Sign in to follow this  
gbpuckfan

Racine, WI

gbpuckfan

I can never cut & paste from Arenadigest.com, but it has a story suggesting the USHL could join a Milwaukee Bucks D-League team in a new arena in Racine

Edited by gbpuckfan

MuskiesFan4Ever

And here is the story...

Could USHL Join Bucks in Racine?
By Zach Spedden on August 24, 2016

More details are emerging about a proposed arena in Racine, including potential interest from the USHL.

What has been evident in recent months is that Racine is a contender for a Milwaukee Bucks D-League team. As one of several Wisconsin communities involved in the bidding, Racine is floating a concept for a new arena that would seat 3,800 and include an adjacent 135-room hotel.

This plan has kept Racine in the running for the Bucks, but apparently an unidentified owner from the USHL is monitoring the situation. Should the arena come to fruition, it possible that the USHL could become another tenant, and that is something that Racine County board members are being urged to consider. More from the Racine Journal-Times:

Two tenants would make an arena viable and be a boon to Downtown, drawing an estimated 300,000 people a year with an annual economic impact of $13 million, [international Coliseums Company president Rick] Kozuback said.

“If the building’s managed right, it brings people Downtown,” he said. “The people coming Downtown spend money.”

Kozuback emphasized the facility would be a multi-purpose venue and host other activities — like concerts, trade shows, conventions and conferences — besides sports.

“If it’s going to get built, it has to be able to be flexible so that no one in the community feels like, ‘you’ve forgotten about us,’” he said.

Currently, the arena has an estimated cost–$40 million–and a location at Lake Avenue and Gas Light Drive. However, there are still some questions about how the venue would be funded, which Racine County board members are expected to discuss next week. In addition to Racine, the Bucks are also reported to be considering options in Grand Chute (Appleton/Fox Cities), Oshkosh, and Sheboygan.

gbpuckfan

Minnesota Wild owner says he would help get USHL in Racine, according to Racine Journal Times.

as Arty Johnson would say, "very innnnntersting..."

Mr Ricochet

Minnesota Wild owner says he would help get USHL in Racine, according to Racine Journal Times.

as Arty Johnson would say, "very innnnntersting..."

Is this the same owner who owns a piece of Dubuque? Firstly if true what is the leagues rule on owning a piece of multiple teams and secondly I'm all for another Dubuque run type franchise in the league.

I'd also add I love managable, affordable, realistic 3 or 4,000 seat arenas like the proposed one in Racine is alleged to be. Love to see this happen. Perfect for the USHL footprint.

iowaninja

Falcone is the former Wild owner with a piece of Dubuque. He sold his stake in the Wild a year or so ago

skelc21

Last night I was at my cousins wedding. Sitting at my table was a cousin of the bride from the other side of the family who also happens to work for the Milwaukee Bucks. He told me last night that Racine is out of the running for the D-league which would make me think that any USHL team would not be happening anytime soon. For the Bucks, they are now down to Oshkosh and Sheboygan.

Mr Ricochet

Last night I was at my cousins wedding. Sitting at my table was a cousin of the bride from the other side of the family who also happens to work for the Milwaukee Bucks. He told me last night that Racine is out of the running for the D-league which would make me think that any USHL team would not be happening anytime soon. For the Bucks, they are now down to Oshkosh and Sheboygan.

News sucks, but thanks for sharing..............

gbpuckfan

The Milwaukee Bucks D-League team will go to Oshkosh, not Racine.

But this was in the Racine Mayor's statement about not getting the hoops team:

"We have a commitment for a hockey team and look to add another tenant. Perhaps an indoor football or soccer team would fit the bill."

Mr Ricochet

The Milwaukee Bucks D-League team will go to Oshkosh, not Racine.

But this was in the Racine Mayor's statement about not getting the hoops team:

"We have a commitment for a hockey team and look to add another tenant. Perhaps an indoor football or soccer team would fit the bill."

GB, I listen to 620 AM out of Milwaukee once in awhile and heard this today. But they didn't go into arenas or any mention oof the building they will play in.

Don't like hearing two cities 120 miles a part fighting for such limited resources (tenants for their buildings). Many times both cities fail without enough dates filled for their arena. I see Oshkosh is near Appleton. Do they still draw well for their Midwest League Baseball team?

Where do both cities stand as far as having an arena?

gbpuckfan

As far as I know, Racine's arena is nothing but hopes and dreams. The mayor keeps pushing but doesn't get much cooperation from the council. I could have missed developemnts, but I do not believe a financing plan is in place.

Oshkosh is a done deal for the arena. Will be 3,500 seats, privately funded. Will not have ice, In a spot that has been abandoned industrial space for years. City anxious to help redevelop into a new entertainment and business district. Can't imagine they can actually get it built by fall, but that's what they promised today. All of the City Council approvals have been made.

