Sign in to follow this  
Mr Ricochet

USHL GDT 3/3 (Friday Recap)

BackCheck

The Phantoms came up big with a 5-on-3 PK in the 1st and a few kills in the 2nd. Bizgala was unable to cover a puck out of the crease late in the 2nd to make it 1-0 and less than 30 seconds later Alex Esposito makes it 2-0 despite being outshot 21-12 after 2.

Nice!!! I see YT outshot but is MUS getting solid chances?...........Any thoughts on Albrecht so far?...........Any thoughts on my guy Van Whye on the 1st line with the Russian and Alger?

I noticed Van Whye parked in front of the net a lot. Albrecht was pretty active but didn't really accomplish much, but since it shutout I guess you can expect that. Muskegon had a few chances but Kulbakov was at the top of his game tonight. The Phantoms PK really won the night. The last PP for the Jacks, midway through the 3rd, they never got possession in the attack zone, the PK really stifling things in the neutral zone.

Sam Solensky got some ice time. I don't know why he hasn't played more. He's a very good skater, decent vision and not lacking on defense. Britt League is back on the bench to backup Kulbakov, which is a good sign. Kulby played great but that was his 20th straight game played, every game since his suspension in late December, only getting about 13:00 of relief from League back in early January.

Mr Ricochet

Farrance carries it in, dumps, failed rim clear by Palmer, puck ends up to Mismash at left side of net, beauty feed high slot, Barrat unmarked high and wide right side, Farabee deftly grabs rebound off the boards right side of the net, Thome down on his belly, Farabee deftly roofs it with 9 seconds left.

Loo points streak ends at 15 and first regulation loss since Jan 14.

game 2 of back to back tomorrow.

This U-18 is a different one from November. Saw them overwhelm Chicago with their speed a month ago and they did the same to Loo in the 3rd period.

Saints Fan 22

I didn't want to say anything cause I'm afraid I'll sound like one of the Facebook fans I despise, but my God who was that clown wearing the stripes in Dubuque tonight? Just awful. Saints didn't play worth a damn, but jeez

Mr Ricochet

I didn't want to say anything cause I'm afraid I'll sound like one of the Facebook fans I despise, but my God who was that clown wearing the stripes in Dubuque tonight? Just awful. Saints didn't play worth a damn, but jeez

21-17 SOG..... Didn't watch any of it, was it another uneven effort by the Saints? If so can't fault the refs for getting off 21 shots in 64+ minutes vs a team that came in 1-8-0-1 their last 10.

Tough club to figure right now, the Saints. 4-2-4-0 last 10 with a 5 game losing streak and 3 game win streak in that stretch against a schedule that should see them do ok.

Bloomy x2

CR x2

DM x2

MAD x2

OMA

LIN

With 7 of those games at home..........

Mr Ricochet

My first GB game of the season. 5-1 GB almost midway through 3rd. U17 just not good. Cannot clear the puck defensively at all. SOG 34-11 and that may be generous to USA

I may not have heard this correctly but listening to the U-18's vs WTL thought I heard them say 5 of the 17's were called up to the 18's in the last little while....... If so that's depleting the 17's.

herbst20

According to the line chart from last night, 4call ups to the big club last night: Farabee, Wahlstrom, Wise, Samuelsson

Mr Ricochet

Scoreboard

Waterloo 3 @ Team USA (U-18) 4

Muskegon 0 @ Youngstown 3

Madison 3 @ Cedar Rapids 1

Team USA (U-17) 1 @ Green Bay 5

Des Moines 4 @ Omaha 3

Fargo 4 @ Tri City 2

Bloomington 2 @ Dubuque 1 (OT)

Sioux Falls 1 @ Lincoln 3

NTDP Site U-18's erase 3 goal hole, Farabee wins it with 9 seconds left

Caps Site Jerry scores twice as Caps win 3-1 at Cedar Rapids

Bucs Site/Erick Zamora Bucs lose 3 goal lead but extend win streak to 7 with win at Omaha

Lancers Site/Isaac Berky Gallant tear continues, 9 goals in 5 games, but Lancers fall to Des Moines

Storm Site/David Fine Fargo quick starts dooms Storm

Thunder Site Walker Duehr gets OT winner at Dubuque

After Quinn Preston took a penalty with just 2:24 left in overtime, the Thunder (19-23-5, 43 pts) immediately made the Fighting Saints (29-12-7, 65 pts) pay. Off the ensuing faceoff, Versich got a feed from defenseman Wyatt Kalynuk (University of Wisconsin), skated the puck to the high slot and fed Duehr in the left circle. In his second game in a Thunder uniform, Duehr unleashed a one-time blast from the circle that beat Dubuque goaltender Jaxon Castor to give the Thunder their fourth overtime win of the season.

Saints Site/Jordan Kuhns Saints tripped up in OT by Bloomington

Duehr took a pass from Christiano Versich on a set faceoff play at the 4:47 mark of the overtime session and lifted a shot past Jaxon Castor to seal the win for Bloomington. It came after both teams traded chances in the extra session, and just seconds after a Quinn Preston minor penalty in overtime.

