeastern Wisconsin will draw any better than Chicago or Madison?

People in the far northern suburbs of Illinois wouldn't make the 45 minute drive to Bensenville to see the Steel; now there going to drive a tad less than that for Racine?

minor life    2
minor life

Racine demographics do not support a USHL franchise. Percapita income is $13,000 less per year than the state average alone! That is a big red stop sign for anyone who knows what they are doing in this business. Median home value is almost 50% lower than the rest of the state. Another stop sign. Hate to point out the obvious controversial issue but only half of Racine residents are caucasian. This is still a niche sport that draws predominantly caucasian fans, thats a truth, not me being racist. These are three very big issues.

Mr Ricochet    3
Mr Ricochet

Racine demographics do not support a USHL franchise. Percapita income is $13,000 less per year than the state average alone! That is a big red stop sign for anyone who knows what they are doing in this business. Median home value is almost 50% lower than the rest of the state. Another stop sign. Hate to point out the obvious controversial issue but only half of Racine residents are caucasian. This is still a niche sport that draws predominantly caucasian fans, thats a truth, not me being racist. These are three very big issues.

Another thing, thanks to Hockey TV, I'm noticing more and more in Muskegon is there are a handful of black families in the crowd most every game.

ML, Muskegon has to be in the ballpark of income, earnings and housing values of Racine? I admit the hockey roots are deep in Muskegon though........... If the Wild owner is looking to move a team to his home town he knows the demographics and all the particulars. He's not going in with rose colored glasses.

minor life    2
minor life

Another thing, thanks to Hockey TV, I'm noticing more and more in Muskegon is there are a handful of black families in the crowd most every game.

ML, Muskegon has to be in the ballpark of income, earnings and housing values of Racine? I admit the hockey roots are deep in Muskegon though........... If the Wild owner is looking to move a team to his home town he knows the demographics and all the particulars. He's not going in with rose colored glasses.

Good comparison, and another example of a market not producing enough to survive long term. That's with the much longer hockey tradition.

Maiden    2
Maiden

In the years I've been to Muskegon the building is 75-80% full. If they need 100% capacity to stay afloat that's a bad business plan.

Mr Ricochet    3
Mr Ricochet

In the years I've been to Muskegon the building is 75-80% full. If they need 100% capacity to stay afloat that's a bad business plan.

You talking about jrs or pros?

Maiden    2
Maiden

USHL

You talking about jrs or pros?

USHL

minor life    2
minor life

Maiden, you need to get your eyes checked, or you must have been there the total of three times since going junior that they have actually had those size crowds. They need to average around 2200 a night paid to break even. Notice I said paid. Not the freebees that come with corporate deals.

ktf    0
ktf

With the exception of Sioux Falls, is any USHL team really doing well at the gate?? It seems that attendance is sharply down across the league from where it was say 10 years ago.

Maiden    2
Maiden

Maiden, you need to get your eyes checked, or you must have been there the total of three times since going junior that they have actually had those size crowds. They need to average around 2200 a night paid to break even. Notice I said paid. Not the freebees that come with corporate deals.

I suppose ticket takers can slap a "freebie" label on each patron's forehead so when I attend Muskegon games I can become better informed.

desmoinesduster    0
desmoinesduster

Any connection between Ryan Suter (owner the Capitals) and Craig Leipold (owner of the Wild / Racine team)?