Oshkosh is about 60,000 people. Go 20 minutes north on I41 and you get to Appleton. The Wisconsin Timber Rattlers play in a suburb, Grand Chute, right along I41. They draw quite well, especially since becoming the Brewers A team a few years ago. Have drawn more than 3500 per game per year for pretty much the last decade. Green Bay is another half hour or so north.

The T Rats certainly draw from GB to Oshkosh. Fond du Lac is another 25 minutes south of Oshkosh, but Oshkosh is on the southern end of the Fox Cities. What will be interesting is how the D-League draws in Oshkosh. There is a D3 college there but this is the first pro team in 30 years to call its own. But, whereas people from GB would go to T Rats on a weeknight, i can't see taking the kids down to Oshkosh - an hour once you get to the arena site (which isnt by the highway) on a school night. So it will need good local support.

There was been talk of an arena near Fox Cities Stadium (the baseball place) that could house USHL. The Gamblers owners would waive territory, I think, to have a close rival. And, frankly, the largest arena in Appleton is at a high school, because Lawrence University has a 900-seat gym. I don't know if the Bucks announcement ends that - and it really wasn;t close to fruition - but I doubt it helps. There are only so many small arena shows to book.But all it takes is one guy with vision & pocketbook, I guess.

Mr Ricochet

As far as I know, Racine's arena is nothing but hopes and dreams. The mayor keeps pushing but doesn't get much cooperation from the council. I could have missed developemnts, but I do not believe a financing plan is in place.

Oshkosh is a done deal for the arena. Will be 3,500 seats, privately funded. Will not have ice, In a spot that has been abandoned industrial space for years. City anxious to help redevelop into a new entertainment and business district. Can't imagine they can actually get it built by fall, but that's what they promised today. All of the City Council approvals have been made.

Oshkosh is about 60,000 people. Go 20 minutes north on I41 and you get to Appleton. The Wisconsin Timber Rattlers play in a suburb, Grand Chute, right along I41. They draw quite well, especially since becoming the Brewers A team a few years ago. Have drawn more than 3500 per game per year for pretty much the last decade. Green Bay is another half hour or so north.

The T Rats certainly draw from GB to Oshkosh. Fond du Lac is another 25 minutes south of Oshkosh, but Oshkosh is on the southern end of the Fox Cities. What will be interesting is how the D-League draws in Oshkosh. There is a D3 college there but this is the first pro team in 30 years to call its own. But, whereas people from GB would go to T Rats on a weeknight, i can't see taking the kids down to Oshkosh - an hour once you get to the arena site (which isnt by the highway) on a school night. So it will need good local support.

There was been talk of an arena near Fox Cities Stadium (the baseball place) that could house USHL. The Gamblers owners would waive territory, I think, to have a close rival. And, frankly, the largest arena in Appleton is at a high school, because Lawrence University has a 900-seat gym. I don't know if the Bucks announcement ends that - and it really wasn;t close to fruition - but I doubt it helps. There are only so many small arena shows to book.But all it takes is one guy with vision & pocketbook, I guess.

I was at Fox Cities Stadium years ago, right around the time A -Rod was playing there. So I can't remember the area other than the stadium was in a sort of desolate spot, the freeway was 1,000 feet or so behind the outfield fence. Thought Appleton was the nearest big city.

looked at a map yesterday and wondered where the best spot for a hockey arena would be....... Crushed to hear no ice will be made at the new digs in Oshkosh. Any reason given why not?

gbpuckfan

A Rod played for the Appleton Foxes at Goodland Field in the last year for the team before the new stadium and branding. He was never a Timber Rattler.

But Grand Chute - where the stadum is - is next to Appleton. Locals would know the difference. Everyone else would just say Appleton. But the Fox Cities is Appleton, Neenah, Menasha, Grand Chute, Kimberly, Little Chute, Combined Locks and a few other municipalities. Some would include Oshkosh in that, some don't. For some statistical things, Appleton-Oshkosh is considered one market. But they each have their own daily newspaper, local news radio, are in separate counties, and so on.

The southern end of the Fox Cities Stadium parking lot has a gravel lot used only for overflow. The thought was the arena could go there, sharing the parking lot for the stadium. They could use a bit more parking overall, and another egress, but since the baseball team sometimes gets 6000+, the lot would be plenty big for a 4,000 seat arena.

As for Oshkosh, I think it's two fold. One, it's a basketball project by basketball people. Two, Oshkosh isn't big enough to support two winter minor-league teams, so they aren't necessarily interested in having competition with a USHL team there. UW-Oshkosh doesn't have hockey, and there must be enough youth hockey space... or least not demand for 3,000 seats,

skelc21

Just saw this as well on Twitter. Gives a nice geographic rival to both Chicago and Madison...you could even throw in Green Bay. I've heard some speculate about them trying to compete with the Milwaukee Admirals AHL, but I think they'll target more South to Kenosha versus North. I haven't seen a timeline for the new area, but I'd bet probably not until the 19-20 season.