Castor kept the Saints tied at one late in the third period with several big saves, including ten-bell stops on Vladislav Dzhioshvili and Versich. He made 15 saves in the losing effort for Dubuque. It snapped a personal three-game winning streak.

Mr Ricochet

Stampede Site/Jim Olander Herd score first but can't hold off Lincoln

The loss was the 11th consecutive for the Herd (0-9-2) and dropped them to 16-25-6 on the season.

The Stars came out firing on the Stampede in the first period, registering 16 shots, but Mikhail Berdin was on top of his game and stopped all 16 shots and keeping the Stars off the board

Lincoln outshot the Herd 13-9 in the third period and 41-27 on the night.

LJS/Tim Gray Stars fire 41 shots in 3-1 win over Sioux Falls

“We played a little bit nervy in the first period,” Hull said. “Although we had 16 shots on net, our offense was a little sporadic.

“I think we settled our nerves as the game wore along. I thought we wore on (Sioux Falls) and wore on them as a team. Our forecheck was relentless and had good physicality.”

LSJ Jacks offense goes cold in 3-0 loss at Youngstown

HockeyPhan.com/Justin Irwin Khulbakov shuts out Muskegon, Phantoms jump ahead of Jacks into 3rd place

Mr Ricochet

According to the line chart from last night, 4call ups to the big club last night: Farabee, Wahlstrom, Wise, Samuelsson

Thanks, herby. Farabee, Wahlstrom and Wise were very good ........... That is a damn fun team to watch and a very entertaining broadcast duo call the game. Informed, objective and funny. ..... I feel safe saying there isn't a faster team in this league, maybe DM is as fast.

Should be a beauty tonight in the second of the back to back. Loo couldn't keep up in the 3rd. The U-18 speed if they are keeping their structure is a handful. Interesting to watch how PK tweaks to counter that speed tonight. They forechecked em well trying to slow the trigger. Maybe a 3rd man high more often, heavier forecheck, 4 in the neutral zone and counter? I have noticed over the years PK will run a few different forecheck schemes in 1 game to confuse.........

Saints Fan 22

21-17 SOG..... Didn't watch any of it, was it another uneven effort by the Saints? If so can't fault the refs for getting off 21 shots in 64+ minutes vs a team that came in 1-8-0-1 their last 10.

Tough club to figure right now, the Saints. 4-2-4-0 last 10 with a 5 game losing streak and 3 game win streak in that stretch against a schedule that should see them do ok.

Bloomy x2

CR x2

DM x2

MAD x2

OMA

LIN

With 7 of those games at home..........

I don't think the Saints played poorly, at least compared to what they were doing 2-3 weeks ago. They weren't great, but good enough to win...but Bloomington played a much different game than the night before. Durflinger was back, safe to say he is nothing but a pest, and he did his typical BS that I know frustrated the Saints.

Saints had good energy, which is really what was missing...but just couldn't get any sustained pressure in the offensive zone. I will say this, it was as an exciting of a game with less than 40SOG as I've seen.

casemagnum

Durflinger really is a good guy and good player. He just being small does a good job at getting under other player's skin and getting in their heads. He won't back down either. Loved him when he played in SC. Just did something stupid with others and coach moved them. I would take him on any of my teams. Yes he will cost you penalties, but he really causes havoc with other teams.

blackhawk64

. So team USA had to call up reinforcements to beat what some people on this form call Americas team?? That's funny

herbst20

. So team USA had to call up reinforcements to beat what some people on this form call Americas team?? That's funny

The U18s do this every year getting ready for the IIFF U18 Championships. This isnt new whether you want to believe they did it to beat "Americas team" or not

Mr Ricochet

Loo is America's team?. Ok. ........... IF the U-18's called kids up just to beat PK my guess would be PK is just fine with that. Don't want your group to get fat and happy with their 15 game point streak.

Great game, great test, great chance for PK to teach and correct...... The games that count begin in April, PK knows that.

blackhawk64

The U18s do this every year getting ready for the IIFF U18 Championships. This isnt new whether you want to believe they did it to beat "Americas team" or not
Yeah I know that the 18 bring up 17s all season I've been around this form for probably 10 years.Just do a lot of not looking not much of a poster anymore. It was sarcasm

TheShow

They are only "America's Team" to me because of Mr. Professionalism Scott Brand.

DMBucshighlights

The Original Zman

For some reason I can't respond to a specific post, but Casemangum, this is in regards to Durflinger. Good player and good motor. Sandpaper. Teams that have him love him. All other teams and their fans hate him. I personally have not seen him stand up for his actions. It didn't occur last season in the playoffs or this season either. I think Gerads would have dropped the gloves with him Friday if he wasn't sitting on the magic fight number. The team can't have him out for a suspension now. And that is assuming Durflinger would do so as well. I suspect he wouldn't.

The officiating in on Thursday was good. The ref didn't allow much of the BS and their was a constant line to the penalty box. Friday was a totally different story. The ref forgot to bring his whistle with him for all but the second period and then with a little over 2 to go in overtime on a very suspect call. It was chippy as I suggested it would get. Especially with Durflinger back in the lineup. And a couple of Thunder players with full cages and/or bubbles seemed to be pretty tough. Easy to be with face protection. (See Team USA).

