• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
207 replies to this topic

#201 minor life

Cup Winning Goalie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,451 posts
  • Interests:Hockey, hunting and fishing. Is there much else?

Posted 07 March 2017 - 04:48 PM

Completely untrue.

There is a difference between someone who plays hockey, and a Hockey Player. which one are you?

#202 Mr Ricochet

Cup Winning Goalie

• Admin
  • 37,285 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 06:10 PM

Jeff Cox @JeffCoxSports  14m

Jeff Nygaard has stepped down as USPHL Commissioner following disagreement with Islanders HC President Richard Gallant.

Hats off to the Commish.   Isles feel they have the power having won 86 championships in a row but it seems the Commish feels he's entrusted to do what's best for the league..... He's not the first or last that walked away or got fired for going toe toe with an owner on behalf of what's best for the whole.  

This is the kind of guy that can take a league to another level, it seems. 

If the Fort Wayne Komets owner, err I mean Isles owner, feels the league is only there for him to win there will be trouble ahead for this fledgling experiment. 

Crush Em Steel
Blackhawks Rock
RIP Huckleberry. 1995-2009.... Thanks for 14 unforgettable years Huck. You will forever be loved and missed.

#203 hydrogyrum

3rd Line Center

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • Interests:Nothing except myself and my entertainment.

Posted 07 March 2017 - 06:24 PM

Hello All!

Let's have a jolt of reality shot into our understanding of the media, especially as it concerns the sports media.

From my experience and knowledge, I know that  newspapers are in business to do one thing: to sell advertisements. To qualify as a "newspaper," the space devoted to ads must be 25% or less. If your publication is over 25% per page, you qualify as a "circular," "shopper," or what-have-you.

This means that even the "best" newspaper is in the business to sell ads. News stories are second in the publishers' (owners') eyes. Reporters are interested in the "story" but must please their employers.

If the Detroit News or Free Press devotes x percent of column inches to the Tigers or Lions or, oh my, the Red Wings, it's because those sports companies have forked over X amount of dollars to require the newsppaer to balance it with 75% of news.

#204 minor life

Cup Winning Goalie

• Members
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 07:03 PM

Jeff Cox @JeffCoxSports  14m

Jeff Nygaard has stepped down as USPHL Commissioner following disagreement with Islanders HC President Richard Gallant.

Hats off to the Commish.   Isles feel they have the power having won 86 championships in a row but it seems the Commish feels he's entrusted to do what's best for the league..... He's not the first or last that walked away or got fired for going toe toe with an owner on behalf of what's best for the whole.  

This is the kind of guy that can take a league to another level, it seems. 

If the Fort Wayne Komets owner, err I mean Isles owner, feels the league is only there for him to win there will be trouble ahead for this fledgling experiment. 

Rico this is NOT what happened. I just spoke to Jeff and neither he or Richard said anything like this.  This is a complete fabrication.  The resignation was for personal reasons which I am not going to discuss publicly.

There is a difference between someone who plays hockey, and a Hockey Player. which one are you?

#205 Mr Ricochet

Cup Winning Goalie

• Admin
  • 37,285 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 07:39 PM

Ok, ML.   So Jeff Cox has this wrong? .........League stats show an Islander was suspended? 

Crush Em Steel
Blackhawks Rock
RIP Huckleberry. 1995-2009.... Thanks for 14 unforgettable years Huck. You will forever be loved and missed.

#206 minor life

Cup Winning Goalie

• Members
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 08:01 PM

Ok, ML.   So Jeff Cox has this wrong? .........League stats show an Islander was suspended? 

Cox has never spoken to Jeff or Richard.  I am sitting in Boston, in Cox's backyard at the USPHL playoffs right now, and no one has spoken to this guy.  An absolute fabrication.  The player was suspended for the off ice issue and charges.  The player was charged with assault and is going through the courts.  Jeff resigned about 2 weeks ago, and it had absolutely nothing to do with the player issue, and nothing to do with Richard Gallant. 

#207 Mr Ricochet

Cup Winning Goalie

• Admin
  • 37,285 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 04:22 AM

Cox has never spoken to Jeff or Richard.  I am sitting in Boston, in Cox's backyard at the USPHL playoffs right now, and no one has spoken to this guy.  An absolute fabrication.  The player was suspended for the off ice issue and charges.  The player was charged with assault and is going through the courts.  Jeff resigned about 2 weeks ago, and it had absolutely nothing to do with the player issue, and nothing to do with Richard Gallant. 

Fair enough ML.   You're there and in contact with those involved...... I'll take your word on this. 

You gonna do a story on the Commish resigning or who's in line to replace him? 

Crush Em Steel
Blackhawks Rock

#208 minor life

Cup Winning Goalie

• Members
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 05:23 AM

One of the reasons I am here.  I will get some photos on my phone and try to get them into an article describing the scouting too.