- - - - -

A Minnesota USHL Entry?

51 replies to this topic

#41 hydrogyrum

3nd Line Center

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • Interests:Nothing except myself and my entertainment.

Posted 21 March 2017 - 03:04 PM

I'm thinking about opening up my underwear as a USHL facility.

#42 Mr Ricochet

Cup Winning Goalie

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,688 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 04:04 PM

Does BLOOMY go to Minny

Every year we have rumors that rarely materialize and this year is no different.  Most are reasonable as a fan looks at attendance numbers and connects the dots and Bloomy fits right in.  Bloomy does fit any rumor this year.........

The Canadian oil price shock is still hurting and Bloomy hasn't met projections at the gate so a move somewhere wouldn't be out of the question I wouldn't think, nor would staff changes for that matter.

Help me out, LB.   How does the low price of oil in Canada affect the Bloomington Thunder.   What am I missing? 

Crush Em Steel
Blackhawks Rock
RIP Huckleberry. 1995-2009.... Thanks for 14 unforgettable years Huck. You will forever be loved and missed.

#43 Mr Ricochet

Cup Winning Goalie

• Admin
  • 35,688 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 04:08 PM

There are pluses and minuses to either way. More puck touches will help out playing at a lower level but also playing against the tougher competition will force you to be a better player.

While not the same level my experience this season was my 5 year old played on the mite team (u8) for the season, he didn't do a lot in the mite games but improved a ton from the start of the season, the last weekend him and the other u6 kids played against other mini-mite teams in Minnesota and the difference in confidence and skill was evident in our team. There is no magic formula and every player has to look at the pros and cons to their decision. In a couple seasons we will probably have to choose between going to squirts or playing a 4th season of mites and at that point the extra touches and playing down will probably be the better choice

A kid as young as 5-6-7-8-9-10 is a different animal for me.   I know they don't check at that level but there is still contact to a degree.  Again, all depends on the kid.   If he's strong on his skates where he safe along the boards, won't slide in head first for example, and able to avoid a bad hit, maybe. 

At 12-13 those kids can shoot the puck too. 

Crush Em Steel
Blackhawks Rock
RIP Huckleberry. 1995-2009.... Thanks for 14 unforgettable years Huck. You will forever be loved and missed.

#44 Left Behind

Checking Forward

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 04:26 PM

Does BLOOMY go to Minny

Every year we have rumors that rarely materialize and this year is no different.  Most are reasonable as a fan looks at attendance numbers and connects the dots and Bloomy fits right in.  Bloomy does fit any rumor this year.........

The Canadian oil price shock is still hurting and Bloomy hasn't met projections at the gate so a move somewhere wouldn't be out of the question I wouldn't think, nor would staff changes for that matter.

Help me out, LB.   How does the low price of oil in Canada affect the Bloomington Thunder.   What am I missing?

The owner, although somewhat diversified is an old Alberta Oil guy. The price of oil up here hurt a lot of people. As far as the hockey interests are concerned the WHL franchise is doing okay depending on how you want to read their financials. Bloomy and Amarillo not so good. The NA3HL team takes care of itself, but the BB teams aren't doing great. There are a lot of rumors about getting out of Kevin Constantine's contract in Everett unless they go deep, which BTW could mean Varady would be a prime candidate as he actually lives in Everett and was an assistant there. You told me to behave myself so I won't bother with disputing someone else's coaching assessment as far as Bloomy is concerned. :)

Edited by Left Behind, 21 March 2017 - 04:27 PM.

#45 herbst20

Cup Winning Goalie

• Admin
  • 3,542 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 02:46 PM

A twitter account is trying to gage interest in bringing a team to the state of hockey. Here is a survey they recently put out. https://docs.google....iewform?c=0&w=1

twitter account is:  @MNUSHLTeam

#46 minor life

Cup Winning Goalie

• Members
  • 2,270 posts
  • Interests:Hockey, hunting and fishing. Is there much else?

Posted 27 March 2017 - 03:54 PM

A twitter account is trying to gage interest in bringing a team to the state of hockey. Here is a survey they recently put out. https://docs.google....iewform?c=0&w=1

twitter account is:  @MNUSHLTeam

This is highly unlikely to be legitimate.  The USHL would never allow something like this.  Remember the Flint debacle? 

There is a difference between someone who plays hockey, and a Hockey Player. which one are you?

#47 minor life

Cup Winning Goalie

• Members
  • 2,270 posts
  • Interests:Hockey, hunting and fishing. Is there much else?

Posted 28 March 2017 - 11:58 AM

Minnesota now looking unlikely for 2017.  Looking like Bloomy may survive one more season before moving.  Rumor, nothing confirmed, but several are saying they will be back for one more year. 

There is a difference between someone who plays hockey, and a Hockey Player. which one are you?

#48 herbst20

Cup Winning Goalie

• Admin
  • 3,542 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 12:32 PM

Minnesota now looking unlikely for 2017.  Looking like Bloomy may survive one more season before moving.  Rumor, nothing confirmed, but several are saying they will be back for one more year. 

Heard the same. I was told Bloomy missed a deadline to withdraw.

#49 Yeti

Go Stars!

• Global Mod
  • 5,086 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 01:02 PM

Heard the same. I was told Bloomy missed a deadline to withdraw.

If Madison were to want to move to Racine, is there a deadline involved with that decision?

#50 Maiden

3nd Line Center

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 02:01 PM

Doesn't Racine need an arena built first? 

#51 Yeti

Go Stars!

• Global Mod
  • 5,086 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 02:12 PM

Doesn't Racine need an arena built first? 

I have no idea.  Maybe I'm thinking of another town that's been rumored to get a USHL team.

#52 Maiden

3nd Line Center

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 02:40 PM

Racine is that city but I believe the funding for a new arena is part of a huge downtown entertainment project to be voted on by the city council.

At least that's what I thought I read somewhere.

Reply to this topic

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users