• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

#81 kwey24

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 868 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 06:38 PM

Second team in Toronto:  They could pull it off, eventually, if the Leafs let them...  I still can't believe the expansion fee was $500 million.  That's actually way more than I believe it should have been and I think we'll struggle to find an ownership group that would shell out that much to be a second team in the GTA.  A second Toronto team would take a long time to slowly gather fans.  I mean, the GTA isn't full of people who hate the Leafs just waiting for another NHL team.  No, they're the Cleveland Browns of the NHL.  (Well, not for long--Toronto has some fantastic young talent.)   Believe it or not, Cleveland Browns country extends up into Erie, PA. 

Would be 100 percent against a second team in Chicago.  The balance is just fine with the Hawks, Wolves, and the Steel.  If the Joliet area got an arena, I'd be all for them getting a USHL team or maybe even an ECHL team (or maybe SPHL or FHL).  But, a second NHL team?  No.  Almost the whole state is Hawks territory.  Nobody is going to suddenly switch allegiances to some second Chicago team, especially not right now with the Hawks being the Hawks these days.  (Now, there was a time when the Wolves were almost the 31st NHL team...)

Three teams in New York: And boy I hope the Devils get better soon or we may be talking about a team having to relocate.  How interesting that there is now talk about a new arena again in Long Island.  The Islanders do, indeed, have a following. 

#82 minor life

Cup Winning Goalie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,451 posts
  • Interests:Hockey, hunting and fishing. Is there much else?

Posted 14 August 2017 - 06:56 PM

No second team in the GTA.  Any team proposed for that area would have to purchase territory rights from the Leafs and Sabres.  That price will be cost prohibitive to put it nicely.  Somehwere in the one billion dollar range.

There is a difference between someone who plays hockey, and a Hockey Player. which one are you?

#83 DetroitRocks

2nd Line Center

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 06:04 PM

I agree with KWEY, I think San Diego now becomes an interesting option if a suitable facility becomes available. Big population and no team to compete with in the winter with great, close rivalries. And plenty of money in that area to make it work on all levels. And plenty of players would want to go there as well. 

#84 Maiden

1st Line Center

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 06:41 PM

I agree with KWEY, I think San Diego now becomes an interesting option if a suitable facility becomes available. Big population and no team to compete with in the winter with great, close rivalries. And plenty of money in that area to make it work on all levels. And plenty of players would want to go there as well. 

San Diego supports the Ducks franchise well.

#85 kwey24

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 868 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 06:50 PM

Maiden: To make sure I understand, do you mean they support the San Diego Gulls well (Anaheim's AHL affiliate) or do you mean both the Gulls and the Ducks?

#86 Maiden

1st Line Center

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 07:12 PM

Maiden: To make sure I understand, do you mean they support the San Diego Gulls well (Anaheim's AHL affiliate) or do you mean both the Gulls and the Ducks?

From personal knowledge there are a lot of Ducks fans in the San Diego area who regularly attend home games.

#87 kwey24

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 868 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 07:46 PM

If San Diego ever did end up an NHL team, I'd fully endorse and recommend the team be called the Gulls.  There's just a long history of San Diego Gulls hockey (various leagues, but...).  San Diego would need a new arena, though. There has been a proposed new 18,000 seat arena in Seaport Village. Out of Seattle, Kansas City, Houston, and San Diego, San Diego is the market most ripe for the NHL taking (with the Chargers having moved).  No market I listed is as perfect as San Jose was, or Nashville, Columbus, or even Vegas.  If San Diego were to explore a new NHL-caliber arena, I'm sure the NHL would take some interest and there'd be very good reason for such interest.  (That said, I really, really worry about the $500 million expansion fee being a significant barrier to the NHL expanding further and I do think 32 teams is viable-just watch AHL and KHL hockey if you don't think we can support 32 NHL teams.)

My son ended up with a Gulliver bobblehead (Gulls' mascot), a Gulls sticker, a Gulls towel, and some Gulls hockey cards by attending Marty Wilford's hockey camp in Des Moines this summer.  So, we have a strong Gulls presence now (I have always liked the Gulls back from the early 90's in the IHL)...

Edited by kwey24, 15 August 2017 - 07:48 PM.

#88 Maiden

1st Line Center

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted Yesterday, 07:05 AM

No stadium for the San Diego Chargers = no stadium ever for an NHL team.

#89 Mr Ricochet

Cup Winning Goalie

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,285 posts

Posted Yesterday, 05:54 PM

No stadium for the San Diego Chargers = no stadium ever for an NHL team.

Out of the question to have it privately built?   Thing about the hardliners losing a franchise is after a few yrs with no major league teams they soften a bit.  ...... In other words the landscape may change a bit in 3-4 yrs in San Diego. 

Crush Em Steel
Blackhawks Rock
RIP Huckleberry. 1995-2009.... Thanks for 14 unforgettable years Huck. You will forever be loved and missed.

#90 kwey24

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 868 posts

Posted Yesterday, 06:02 PM

Maiden: The group that and has been looking at San Diego is AEG (Anschutz Entertainment Group).  It was actually part of a much larger potential development.  This article is a year old, but here it is:

http://www.sandiegou...-htmlstory.html

The article, interestingly, cites the Sprint Center in Kansas City as proof no sports team tenant is necessary.