USHL GDT 3/11 (Saturday)

23 replies to this topic

#21 casemagnum

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 750 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 10:52 PM

Ryan is correct. SC can't win the big games. They had 2 chances to help their cause against Chicago and lost both. They also had chances against Waterloo and only helped their cause once.

SC has struggled all year with the PK and can't bury the puck while on the PP. They have the lowest goals against in the league yet are 6th from last in goals for. They just can't get any separation during the game score wise and also can't separate themselves from the opposition in the standings.

When they get in the playoffs they are going to struggle against the better teams and I will include Des Moines in that bunch of good teams. Good teams are going to play physical against them and they will back off. It has been a consistent theme in the playoffs with Varaday at the helm.

They struggle to just clear the puck while on the PK. They want to get fancy with it instead and end up turning it over instead of just dumping it down the ice whether it be up in the air so the other team cannot reach it, down the open middle of the ice or using the boards to their advantage to wrap it down the ice.

I will save rest of comments till later and hopefully that is during playoffs.

Edited by casemagnum, 12 March 2017 - 10:53 PM.

#22 Yeti

Go Stars!

• Global Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,086 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 07:15 AM

Fun, but wild game Saturday night at the IceBox with the Stars taking on the U18's.  Very, very chippy.

First time seeing the U18's this season, and it's a bit of a down year for them.  Still very talented, though.  They pulled the same crap during this game as I've seen them do in others.  Tons of stickwork behind the play, running their mouths, face-washing after every whistle, diving.  During the first period, they were able to get under Lincoln's skin and throw them off their game.  Took a 3-1 lead after twenty minutes.  But the rest of the game the Stars were able to impose their will.  Physically, the Stars just wore them down.  Every opportunity the Stars had, they played the body and that eventually created scoring opportunities.  

Mentioned this on Twitter, but Wisconsin fans are going to love 5'3" (F) Sean Dhooghe.  Former NHL'er Pat Verbeek had the nickname, "Little Ball of Hate," and this kid definitely falls into that category.  Very, very quick and talented.  Isn't afraid to get his nose dirty either.  But he's definitely a pest, and opposing fans will be cursing his name for sure. 

#23 desmoinesduster

Checking Forward

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 03:34 PM

Fun, but wild game Saturday night at the IceBox with the Stars taking on the U18's.  Very, very chippy.

First time seeing the U18's this season, and it's a bit of a down year for them.  Still very talented, though.  They pulled the same crap during this game as I've seen them do in others.  Tons of stickwork behind the play, running their mouths, face-washing after every whistle, diving.  During the first period, they were able to get under Lincoln's skin and throw them off their game.  Took a 3-1 lead after twenty minutes.  But the rest of the game the Stars were able to impose their will.  Physically, the Stars just wore them down.  Every opportunity the Stars had, they played the body and that eventually created scoring opportunities.  

Mentioned this on Twitter, but Wisconsin fans are going to love 5'3" (F) Sean Dhooghe.  Former NHL'er Pat Verbeek had the nickname, "Little Ball of Hate," and this kid definitely falls into that category.  Very, very quick and talented.  Isn't afraid to get his nose dirty either.  But he's definitely a pest, and opposing fans will be cursing his name for sure. 

Wonder if he'll play alongside his brother, Jason, who plays for GB. Sean seems to be more of a sniper, 

#24 Mr Ricochet

Cup Winning Goalie

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,688 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 06:03 PM

I thought of posting that IMO if the U-18's were allowed into the playoffs they would go deep.   This was after seeing them a month ago in Chicago then on Hockey TV twice v WTL 2 weekends ago.   IMO no team in this league can match their speed and if that speed is allowed to get going, through the neutral zone especially, they are more than a handful.   Even if you do slow them up off the rush they are just so quick to pucks and with their skill they can play a maddening possession game.

Simply said two very good teams in CHL and WTL could not handle their speed as the U-18's won all 3 of those tilts.

I meant again to post that it was a helluva win for the Stars Saturday over this group, that I think was 8-2 their last 10 going in.  No doubt after the small sample size I've seen of the Stars to more physical they play the better.   I didn't think they could handle the U-18's speed/skill but they game planned for it, as you say played the body, and got a really nice win. 

IMO that was a bigger win than just the 2 points for LIN.  That's a game to build from.

Crush Em Steel
Blackhawks Rock
RIP Huckleberry. 1995-2009.... Thanks for 14 unforgettable years Huck. You will forever be loved and missed.

Reply to this topic

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users