50 replies to this topic

#41 MSgt

Checking Forward

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts
  • Interests:Hockey, Cycling, Football

Posted 08 March 2017 - 09:46 PM

Being a season ticket holder for Lincoln (since 97'), I received an e-mail today advertising season tickets for 17-18.  I had heard rumors awhile back about Lincoln possibly moving, but this e-mail is promising,

#42 Mr Ricochet

Cup Winning Goalie

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,688 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 06:05 PM

Being a season ticket holder for Lincoln (since 97'), I received an e-mail today advertising season tickets for 17-18.  I had heard rumors awhile back about Lincoln possibly moving, but this e-mail is promising,

Haven't heard this for a couple years, that U of Nebraska would tear down the barn the Stars play in.  Guess that rumor will always exist but is it picking up or the same as always, kinda like a possibility more than a reality?

I guess if you don't own your own arena, at any level, there's always a chance you get kicked out.  But that would cover this whole league except for the Bucs, no?   

Crush Em Steel
Blackhawks Rock
RIP Huckleberry. 1995-2009.... Thanks for 14 unforgettable years Huck. You will forever be loved and missed.

#43 Yeti

Go Stars!

• Global Mod
  • 5,086 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 08:32 AM

Haven't heard this for a couple years, that U of Nebraska would tear down the barn the Stars play in.  Guess that rumor will always exist but is it picking up or the same as always, kinda like a possibility more than a reality?

I guess if you don't own your own arena, at any level, there's always a chance you get kicked out.  But that would cover this whole league except for the Bucs, no?   

This is off topic to Racine, but the Stars have a 35-year lease with the IceBox that runs through 2031.  So unless UNL can break that lease, I doubt the IceBox will be torn down anytime soon.  Those rumors have been flying around for years, but I don't believe there's any truth to them at all.

Older article here in which Stars owner Ryan Schiff is interviewed:

http://journalstar.c...673a0e8737.html

Because that fan base remains loyal, there is concern that a new owner might be interested in moving the team, especially when the owner won’t be based locally. Current USHL franchises previously were based elsewhere include Chicago, Indiana and Tri-City.

The Stars aren’t going anywhere, Schiff said.

“Never,” he said. “The reason I bought this team is the fan base and because of it’s location. I think this is the best location in junior hockey in the United States, and there is no chance I would move this team unless there was some tragic problem with the lease or something that was completely unforeseen. My intent is to honor the entire 35-year lease (with UNL at the Ice Box through 2031) and re-up when it’s done.”

#44 kwey24

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 812 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 12:05 PM

The only thing that would really threaten Lincoln Stars hockey is if the University of Nebraska added NCAA Men's Division 1 hockey, which would not be played at the Ice Box (no way Nebraska would allow a team to play in a building like the Ice Box). Other than that, it have to be a tornado decimating the Ice Box (that'd make national news). 

Bucs owning their arena: May not help if you lose your team.  For the sake of junior hockey in Des Moines (USHL junior hockey in Des Moines), I really hope something gets figured out.  Things in Des Moines could get very complicated with ice time in Des Moines if things go as South as they could (that, or some deals would have to come together very quickly).

#45 Mr Ricochet

Cup Winning Goalie

• Admin
  • 35,688 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 06:08 PM

The only thing that would really threaten Lincoln Stars hockey is if the University of Nebraska added NCAA Men's Division 1 hockey, which would not be played at the Ice Box (no way Nebraska would allow a team to play in a building like the Ice Box). Other than that, it have to be a tornado decimating the Ice Box (that'd make national news). 

Bucs owning their arena: May not help if you lose your team.  For the sake of junior hockey in Des Moines (USHL junior hockey in Des Moines), I really hope something gets figured out.  Things in Des Moines could get very complicated with ice time in Des Moines if things go as South as they could (that, or some deals would have to come together very quickly).

