Sign in to follow this  
Mr Ricochet

A Minnesota USHL Entry?

Mr Ricochet    3
Mr Ricochet

The current owner of the Steel will leave the Chicago market for 2 reasons:

a. He prefers his sons play in the USPHL alphabet soup free to pay junior league based in the east coast where they are from. Or

b. His sons all age out and he doesn't need the USHL any longer.

Couple thoughts. Firstly when the club was sold I was told this dude is loaded and needs a team for his boys to play. That it might be a short run once his kids are done with juniors. So this isn't out of left field and is a possibility. And if it happens this way it won't be the first or last time it happens. But as I watch the franchise this year I have questions.

Why would Robbins pick the very highest level for his boys to play? Why not buy an NAHL team or USPHL team? Somewhere closer to home? Both leagues attract plenty of scouts.

Why would he spend for a top flight front office/coaching/scouting/advertising if he's out in 3-4 years? In other words it seems to me he's building this franchise, minus a USHL type arena, for the long haul.

And now that the franchise foundation has been built if Robbins wants out in 3-4 years the franchise is an attractive one if he were looking to sell. And my guess is the USHL, and NHL, wants a franchise in Chicago with two airports to get in and out quickly, the Blackhawks and AHL Wolves and Rockford within 60 miles so scouts can easily see the league.

I think to say anything definitively is nothing but a guess.

Mr Ricochet    3
Mr Ricochet

The current owner of the Steel will leave the Chicago market for 2 reasons:

a. He prefers his sons play in the USPHL alphabet soup free to pay junior league based in the east coast where they are from. Or

b. His sons all age out and he doesn't need the USHL any longer.

Couple thoughts. Firstly when the club was sold I was told this dude is loaded and needs a team for his boys to play. That it might be a short run once his kids are done with juniors. So this isn't out of left field and is a possibility. And if it happens this way it won't be the first or last time it happens. But as I watch the franchise this year I have questions.

Why would Robbins pick the very highest level for his boys to play? Why not buy an NAHL team or USPHL team? Somewhere closer to home? Both leagues attract plenty of scouts.

Why would he spend for a top flight front office/coaching/scouting/advertising if he's out in 3-4 years? In other words it seems to me he's building this franchise, minus a USHL type arena, for the long haul.

And now that the franchise foundation has been built if Robbins wants out in 3-4 years the franchise is an attractive one if he were looking to sell. And my guess is the USHL, and NHL, wants a franchise in Chicago with two airports to get in and out quickly, the Blackhawks and AHL Wolves and Rockford within 60 miles so scouts can easily see the league.

I think to say anything definitively is nothing but a guess.

Something else I forgot to add. Robbins sprung to take the Steel to Russia last year for that Junior Hockey Club tournament thingy.

North of 60    0
North of 60

If a player and his family is dumb enough to believe Minnesota high school is better than the USHL, well, they deserve what they get. Without even watching the USHL, all you have to do is research the players.

It's almost as dumb as someone saying the national championship college football team is better than the Cleveland Browns. Sorry folks, everyone on the Cleveland Browns was a top player in college and now has even more experience. Almost everyone in the USHL was one of the very, very best players in their previous league (once in awhile you get a specific role player for whom that's not true, but it's few and far between).

There's nothing magical about USHL practices. I saw plenty of 16-year-olds make the jump too early, lose their confidence, and end up people nobody's even heard of now. Very little goes wrong waiting to go to the USHL or major juniors (or the NAHL). A lot can go wrong if you go too soon.

As for Tanner Lane, would an extra year of USHL hockey really have made any difference? I highly, highly doubt it. Your talent is, what your talent is. Did playing in the USHL forever like Tristan Llewellyn help him much? Nick Petrecki? I'm not even arguing that those two went early. What I'm saying is they plateaued. Same with Tanner Lane. Would it have made a difference for Nico Sacchetti if he'd gone to the USHL earlier? (Would he have even made it any earlier?) Tanner Lane's topping out where he did had nothing to do with playing in the USHL one less year and everything to do with that's the amount of talent he has. If you're going backwards on UNO, that's a you problem.

As Nick Leddy shows, if you're good enough, you're good enough. As Nick Jensen shows, if you're good enough, you're good enough. As Nic Dowd shows, if you're good enough and work you a-- off, you're good enough. As Patrick Maroon shows, if you're good enough, you're good enough. There are many routes to the NHL.

I've never seen a kid who played in the USHL at 16 where I said, "Man, it's a good thing that kid played in the USHL at 16, otherwise he would never made the league and never have been anything."

