Sign in to follow this  
BackCheck

Possible USHL expansion in Kansas City

gbpuckfan    0
gbpuckfan

ESPN on Kansas City's NHL aspirations:

http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/20312842/nhl-kansas-city-target-future-expansion

The Kansas City Youth Hockey Association was formed in July 2015 by merging six area associations into one governing body. Hunt is one of five members of the executive board. There are plans to build an arena for a junior team in the amateur USHL in Overland Park, Kansas.

kwey24    0
kwey24

KC's NHL aspirations: A horrible idea.

Best leave KC to the ECHL and, potentially, the USHL. It will be a stretch for KC to support both an ECHL and USHL team, although I do believe it is possible.

People may be inclined to cite the Nashville Predators; but, let us not forget that the Predators were established in Nashville BEFORE the Tennessee Titans. Nashville has no MLB team (no disrespect to the AAA baseball team; but, it's not the same). KC has the Chiefs and the Royals (and the Wizards of the MLS) and the University of Kansas.

I noticed San Jose and Columbus are also cited. The Sharks are still the only team from the Big Four (NFL, MLB, NBA, and NHL) in San Jose. They do have the Earthquakes of the MLS and the Earthquakes have a long history of a decent fan base in San Jose, but San Jose is, obviously, a dramatically different situation than KC. San Jose was perfectly timed. Columbus also had no major league sports team outside of the Blue Jackets (MLS team notwithstanding). Columbus does have Ohio State and that's why, between the Blue Jackets and the Buckeyes, there is not room for an NFL, MLB, or NBA team. Their AAA baseball team does quite well, though.

This all factors into why I felt it was imperative that the NHL move into Vegas NOW and I'm glad it played out that way. There's no guarantee Vegas will succeed long term; but, I would have guaranteed failure if the NHL had not beaten the NFL (and maybe the NBA someday, too) to the market.

There aren't, actually, a lot of markets that'd I'd offer up to the NHL as good expansion ideas. Quebec would easily be number one were it not for the fluctuations between the U.S. and Canadian dollar. Outside of that, Seattle would be next, given that Seattle has some history of supporting three teams at one time and the NBA is not there anymore (not to say that Seattle would be guaranteed success). After Seattle, I'd put Houston next, although there are significant complications with Houston. But, Houston is HUGE and there is A LOT of money around Houston. That said, we see how Dallas struggles some with attendance and I'm certain Houston would do no better. So...

In terms of where it would be geographically handy for the NHL to add a team, Seattle is definitely at the top of the list.

Now, were Seattle to gain an NHL team, the future of the Thunderbirds would definitely be in question and possibly even the Silvertips.

One interesting market might actually be San Diego. Now that San Diego has lost the Chargers, and the Padres always suck, there's a base of sports fans there in need of a team. The Chargers didn't move because they had a total lack of fans. Not true at all. Believe it or not, I'd argue for San Diego over Kansas City (although, KC does already have the NHL-caliber arena).

TheShow    0
TheShow

KC's NHL aspirations: A horrible idea.

Best leave KC to the ECHL and, potentially, the USHL. It will be a stretch for KC to support both an ECHL and USHL team, although I do believe it is possible.

People may be inclined to cite the Nashville Predators; but, let us not forget that the Predators were established in Nashville BEFORE the Tennessee Titans. Nashville has no MLB team (no disrespect to the AAA baseball team; but, it's not the same). KC has the Chiefs and the Royals (and the Wizards of the MLS) and the University of Kansas.

I noticed San Jose and Columbus are also cited. The Sharks are still the only team from the Big Four (NFL, MLB, NBA, and NHL) in San Jose. They do have the Earthquakes of the MLS and the Earthquakes have a long history of a decent fan base in San Jose, but San Jose is, obviously, a dramatically different situation than KC. San Jose was perfectly timed. Columbus also had no major league sports team outside of the Blue Jackets (MLS team notwithstanding). Columbus does have Ohio State and that's why, between the Blue Jackets and the Buckeyes, there is not room for an NFL, MLB, or NBA team. Their AAA baseball team does quite well, though.

This all factors into why I felt it was imperative that the NHL move into Vegas NOW and I'm glad it played out that way. There's no guarantee Vegas will succeed long term; but, I would have guaranteed failure if the NHL had not beaten the NFL (and maybe the NBA someday, too) to the market.

There aren't, actually, a lot of markets that'd I'd offer up to the NHL as good expansion ideas. Quebec would easily be number one were it not for the fluctuations between the U.S. and Canadian dollar. Outside of that, Seattle would be next, given that Seattle has some history of supporting three teams at one time and the NBA is not there anymore (not to say that Seattle would be guaranteed success). After Seattle, I'd put Houston next, although there are significant complications with Houston. But, Houston is HUGE and there is A LOT of money around Houston. That said, we see how Dallas struggles some with attendance and I'm certain Houston would do no better. So...

In terms of where it would be geographically handy for the NHL to add a team, Seattle is definitely at the top of the list.

Now, were Seattle to gain an NHL team, the future of the Thunderbirds would definitely be in question and possibly even the Silvertips.

