Team USA (U-17) @ Dubuque

Team USA (U-18) @ Lincoln

Tri City @ Madison

Des Moines @ Omaha

Cedar Rapids @ Sioux Falls

Sioux City @ Waterloo

Crush Em Steel
Blackhawks Rock
RIP Huckleberry. 1995-2009.... Thanks for 14 unforgettable years Huck. You will forever be loved and missed.

#2 Mr Ricochet

Cup Winning Goalie

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,123 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 04:42 PM

Stars Site   U-18's @ Stars Preview

The Under-18 squad is 8-2-0 in its last 10 USHL games. The team is riding a six-game winning streak, going 5/13 on the power play and 16/16 on the penalty kill in its last three games. While Team USA will not play in the Clark Cup Playoffs, the U-18 squad has called up players from the U-17 team as it prepares for the 2017 IIHF Ice Hockey World Championship in April.

Lancers Site   Des Moines @ Lancers preview

Des Moines holds the edge in the season series despite five of the last six games going past regulation. The Bucs have been victorious in four of those five games, with the only victory coming in a 1-0 shootout win on January 28.

Storm Site   Storm at Madison Preview

Saints Site   U-17's @ Saints Preview

With the homestand coming to a close, the Fighting Saints will need to make this a good sendoff before the road trip ahead. The Saints are 2-2-3 in the last seven games on home ice. With a win tonight, they could make a run towards picking up 18 total home wins, which would unfortunately be the lowest wins total at home since the franchise’s rebirth in 2010. Regardless of wins and losses, the Saints have a +12 goal differential, and points in 19 of the 27 games played at home.

Crush Em Steel
Blackhawks Rock
RIP Huckleberry. 1995-2009.... Thanks for 14 unforgettable years Huck. You will forever be loved and missed.

#3 dbqsaints10

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 07:43 PM

Now I know the u17s aren't exactly worldbeaters but 23 to 1 shot advantage after 1 period my god

#4 Saints Fan 22

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 761 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 07:44 PM

Saints lead 2-0 after the first, lead shots on goal 23-1....not including 3 posts the Saints hit.

#5 Ryan

Cup Winning Goalie

• Global Mod
  • 4,376 posts
  • Interests:Musketeers, Avalanche, and USHL hockey.

Posted 11 March 2017 - 09:13 PM

Sioux City forgot to get on the bus after their game in Des Moines last night. 9:18 left in the 3rd, and it's 6-1 Waterloo. Hawks have had 8 power plays so far in this game.

Looks like Waterloo will end the Muskies 9 game win streak.

#6 OmahaHockeyFan

3nd Line Center

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 01:42 AM

Lancers were ok tonight. They had their usual mental breakdowns, but special teams were the difference. Their powerlay is just awful. Even on two man advantages, the only shot attempts they could get off were from the blue line.

Omaha is now one point from officially being knocked out of the playoff race. It'll be the second straight season they failed to qualify and third time in the last five seasons.

#7 casemagnum

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 846 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 06:48 AM

SC flat out got their butt beat. SC has relied on goaltending all season. If a high scoring team comes at them there is not much the goaltender can do. SC special teams are terrible this year and PK has all aspects dialed in on his team as usual. SC better wake up and reevaluate. Too late in the season to fix special teams. The guys showed no pride last night.

#8 Maiden

2nd Line Center

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 10:35 AM

Every team in this league over a 60 game 7 month season is going to have a stinker. It's how you bounce back from said stinker that really matters.

#9 Mr Ricochet

Cup Winning Goalie

• Admin
  • 37,123 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 01:10 PM

Solid complete Steel effort last night.   Besides that the story IMO was the crowd was very good, about 2/3 full, and they were entertained and energetic.  Must have been 3-4 different groups of Jack fans who made the trip as well.  No matter if the fan liked the result they saw some very good hockey as the Steel won 3-0 including the empty netter.  ........

The Steel have big promotions every game, are bringing in school groups, youth hockey teams,  local businesses for giveaways, are advertising in a big way running radio spots on local ESPN radio combined with a winning hockey team that I would say has created a buzz around the team I haven't seen in my 10 years following this franchise......... Dare I say they are effectively planting roots in this community?   Sure looks like a multi pronged strategy that seems to be taking hold.   ....   One helluva job done by this franchise.

Thought this was about as a complete effort as the Steel have in them.   They stifled the high flying Jacks with structure, positioning, depth and just enough finish.   I'm sure coach will point to a few things that could have gone better, the PP being one of them.   When the Jacks weren't getting the puck out the Steel were being way too fine.  .......But IMO if this is the Steel that will compete in the playoffs I'm ready right now.   The roster is healthy, complete and the new adds are being acclimated nicely.