I agree with this post. Hanowski and Benik put up Nintendo numbers in high school and faired just fine in the process. You also have the overhyped big school kids that don't pan out like Lane. If they have it, they have it.

Mr Ricochet    3
Mr Ricochet

If a player and his family is dumb enough to believe Minnesota high school is better than the USHL, well, they deserve what they get. Without even watching the USHL, all you have to do is research the players.

It's almost as dumb as someone saying the national championship college football team is better than the Cleveland Browns. Sorry folks, everyone on the Cleveland Browns was a top player in college and now has even more experience. Almost everyone in the USHL was one of the very, very best players in their previous league (once in awhile you get a specific role player for whom that's not true, but it's few and far between).

There's nothing magical about USHL practices. I saw plenty of 16-year-olds make the jump too early, lose their confidence, and end up people nobody's even heard of now. Very little goes wrong waiting to go to the USHL or major juniors (or the NAHL). A lot can go wrong if you go too soon.

As for Tanner Lane, would an extra year of USHL hockey really have made any difference? I highly, highly doubt it. Your talent is, what your talent is. Did playing in the USHL forever like Tristan Llewellyn help him much? Nick Petrecki? I'm not even arguing that those two went early. What I'm saying is they plateaued. Same with Tanner Lane. Would it have made a difference for Nico Sacchetti if he'd gone to the USHL earlier? (Would he have even made it any earlier?) Tanner Lane's topping out where he did had nothing to do with playing in the USHL one less year and everything to do with that's the amount of talent he has. If you're going backwards on UNO, that's a you problem.

As Nick Leddy shows, if you're good enough, you're good enough. As Nick Jensen shows, if you're good enough, you're good enough. As Nic Dowd shows, if you're good enough and work you a-- off, you're good enough. As Patrick Maroon shows, if you're good enough, you're good enough. There are many routes to the NHL.

I've never seen a kid who played in the USHL at 16 where I said, "Man, it's a good thing that kid played in the USHL at 16, otherwise he would never made the league and never have been anything."

I agree with this post. Hanowski and Benik put up Nintendo numbers in high school and faired just fine in the process. You also have the overhyped big school kids that don't pan out like Lane. If they have it, they have it.

Welcome 60...........

And no Kwey I guess there isn't anything magical about a USHL practice except to say the talent, speed, size, skill, goaltending is eons ahead of even the best HS game let alone practice.

Acknowledging there is not one right answer or path for any player all things being equal find the best, play the best and you'll improve faster than your peers who didn't and maybe get an early jump on that scholarship or spot on an international tournament roster or top prospect game and be seen by more scouts.

iowaninja    1
iowaninja

There are pluses and minuses to either way. More puck touches will help out playing at a lower level but also playing against the tougher competition will force you to be a better player.

While not the same level my experience this season was my 5 year old played on the mite team (u8) for the season, he didn't do a lot in the mite games but improved a ton from the start of the season, the last weekend him and the other u6 kids played against other mini-mite teams in Minnesota and the difference in confidence and skill was evident in our team. There is no magic formula and every player has to look at the pros and cons to their decision. In a couple seasons we will probably have to choose between going to squirts or playing a 4th season of mites and at that point the extra touches and playing down will probably be the better choice

Mr Ricochet    3
Mr Ricochet

Does BLOOMY go to Minny

Every year we have rumors that rarely materialize and this year is no different. Most are reasonable as a fan looks at attendance numbers and connects the dots and Bloomy fits right in. Bloomy does fit any rumor this year.........

ChrisDilks    0
ChrisDilks

Kasson, Minnesota's rink is not an NA3HL caliber facility....Cambridge/Isanti could be an option

I've never been to the rink at Kasson. How does it not qualify but C-I does? Does the place not have four walls?

kwey24    0
kwey24

David Johnson Arena in Isanti doubles Kasson's seating and actual has a concourse of sorts. You could actually pull off a stream of a game at Isanti, too, from that concourse and have an acceptable camera angle. Isanti also has the one concourse overlooking the endboards on one side. Kasson has less seating than Hopkins (if you've ever been there). Hopkins probably has two more rows than Kasson. I think Kasson only have four rows, if memory serves. David Johnson has eight and it goes the whole length of the ice.

It's no contest between Kasson and Isanti.

Again, though, Marshall, Minnesota, and its new arena would be my first choice for a new NA3HL team in Minnesota or relocated NA3HL team Minnesota.

