Sign in to follow this  
kwey24

ACHA D1 - Major Junior Players

kwey24

Well, to put this to rest, the item was not on the agenda in Naples and, thus, it was not approved (wasn't put on agenda for voting).

In fact, the ACHA D1 members even voted down a proposal to allow ACHA D1 players to have five years of eligibility (keeping it at four). This might have been a recruiting advantage over NCAA programs, but the ACHA member teams decided to stay closer in line with the NCAA.

So, I'm not sure where people were getting info that it was definitely going to imminently pass that the ACHA was going to allow major junior players.

kwey24

An update: the ACHA is going to allow some players who played major juniors (and I actually like the rule that has now been implemented). Players who played major juniors when they were 16 but not after they were 17 will be able to play ACHA hockey without restrictions. Players who play major juniors when 17 are subject to a "residency rule":

"Residency is defined as 365 days from enrollment at the prospective team's university. Student-athlete must also be enrolled and taking the minimum credit requirement as defined by their ACHA division."

So, a player will have to go to school for a year at the university they're going to play for before playing.

Any player who plays major juniors when they're 18 or older are ineligible.

This will not affect many players, but it will allow the player who "made a mistake" when they were 16 to play in the ACHA. Back when I scouted the USHL (at least three games a week), I saw a couple kids pass through who this would have applied to (Ben Van Lare and Tyler Vanscourt).

ACHA CHL Residency Rule: Residency is defined as 365 days from enrollment at the prospective team's university. Student-athlete must also be enrolled and taking the minimum credit requirement as defined by their ACHA division.

Mr Ricochet

An update: the ACHA is going to allow some players who played major juniors (and I actually like the rule that has now been implemented). Players who played major juniors when they were 16 but not after they were 17 will be able to play ACHA hockey without restrictions. Players who play major juniors when 17 are subject to a "residency rule":

"Residency is defined as 365 days from enrollment at the prospective team's university. Student-athlete must also be enrolled and taking the minimum credit requirement as defined by their ACHA division."

So, a player will have to go to school for a year at the university they're going to play for before playing.

Any player who plays major juniors when they're 18 or older are ineligible.

This will not affect many players, but it will allow the player who "made a mistake" when they were 16 to play in the ACHA. Back when I scouted the USHL (at least three games a week), I saw a couple kids pass through who this would have applied to (Ben Van Lare and Tyler Vanscourt).

ACHA CHL Residency Rule: Residency is defined as 365 days from enrollment at the prospective team's university. Student-athlete must also be enrolled and taking the minimum credit requirement as defined by their ACHA division.

Sixteen! There are very few capable of making a choice that's best for HIMSELF at that age. I like the way you worded the bolded, Kwey.