I wonder who the actual owner will be. I know Craig Leopold from the Minnesota Wild has been the face of the movement so far to get a team there, but don't know if he will actually be the owner.

Mr Ricochet

Just saw this as well on Twitter. Gives a nice geographic rival to both Chicago and Madison...you could even throw in Green Bay. I've heard some speculate about them trying to compete with the Milwaukee Admirals AHL, but I think they'll target more South to Kenosha versus North. I haven't seen a timeline for the new area, but I'd bet probably not until the 19-20 season.

I wonder who the actual owner will be. I know Craig Leopold from the Minnesota Wild has been the face of the movement so far to get a team there, but don't know if he will actually be the owner.

Couple things I don't understand and I guess it has to do with the who the owner is and of course a timeline for completion.

Hammes Co. of Brookfield was recommended by the development team to serve as the “owner’s representative” for the project to complete phase one of the hotel and events center, including site and building engineering and conceptual design, the city said.

Ok, Hammes has been hired to "represent" the owner. Then here (the headline) it says the City of Racine has hired Hammes.

Why would the city of Racine hire, pay for, a feasibility study for private ownership?

Maiden

Couple things I don't understand and I guess it has to do with the who the owner is and of course a timeline for completion.

Hammes Co. of Brookfield was recommended by the development team to serve as the “owner’s representative” for the project to complete phase one of the hotel and events center, including site and building engineering and conceptual design, the city said.

Ok, Hammes has been hired to "represent" the owner. Then here (the headline) it says the City of Racine has hired Hammes.

Why would the city of Racine hire, pay for, a feasibility study for private ownership?

The city of Racine has a lot to gain from this project also. There is more to this development than just a hockey arena.

Mr Ricochet

The city of Racine has a lot to gain from this project also. There is more to this development than just a hockey arena.

100 mil over 30 yrs is the claim.......... But does Racine risk an army of Scott Walker's bosses wrangling away control of the city cuz they spent tax-payer money or hiring a smear campaign (see Bloomington).

jimindm

It is interesting that Minnesota wild ownership is mentioned. There have been rumors from day one, when they positioned their AHL team to DM, that there was a big interest in the bucs franchise.

One has to kind of wonder if they are the ones behind the Racine deal, what is going on. Is the bucs not for sale, or just to much money, and they are maybe taking a shot at the bucs that they mean business? Sort of if they do not want to deal, we will go else where. Maybe leveraging the bucs that they have plan B, and others are willing to play.

Maybe Bucs is for sale, but they do not want to deal with an arena of that age, and seeing if there are any offers to move the team.

It is just interesting that the wild have been mentioned.

Mr Ricochet

It is interesting that Minnesota wild ownership is mentioned. There have been rumors from day one, when they positioned their AHL team to DM, that there was a big interest in the bucs franchise.

One has to kind of wonder if they are the ones behind the Racine deal, what is going on. Is the bucs not for sale, or just to much money, and they are maybe taking a shot at the bucs that they mean business? Sort of if they do not want to deal, we will go else where. Maybe leveraging the bucs that they have plan B, and others are willing to play.

Maybe Bucs is for sale, but they do not want to deal with an arena of that age, and seeing if there are any offers to move the team.

It is just interesting that the wild have been mentioned.

Last I knew a couple Wild owners were a part of Dubuque ownership. And where are the Wild ownership mentioned anywhere, did I miss something?

jimindm

Post #15 of this thread.Does not say they are, but it sounds like they were leading the way.

"I wonder who the actual owner will be. I know Craig Leopold from the Minnesota Wild has been the face of the movement so far to get a team there, but don't know if he will actually be the owner."

Edited by jimindm

Mr Ricochet

Post #15 of this thread.Does not say they are, but it sounds like they were leading the way.

"I wonder who the actual owner will be. I know Craig Leopold from the Minnesota Wild has been the face of the movement so far to get a team there, but don't know if he will actually be the owner."

Oh, gotchya Jim. Thought you were referring to something that was published somewhere along the line.

SCBlueLiner

Been reading this forum for a while and finally signed up so I could join in on the conversation.

Something I haven't read discussed in this thread and others is where are all these USHL franchises supposed to come from? Here we are talking about Racine, WI. Other cities being talked about when arena or expansion discussions come around are Kansas City, who I believe has been awarded a franchise, Rochester, MN & Coralville, IA. So is the USHL going to expand by four teams? Doubtful. So which cities are at risk of losing their USHL franchises?