Left Behind    0
Left Behind

Does BLOOMY go to Minny

Every year we have rumors that rarely materialize and this year is no different. Most are reasonable as a fan looks at attendance numbers and connects the dots and Bloomy fits right in. Bloomy does fit any rumor this year.........

The Canadian oil price shock is still hurting and Bloomy hasn't met projections at the gate so a move somewhere wouldn't be out of the question I wouldn't think, nor would staff changes for that matter.

minor life    2
minor life

Does BLOOMY go to Minny

The Canadian oil price shock is still hurting and Bloomy hasn't met projections at the gate so a move somewhere wouldn't be out of the question I wouldn't think, nor would staff changes for that matter.

Staff changes not likely, a move on the other hand highly likely, possible dark for a season.

iowaninja    1
iowaninja

possible dark for a season

Has any team every came back from this?

Maiden    2
Maiden

I keep hearing Bloomington could possibly become a tenant in the new St Louis Blues practice facility.

minor life    2
minor life

possible dark for a season

Has any team every came back from this?

These owners are not just any other group. That said, I don't believe they stay with this ownership group if they don't warp up a relocation deal soon.

casemagnum    0
casemagnum

I keep hearing Bloomington could possibly become a tenant in the new St Louis Blues practice facility.

This could be interesting as the SC ownership group is from St. Louis. Most people here wish Jim K. would take back over. Jim even said a few years back he wishes he wouldn't have sold. Jim was there at almost every home game thanking every fan as they left the main entrance and knew most by name. That says a lot but also means a lot to most.

hydrogyrum    0
hydrogyrum

I'm thinking about opening up my underwear as a USHL facility.

Mr Ricochet    3
Mr Ricochet

Does BLOOMY go to Minny

Help me out, LB. How does the low price of oil in Canada affect the Bloomington Thunder. What am I missing?

Mr Ricochet    3
Mr Ricochet

There are pluses and minuses to either way. More puck touches will help out playing at a lower level but also playing against the tougher competition will force you to be a better player.

While not the same level my experience this season was my 5 year old played on the mite team (u8) for the season, he didn't do a lot in the mite games but improved a ton from the start of the season, the last weekend him and the other u6 kids played against other mini-mite teams in Minnesota and the difference in confidence and skill was evident in our team. There is no magic formula and every player has to look at the pros and cons to their decision. In a couple seasons we will probably have to choose between going to squirts or playing a 4th season of mites and at that point the extra touches and playing down will probably be the better choice

A kid as young as 5-6-7-8-9-10 is a different animal for me. I know they don't check at that level but there is still contact to a degree. Again, all depends on the kid. If he's strong on his skates where he safe along the boards, won't slide in head first for example, and able to avoid a bad hit, maybe.

At 12-13 those kids can shoot the puck too.

Left Behind    0
Left Behind

Does BLOOMY go to Minny

Help me out, LB. How does the low price of oil in Canada affect the Bloomington Thunder. What am I missing?

The owner, although somewhat diversified is an old Alberta Oil guy. The price of oil up here hurt a lot of people. As far as the hockey interests are concerned the WHL franchise is doing okay depending on how you want to read their financials. Bloomy and Amarillo not so good. The NA3HL team takes care of itself, but the BB teams aren't doing great. There are a lot of rumors about getting out of Kevin Constantine's contract in Everett unless they go deep, which BTW could mean Varady would be a prime candidate as he actually lives in Everett and was an assistant there. You told me to behave myself so I won't bother with disputing someone else's coaching assessment as far as Bloomy is concerned. :)

Edited by Left Behind

minor life    2
minor life

A twitter account is trying to gage interest in bringing a team to the state of hockey. Here is a survey they recently put out. https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdU0GsIyaT7XrCJBd_rF8MUmoSPc9K3V0-JRt8bzo0HhIZYsQ/viewform?c=0&w=1

twitter account is: @MNUSHLTeam

This is highly unlikely to be legitimate. The USHL would never allow something like this. Remember the Flint debacle?

minor life    2
minor life

Minnesota now looking unlikely for 2017. Looking like Bloomy may survive one more season before moving. Rumor, nothing confirmed, but several are saying they will be back for one more year.

herbst20    0
herbst20

Minnesota now looking unlikely for 2017. Looking like Bloomy may survive one more season before moving. Rumor, nothing confirmed, but several are saying they will be back for one more year.

Heard the same. I was told Bloomy missed a deadline to withdraw.

Yeti    0
Yeti

Heard the same. I was told Bloomy missed a deadline to withdraw.

If Madison were to want to move to Racine, is there a deadline involved with that decision?