Not following your second paragraph, Kwey........... What is it with Des Moines, ice time, losing your team, getting it figured out?  

Crush Em Steel
Blackhawks Rock
RIP Huckleberry. 1995-2009.... Thanks for 14 unforgettable years Huck. You will forever be loved and missed.

#46 Mr Ricochet

Cup Winning Goalie

• Admin
  • 35,688 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 06:12 PM

This is off topic to Racine, but the Stars have a 35-year lease with the IceBox that runs through 2031.  So unless UNL can break that lease, I doubt the IceBox will be torn down anytime soon.  Those rumors have been flying around for years, but I don't believe there's any truth to them at all.

Older article here in which Stars owner Ryan Schiff is interviewed:

http://journalstar.c...673a0e8737.html

Because that fan base remains loyal, there is concern that a new owner might be interested in moving the team, especially when the owner won’t be based locally. Current USHL franchises previously were based elsewhere include Chicago, Indiana and Tri-City.

The Stars aren’t going anywhere, Schiff said.

“Never,” he said. “The reason I bought this team is the fan base and because of it’s location. I think this is the best location in junior hockey in the United States, and there is no chance I would move this team unless there was some tragic problem with the lease or something that was completely unforeseen. My intent is to honor the entire 35-year lease (with UNL at the Ice Box through 2031) and re-up when it’s done.”

The bolded is funny............... Solid post, Yeti.  

For some reason I was thinking Jon Hull was the owner but he's the Prez/GM.   Found him at Elite Prospects, he played some hockey and was solid enough to be drafted by OHL Sudbury.   http://www.elitepros...p?player=249974

Crush Em Steel
Blackhawks Rock

#47 kwey24

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 812 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 06:28 PM

Not following your second paragraph, Kwey........... What is it with Des Moines, ice time, losing your team, getting it figured out?  

Rico: Rumors are swirling around Des Moines as to the future of the Buccaneers. I've heard everything from going dark, USHL taking control, dropping to NAHL, dropping to NA3HL, or the Bucs somehow continuing as they are.  It's difficult to know how true any of these are or which is the most likely.  All of this is disappointing to hear, as I have seen some improvements to Buc Arena that ice users appreciate (although, losing a locker room to a player lounge was a bummer).  

If the Bucs go dark, I'd be worried about the ice arena continuing to operate.  If Des Moines loses an ice sheet during the winter, that'd be a major, major problem for youth hockey and adult league hockey in the metro.  In such a scenario, the Des Moines Youth Hockey Association might have to swoop in and purchase the arena (it'll be like we've gone back in time).

I wouldn't be opposed to Des Moines having an NA3HL team if the Bucs went dark, though.  The Iowa Wild are cleaning up.  You see Iowa Wild hats everywhere you go.  That's not to say that the Wild don't give away a lot of hats and shirts, but the enthusiasm is there.  If things went down like that, I'd be all for the Iowa Wild AAA program operating an NA3HL team out the arena.  It'd be a logical progression for the Wild AAA midget players who don't move on to Tier II hockey and also give Oak Leaf and Capitals players a Tier III team to play for after high school, too.  You could run an NA3HL team out of Buc Arena that would challenge the North Iowa Bulls.

Still, it'd be very weird not having the Des Moines Buccaneers in town.

#48 gbpuckfan

Cup Winning Goalie

• Members
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 08:21 PM

Many times the owners representative works on behalf of the city as it's agent as the building is built. It's not about the ownership of the USHL franchise
Green Bay Gamblers
Anderson Cup Champions: 1996, 1997, 2009, 2010, 2012
Clark Cup Champions: 1996, 2000, 2010, 2012

#49 jimindm

1st Line Center

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 09:11 AM

KWEY a lot of what you say has been talked about in the halls of bucs arena for a long time.

I have said for a long time that I think the bucs have a pretty good thing going as far as the team owning the arena and everything associated with it. While it is a blessing, it is also a curse.

