Photo

Only The Second Black NCAA Goalie In 20 Years Stars Alum Charles Williams Leads NCAA In Save Percentage

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Mr Ricochet

Cup Winning Goalie

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,546 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 09:59 AM

CHN/Tony Jovenetti   Link

“I know how hard these kids work and I want to be able to give them any kind of outlet, whether it’s one kid or 100,” he said. “It will definitely mean a lot to me and that’s something I see myself doing for years down the road.

"I saw those guys reaching out to kids, knowing that these kids want to be just like them. When they see that, it really motivates them. For me, I was watching guys like Ray Emery, Kevin Weekes and recently Wayne Simmonds, Mike Grier, guys like that."

Crush Em Steel
Blackhawks Rock
RIP Huckleberry. 1995-2009.... Thanks for 14 unforgettable years Huck. You will forever be loved and missed.

#2 kwey24

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 808 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 11:17 PM

Good for Charles. I remember when he washed out of the USHL after his first year in Des Moines and had to play a year in the NAHL. His time at Ferris State was ho-hum and his numbers now aren't as impressive when it's factored in that he plays in the Atlantic Conference with Canisius; but, it's still a good story of determination and perseverence.  This should help ensure Charles at least gets some ECHL looks and, at worst, finds a spot in the SPHL if he chooses to pursue such.  Back in his first year with Des Moines, a future in pro hockey was far from a certainty.  At that time, you could appreciate how far he'd gotten considering how late he had started, but you have to perform at the USHL level.

All of this said, throughout his time, I always heard good things about Charles as a kid/person from people who knew him in the USHL or NAHL (I also got to scout Charles before he played in the USHL).  In that regard, it's not entirely surprising to see him persevere like this.

It'd be great to see Charles make the ECHL full-time someday, though, and get to play as him in NHL Hockey by EA Sports.  The only reason my family got NHL 17 for Christmas was that it added the ECHL. It's actually the league my son and I play the most when we face each other.  It's chalk full of USHL guys I scouted back in the day.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users