Steel lines stayed the same except looks like Halme was a scratch.   D pairing were juggled and IMO this was the best result I have seen from the defense. 

Chicago SteelVerified account @ChicagoSteel 18h18 hours ago

Your lines for tonight's game. #MUSvsCHI

C6rTH7HWkAAixxZ.jpg
C6rTJu_XUAIWtdZ.jpg
0 replies 0 retweets 2 likes

Muse had Mirageas up with Karashik and they were on the ice pretty much every time Svechnikov and the Jack top line was.  They held the Russian to 2 shots and the D as a whole allowed only 20 shots,   six each in the 1st and 2nd and 8 in the 3rd.  But it was a complete effort as they had a 3rd man high and were able to backcheck away most solid chances the Jacks presented off the rush. 

New guy Mirageas looked much more comfortable pinching and creating while being responsible.   Same with Reilly Walsh who had a beauty feed and primary assist with a feather feed in traffic on the 2nd goal. Thought Aamodt had his best game I've seen and Daschke the same. ....... This defensive group and system is what the Steel had in mind when they put it together, IMO.  Mobile, creative, skilled, IQ and deep.   It just clicked last night.

Jacks did not play poorly they just weren't the better team last night and gave a 60 minute effort.   Add this was their 3rd in 3 after having gone to OT both Thursday and Friday at home vs Bloomy I'm sure they didn't have the jump they would have without the condensed schedule while the Steel had an easy go the night before vs the U-17's. 

Very good night for the Steel franchise and their fans. 

Next weekend sees them play two games.   They host Sioux Falls and visit PK O'Handley, the bells and the Young Arena ocean. 

Crush Em Steel
Blackhawks Rock

#10 Mr Ricochet

Cup Winning Goalie

• Admin
  • 37,123 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 01:28 PM

Every team in this league over a 60 game 7 month season is going to have a stinker. It's how you bounce back from said stinker that really matters.

Indeed, especially at this level.   Watched the SC @ Loo game this morning and no doubt Loo was the better team, created more chances they had one go in off a Musky Dman, one that was a redirect and the best goalie in the league didn't have one of his better games.  Thought he was down early and anchored himself quite a few times.  Just one of those games.

If I'm a SC fan I'm fine with this game.   Despite steamrolling the last 9 games in the win streak they see that can go sideways, and fast.  These kinda games can make the team pay more attention to detail, work harder in practice, be more receptive to coaching and open some eyes and ears......... How has Loo looked after having their 15 game point streak snapped and losing both at the U-18's last weekend, including an 8-3 loss?  A 5-3 win at DBQ and this effort and result vs SC. 

Big win for GB at YT too.   If the Gamblers have any hopes of gaining the #4 spot they had to win last night, and did. 

Crush Em Steel
Blackhawks Rock

#11 Mr Ricochet

Cup Winning Goalie

• Admin
  • 37,123 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 01:31 PM

Lancers were ok tonight. They had their usual mental breakdowns, but special teams were the difference. Their powerlay is just awful. Even on two man advantages, the only shot attempts they could get off were from the blue line.

Omaha is now one point from officially being knocked out of the playoff race. It'll be the second straight season they failed to qualify and third time in the last five seasons.

I see they outshot the blitkrieg attack of DM, 32-18.   IMO the Lancers are fun to watch right now.  They're playing fearless, fast and loose speed hockey.  Sure they have breakdowns but they are entertaining the last few I've seen of them. 

They ain't limping to the finish line, that's for sure..........

Crush Em Steel
Blackhawks Rock

#12 Ryan

Cup Winning Goalie

• Global Mod
  • 4,376 posts
  • Interests:Musketeers, Avalanche, and USHL hockey.

Posted 12 March 2017 - 03:02 PM

Rico, as I don't want to seem alarmed at the SC game last night, it worries me a bit. What happens when they face a quality team like Waterloo in the playoffs? It's one thing to get dominated after winning 9 in a row, but it's also another had they been somewhat competitive and lost. I know it's just one game, but to be the best, you have to beat the best and SC did not do that at any point last night.

I do hope they work harder knowing they're not invincible, but time will tell. Next game will be a big game for them.

#13 desmoinesduster

Checking Forward

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 04:00 PM

I see they outshot the blitzkrieg attack of DM, 32-18.   IMO the Lancers are fun to watch right now.  They're playing fearless, fast and loose speed hockey.  Sure they have breakdowns but they are entertaining the last few I've seen of them. 

Right on. It was a great back and forth game and teams traded goals back and forth. I think both teams had breakdowns, like Ruzickas shot up the boards, to Suchy who had a wide open net.