But the play that really showed how the game got was when Durflinger tried to make a move around Gerads. Gerads stepped up and forced a turnover. Durflinger proceeded to wrap his arm around Gerads' neck. Gerads had enough of him the whole game and suplexed Durflinger to the ice. Only penalty the ref called was a 2 minute minor for an equipment violation on Gerads for playing without a helmet. That isn't even a penalty that I know of. And he didn't play without a helmet. The play was stopped right after this happened and he had no time to skate to the bench. He was being confronted. There is a video on Bardown.com. Titled Hockey player turns heel, suplexes opponent in the middle of a game. If I could figure out how to post the link I would.

Mr Ricochet

For some reason I can't respond to a specific post, but Casemangum, this is in regards to Durflinger. Good player and good motor. Sandpaper. Teams that have him love him. All other teams and their fans hate him. I personally have not seen him stand up for his actions. It didn't occur last season in the playoffs or this season either. I think Gerads would have dropped the gloves with him Friday if he wasn't sitting on the magic fight number. The team can't have him out for a suspension now. And that is assuming Durflinger would do so as well. I suspect he wouldn't.

The officiating in on Thursday was good. The ref didn't allow much of the BS and their was a constant line to the penalty box. Friday was a totally different story. The ref forgot to bring his whistle with him for all but the second period and then with a little over 2 to go in overtime on a very suspect call. It was chippy as I suggested it would get. Especially with Durflinger back in the lineup. And a couple of Thunder players with full cages and/or bubbles seemed to be pretty tough. Easy to be with face protection. (See Team USA).

But the play that really showed how the game got was when Durflinger tried to make a move around Gerads. Gerads stepped up and forced a turnover. Durflinger proceeded to wrap his arm around Gerads' neck. Gerads had enough of him the whole game and suplexed Durflinger to the ice. Only penalty the ref called was a 2 minute minor for an equipment violation on Gerads for playing without a helmet. That isn't even a penalty that I know of. And he didn't play without a helmet. The play was stopped right after this happened and he had no time to skate to the bench. He was being confronted. There is a video on Bardown.com. Titled Hockey player turns heel, suplexes opponent in the middle of a game. If I could figure out how to post the link I would.

Don't see this too often that for sure: http://www.bardown.com/hockey-player-turns-heel-suplexes-opponent-in-the-middle-of-a-game-1.688659

Mr Ricochet

Threw a curveball here, HighLightMan. You took a road trip to Omaha, and they let you film!!..............I always bring up the boxscore of the game you post video of so I can get info of guys who catch my eye but couldn't find OM @ DM and realized the game was at Omaha about two minutes in.......

How'd you like Ralston Arena? .. Steel PBP man Sanderson said last night Ralston is as nice arena has he's worked in and he was doing AHL before he came to the Steel.

As usual, nice work BucMan.

DMBucshighlights

Threw a curveball here, HighLightMan. You took a road trip to Omaha, and they let you film!!..............I always bring up the boxscore of the game you post video of so I can get info of guys who catch my eye but couldn't find OM @ DM and realized the game was at Omaha about two minutes in.......

How'd you like Ralston Arena? .. Steel PBP man Sanderson said last night Ralston is as nice arena has he's worked in and he was doing AHL before he came to the Steel.

As usual, nice work BucMan.

Haha, actually I've been filming in Omaha for years. Go to my YouTube channel and go back through the archives and you can find plenty of games in Omaha.

Kind of a long story as to how that got started. Back when Scott Montesano was the Bucs broadcaster he told me if I ever made a road trip to let him know and he'd work to get permission for me to film. Most of my road trips are to Omaha so Rob Lippolis was the broadcaster at that time and he got used to me being around. Even after Montesano left the Bucs, Rob knew me enough to continue to get me a media pass. This year I introduced myself to Omaha's new broadcaster, Isaac Berky and he's been great with continuing to get me a media pass.

Along the way I've had to learn some rules about being an official media person, such as not cheering in the press box, not wearing my jersey, etc. Rob always told me he would allow me to roam the arena and film from anywhere, so long as I wasn't blocking anyone's view. That way I would have been able to cheer and wear my jersey but the media row gives me the best angle for the whole game so I declined. I don't know if Isaac would give me that same luxury but I don't intend on using it right now so I guess it doesn't matter much.

Ralston is a really nice arena. My only complaint is that concessions prices are kinda high. I've even become friends with a few of the regulars in section 105, which is just across the aisle from where I sit.

Omaha is the only place so far that treats me as an "official" media person. I've also filmed at Lincoln, Cedar Rapids, Chicago (back when they were at the Edge), and Muskegon. Muskegon kinda threw a fit about me filming but I eventually worked it out with the owner at that time (can't remember his name now). All the others just let me film from my seat and didn't seem to care much. The only place I have been told a direct "NO" was in Sioux City. That was a few years ago and I was too naive to ask why but I just accepted it and moved on.

I'll be making another trip to Omaha on Saturday so keep a look out for that video.