I can not imagine another team in the USHL that the perks come to them with out a whole bunch of deals. As far as income from the arena side of operations. Meaning concessions, parking, team shop, and the list goes on.

I can not imagine any deal would not include the whole thing. Team and arena. I think that is where the line get blurred. What good is one, with out the other.

What is the value of just one. The arena does sit on a whole block and could easily be knocked down for development. It is not like it is a small endeavor to do that, and then what is the value. Not sure developers are waiting in line to develop that area, for a considerable cost of doing all that. It is not like the building could be repurposed for anything. In the end I think many would agree that it needs some updating. Not just something new, but just making whats there better, hockey or other wise.

I suppose there is value of the team. Not sure how much if it stays in DM and not at that arena. I would guess the best value is to a party that wants to relocate it some where else.

I would guess that the league has many rules about the teams and owners. I would also guess they have some rules about the arenas that teams play in, but not so much the owners of the arenas.

I do not know much about the ownership of much of the teams, but I would guess DM is far down on that list. I think many are very well off and own teams for the love of the sport. They also own them for the tax benefits. While I think few make money, I am sure that is OK with most, as long as it is with in reason. I do not think any want to hemorrhage a load of cash on a sport they love. I do not think that is the case in DM.

There have been quite a few threads on this board about teams and how they operate. You do not have to read many of them to know that even the very basic needs are not being met at bucs arena. The very basics, they can not seem to do.

There is already talk at the arena about spring adult leagues. It appears that the bucs will be in the play offs and they have not had that problem for ice time. Again just poor management.

#50 jimindm

1st Line Center

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 09:43 AM

I would agree with you about what the Wild are doing in the area. They have done so much, and it seems like they are in the news often on community projects that they are involved in.

It is interesting that their name keeps popping up. 

I am not sure many bucs fans would keep going, if the bucs went a way for any reason. I think most are hockey fans, but would likely transition to the wild, before any of the other leagues you mentioned. Again I suppose price would be an incentive with that. It really is not much jump to the wild, but what would be the price point of other leagues. It would have to be lower to get a crowd.

I have to say that I have been surprised that the bucs have never really seemed to want to partner with the wild on much, if at all. As I recall they even severed arrangements with metro ice once the wild showed interest in it.

While I think many USHL team owners have money, I think it is no where near what it takes to have NHL money. That kind of money I think few here could imagine. It can also afford you to do some things that make it look like you are not interested in what you really want.

Does the wild really want a team in racine, or are they just making it look that way?

While I would guess owning a USHL team would be a drop in the bucket for NHL owners. One has to kind of think about the value it would have. If you could partner it with a well run youth hockey program, you could kind of watch some talent come up with in. Even on the coaching level, some former USHL coaches are doing OK at NHL level or the farm system.

One would have to wonder the value of this for an NHL team? It would sort of be like taking an infant and giving them all of the tools to be a star.

When the wild first came in to the area I think they did have some eyes on the bucs. I think the bucs have just kind of overlooked them. Maybe the Wild seen what was happening here and knew they could weather the storm, and see the management sinking the ship. 

All in all it is just a sad deal, what is happening here. I just can not imagine the league wanting to loose a franchise like this. One of the first, one of the longest, one of the most centrally located with in the foot print, and the list goes on. Agreed that the league is much bigger than one team, but still. 

#51 DMBucshighlights

Cup Winning Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,481 posts
  • Interests:hockey!

Posted 14 March 2017 - 10:35 AM

We've been hearing these types of rumors for years though and nothing has happened. I'm not believing anything until someone can provide some solid evidence that anything is going to change with the Bucs. Just hearing someone at the arena say something doesn't necessarily mean its going to happen.

I make highlights for the Des Moines Buccaneers. Check me out: http://www.youtube.c...ts?feature=mhee

Twitter: https://twitter.com/DMBucshighlight

Facebook: DMBucshighlights

Reply to this topic

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users