Bucs last playoff game was in 05-06, when they won the championship. Can't count how many times I've heard the play by play guy say "And with that, the Bucs are mathematically out of the playoffs". From the way this year is going, Buccaneer arena might be open past early April. Exciting stuff looking ahead for the Bucs  :d5:

#14 Mr Ricochet

Cup Winning Goalie

• Admin
  • 37,123 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 04:59 PM

I see they outshot the blitzkrieg attack of DM, 32-18.   IMO the Lancers are fun to watch right now.  They're playing fearless, fast and loose speed hockey.  Sure they have breakdowns but they are entertaining the last few I've seen of them. 

Right on. It was a great back and forth game and teams traded goals back and forth. I think both teams had breakdowns, like Ruzickas shot up the boards, to Suchy who had a wide open net.

Bucs last playoff game was in 05-06, when they won the championship. Can't count how many times I've heard the play by play guy say "And with that, the Bucs are mathematically out of the playoffs". From the way this year is going, Buccaneer arena might be open past early April. Exciting stuff looking ahead for the Bucs  :d5:

Didn't realize it was that long for the Bucs making the playoffs and I thought the 9 year drought for the Steel was bad.   ..... Great feeling to be in, or this close, to making the playoffs for us long suffering fans!! :beers:

Crush Em Steel
Blackhawks Rock

#15 Mr Ricochet

Cup Winning Goalie

• Admin
  • 37,123 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 05:28 PM

Rico, as I don't want to seem alarmed at the SC game last night, it worries me a bit. What happens when they face a quality team like Waterloo in the playoffs? It's one thing to get dominated after winning 9 in a row, but it's also another had they been somewhat competitive and lost. I know it's just one game, but to be the best, you have to beat the best and SC did not do that at any point last night.

I do hope they work harder knowing they're not invincible, but time will tell. Next game will be a big game for them.

Flyin, I ain't ragging on you SC fans for speaking up about the Muskateer loss.   Firstly you guys know your club a helluva lot better than me both strengths and weaknesses... My point is in the long run these can be good games if they are learned from both from the players and coaches.   IIRC the season series ended 2-2 but the first 3 were decided by 1 goal and two were in OT.  So these two clubs are damn near evenly matched. 

As we know hockey is a game of adjustments.   If Varady saw something he'll adjust and prepare his group.  Better now than in April to have a game like this.  ............. I watched the game this morning and was surprised at the boxscore.  The shots were damn near even at 20 but ended up lopsided.   And to be honest with the SD feed and low camera angle it was very tough to gauge what was going on as far as breakdowns or positioning.

I've been evaluating the Steel's shortcomings and what I think they might mean for the playoffs and was gonna ask posters what they thought were their teams' were as well.   I know Case has mentioned the SC special teams is a problem, especially the PP.   But I'm gonna start a thread once the playoff teams are solidified and ask what everyone's concerns about their teams are.

Crush Em Steel
Blackhawks Rock

#16 Mr Ricochet

Cup Winning Goalie

• Admin
  • 37,123 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 06:02 PM

Force with 2 goals in 20 seconds inside of two minutes to start the 2nd.   Crone gets is 4th in 5 games as Swayman can't cover a point shot and Crone knocks it home.  ........ Either Adams or Sendin gathers a shot that never made it to Swayman and wrists it from between the circles, 2-2 2:02 into the 2nd. 

Crush Em Steel
Blackhawks Rock

#17 DMBucshighlights

Cup Winning Goalie

• Members
  • 1,531 posts
  • Interests:hockey!

Posted 12 March 2017 - 06:10 PM

Bucs last playoff game was in 05-06, when they won the championship.

Don't forget about the semifinal team of 2007. We might have gone back to back if Matt Dalton didn't let a harmless shot from the half boards slip through his legs.

I make highlights for the Des Moines Buccaneers. Check me out: http://www.youtube.c...ts?feature=mhee

Twitter: https://twitter.com/DMBucshighlight

Facebook: DMBucshighlights

#18 desmoinesduster

Checking Forward

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 07:39 PM

Didn't realize it was that long for the Bucs making the playoffs and I thought the 9 year drought for the Steel was bad.   ..... Great feeling to be in, or this close, to making the playoffs for us long suffering fans!! 

Steel are 1 point away from best season in their history. They have 71 right now and looking up at 72 from 03-04.

#19 DMBucshighlights

Cup Winning Goalie

• Members
  • 1,531 posts
  • Interests:hockey!

Posted 12 March 2017 - 07:45 PM

I make highlights for the Des Moines Buccaneers. Check me out: http://www.youtube.c...ts?feature=mhee

Twitter: https://twitter.com/DMBucshighlight

Facebook: DMBucshighlights

#20 desmoinesduster

Checking Forward

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 08:14 PM

Terrible giveaway by Parsells to give Omaha their second goal.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users