One interesting market might actually be San Diego. Now that San Diego has lost the Chargers, and the Padres always suck, there's a base of sports fans there in need of a team. The Chargers didn't move because they had a total lack of fans. Not true at all. Believe it or not, I'd argue for San Diego over Kansas City (although, KC does already have the NHL-caliber arena).

Columbus is 100% a "strike while the iron is hot" market. The book "Chill Factor" was a great (and fun) read. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00THMCG90/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1

Maiden    2
Maiden

Let's look at major markets.

New York 3 teams, Los Angeles 2.

Why not a second team in Toronto? Chicago? even Montreal?

TheShow    0
TheShow

Let's look at major markets.

New York 3 teams, Los Angeles 2.

Why not a second team in Toronto? Chicago? even Montreal?

I personally would love a second team in GTA. The leafs will die on that sword though.

kwey24    0
kwey24

Second team in Toronto: They could pull it off, eventually, if the Leafs let them... I still can't believe the expansion fee was $500 million. That's actually way more than I believe it should have been and I think we'll struggle to find an ownership group that would shell out that much to be a second team in the GTA. A second Toronto team would take a long time to slowly gather fans. I mean, the GTA isn't full of people who hate the Leafs just waiting for another NHL team. No, they're the Cleveland Browns of the NHL. (Well, not for long--Toronto has some fantastic young talent.) Believe it or not, Cleveland Browns country extends up into Erie, PA.

Would be 100 percent against a second team in Chicago. The balance is just fine with the Hawks, Wolves, and the Steel. If the Joliet area got an arena, I'd be all for them getting a USHL team or maybe even an ECHL team (or maybe SPHL or FHL). But, a second NHL team? No. Almost the whole state is Hawks territory. Nobody is going to suddenly switch allegiances to some second Chicago team, especially not right now with the Hawks being the Hawks these days. (Now, there was a time when the Wolves were almost the 31st NHL team...)

Three teams in New York: And boy I hope the Devils get better soon or we may be talking about a team having to relocate. How interesting that there is now talk about a new arena again in Long Island. The Islanders do, indeed, have a following.

minor life    2
minor life

No second team in the GTA. Any team proposed for that area would have to purchase territory rights from the Leafs and Sabres. That price will be cost prohibitive to put it nicely. Somehwere in the one billion dollar range.

DetroitRocks    0
DetroitRocks

I agree with KWEY, I think San Diego now becomes an interesting option if a suitable facility becomes available. Big population and no team to compete with in the winter with great, close rivalries. And plenty of money in that area to make it work on all levels. And plenty of players would want to go there as well.

Maiden    2
Maiden

I agree with KWEY, I think San Diego now becomes an interesting option if a suitable facility becomes available. Big population and no team to compete with in the winter with great, close rivalries. And plenty of money in that area to make it work on all levels. And plenty of players would want to go there as well.

San Diego supports the Ducks franchise well.

kwey24    0
kwey24

Maiden: To make sure I understand, do you mean they support the San Diego Gulls well (Anaheim's AHL affiliate) or do you mean both the Gulls and the Ducks?

Maiden    2
Maiden

Maiden: To make sure I understand, do you mean they support the San Diego Gulls well (Anaheim's AHL affiliate) or do you mean both the Gulls and the Ducks?

From personal knowledge there are a lot of Ducks fans in the San Diego area who regularly attend home games.

kwey24    0
kwey24

If San Diego ever did end up an NHL team, I'd fully endorse and recommend the team be called the Gulls. There's just a long history of San Diego Gulls hockey (various leagues, but...). San Diego would need a new arena, though. There has been a proposed new 18,000 seat arena in Seaport Village. Out of Seattle, Kansas City, Houston, and San Diego, San Diego is the market most ripe for the NHL taking (with the Chargers having moved). No market I listed is as perfect as San Jose was, or Nashville, Columbus, or even Vegas. If San Diego were to explore a new NHL-caliber arena, I'm sure the NHL would take some interest and there'd be very good reason for such interest. (That said, I really, really worry about the $500 million expansion fee being a significant barrier to the NHL expanding further and I do think 32 teams is viable-just watch AHL and KHL hockey if you don't think we can support 32 NHL teams.)

My son ended up with a Gulliver bobblehead (Gulls' mascot), a Gulls sticker, a Gulls towel, and some Gulls hockey cards by attending Marty Wilford's hockey camp in Des Moines this summer. So, we have a strong Gulls presence now (I have always liked the Gulls back from the early 90's in the IHL)...

Edited by kwey24

Mr Ricochet    3
Mr Ricochet

No stadium for the San Diego Chargers = no stadium ever for an NHL team.

Out of the question to have it privately built? Thing about the hardliners losing a franchise is after a few yrs with no major league teams they soften a bit. ...... In other words the landscape may change a bit in 3-4 yrs in San Diego.

kwey24    0
kwey24

Maiden: The group that and has been looking at San Diego is AEG (Anschutz Entertainment Group). It was actually part of a much larger potential development. This article is a year old, but here it is:

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/entertainment/sdut-seaport-village-could-house-new-san-diego-arena-2016jun26-htmlstory.html

The article, interestingly, cites the Sprint Center in Kansas City as proof no sports team tenant is necessary.