Sign in to follow this  
BackCheck

Possible USHL expansion in Kansas City

minor life    2
minor life

For clarity, I do not believe for one second the USPHL will be an equal to the USHL any time soon if ever at all. I do believe they will steal some USHL players. I believe this because Hockey East, Atlantic, and Ivy schools support the USPHL efforts in order to reduce their NCAA scouting budgets. Some people don't like traveling to remote areas of the country all the time. I also believe they will directly compete with and be better than the NAHL in short order, 36 months is my guestimate. I could be wrong, but then again, I actually travel to watch each league and base my opinion on first hand accounts.

My issue is with the USA Hockey process and the denial that happened. There was a deal to be made to keep the USPHL in the family. The NAHL and USHL ganged up and blocked it from happening because the NAHL is petrified of competition at the Tier II level. The USHL has a vendetta with the USPHL because the USHL did not trademark the USHL brand until after the USPHL announced their new name after changing from the EJHL. Those items are easily researchable and verifiable independently.

To directly comment on the USHL issue under discussion here, there is one USHL team with no lease for next season. Easy enough to find out which team. The same team attendance numbers are bleak to say the least.

One last comment; if the USHL wasn't just a little concerned over the USPHL, Bob Fallon would not calling the USHL "the only sanctioned Tier 1 league" in a recent Tweet. We all know the USHL is Tier 1, why the effort to mention sanctioned? Again, I don't believe the USPHL will overtake the USHL. There is an issue there though. The players will be the ones who decide.

Edited by minor life

Maiden    2
Maiden

In Bob Fallon's defense, the USHL has been using "the only sanctioned Tier 1 league" for quite sometime.

I do think ML has a valid point on eastern recruiting budgets. I just don't agree its Hockey East. Just an opinion.

The USHL will lose some players from the east to the new league; that's inevitable.

I bet even without USA Hockey's blessing the league will become a fixture down the road.

BackCheck    0
BackCheck

Back on the KC expansion. The Overland Park residents are pretty much against them building an arena in the area and more so about using tax money to do it. There is no way at this point it happens in 2017 unless someone pumps in a lot of personal funds and they clear some red tape. For that matter, what happened to the Indiana Ice and the Lyceum Pavilion? Remember the USHL approved them to return to the league there once it was built? Looks like it dropped off the radar after they couldn't find people to back them. I also heard there were some shady things going on with the people involved but the articles I read didn't give a lot of specifics.

In any case, just getting the league to let you in isn't everything. And hey, there is still a sliver of a chance Racine, WI will get an arena for d-league basketball and have some space for a hockey team.

Mr Ricochet    2
Mr Ricochet

Back on the KC expansion. The Overland Park residents are pretty much against them building an arena in the area and more so about using tax money to do it. There is no way at this point it happens in 2017 unless someone pumps in a lot of personal funds and they clear some red tape. For that matter, what happened to the Indiana Ice and the Lyceum Pavilion? Remember the USHL approved them to return to the league there once it was built? Looks like it dropped off the radar after they couldn't find people to back them. I also heard there were some shady things going on with the people involved but the articles I read didn't give a lot of specifics.

In any case, just getting the league to let you in isn't everything. And hey, there is still a sliver of a chance Racine, WI will get an arena for d-league basketball and have some space for a hockey team.

The arena you speak of, was that the one about an our east of Indy? Then the owner was looking to do something big with a multi-purpose arena in a blighted area in Indy to involve minorities in some activities. Think ownership wanted some public funding to help and I haven't heard anything since. That was 2-3 years ago.

Maiden    2
Maiden

With the ECHL Indy Fuel now in town will we ever see the Indiana Ice play another game in that area?

Des Moines has done a great job supporting both the AHL Wild (average attendance nearly 6000) and USHL Buccaneers (2500).

But there is a huge drop off in talent from the AHL to the ECHL.

DM47    0
DM47

Here is a link from August stating the council had approved a tax plan for the development to include the arena.

http://www.kansascity.com/news/local/community/joco-913/overland-park-leawood/article95930982.html

Saw an article saying a restaurant was going to be going in at the BluHawk Development. There webpage does not show much, only one picture showed early dirt work and one one wall up.

http://www.bluhawkkc.com/why-bluhawk/

Maiden    2
Maiden

Lots of discussion in past days that the new Las Vegas Golden Knights are looking at the Chicago Wolves as there AHL affiliate.

If that happens then the St Louis Blues will need to find a new AHL home. Rumors abound that the Blues ownership is in discussion with the Hunt family about starting an AHL team in downtown Kansas City. Kansas City already has an ECHL team so could be some fireworks in the near future.

iowaninja    1
iowaninja

Don't the Hunts own the ECHL team? You'd probably see the Mavericks go up a level if that's the case

BackCheck    0
BackCheck

The arena you speak of, was that the one about an our east of Indy? Then the owner was looking to do something big with a multi-purpose arena in a blighted area in Indy to involve minorities in some activities. Think ownership wanted some public funding to help and I haven't heard anything since. That was 2-3 years ago.

I think that's the one, although I'm re-doing the research and think I may have confused a couple different, or at least conflicting, reports. But in any case, all of them seemed to state things were stalled due to a lack of funding.

However, the Ice's website is now "under construction" where as at least a month ago it was the old website http://www.indianaice.com/

Mr Ricochet    2
Mr Ricochet

I think that's the one, although I'm re-doing the research and think I may have confused a couple different, or at least conflicting, reports. But in any case, all of them seemed to state things were stalled due to a lack of funding.

However, the Ice's website is now "under construction" where as at least a month ago it was the old website http://www.indianaice.com/

Nice catch, 47........... Forget the name of the Indy owner, but that was one hell of an organization. Developed a lot of big leaguers. Love to see that group back in the league.

Lotta hockey in the state. Indy with and ECHL entry, Fort Wayne has the ECHL too and Evansville is A pro SPHL.

iowaninja    1
iowaninja

Skjodt family was the ownership they were a tremendous franchise for the USHL, always had top end talent and fun to watch. They had Ben Blacker on their affiliates list where CR snagged him in the dispersal draft.

hydrogyrum    0
hydrogyrum

Oh man ... I had a lovely response composed but lost it due to login problems.

I wanna say that the ECHL must be doing something right attendance-wise, if Rico's comments are right.... The ECHL has remained while the UHL, AAHL, IHL3, etc. have left this earth. We must listen to this and at the very least consider its wisdom.

What is it that the ECHL is doing right? To be successful, when you aren't successful and are searching for answers, you must look to those who are; they must be doing things right.

This doesn't mean an owner who's willing to suck up losses for a while. It means a franchise owner who's willing to see it out, try new things, until he/she can hit on the right formula for success.

What makes a successful USHL franchise? Attendance? Win/loss record? You tell me. I'm happy to hear you replies. Sure, franchises come and go. But is this an indicator of success on the league level? Methinks not. It just indicates that there are a lot of suckers with a surplus of funds willing to spend on a franchise. How can they make some money on their investment?

(To let you in on my attitude: it's a combo of both. Most major leagues teams, across the sports, don't make a profit. So why should junior hockey? But if you attract a lot of people in attendance and become a part of the community, well I guess you're "successful.")

Maiden    2
Maiden

Most owners of a sports franchise will tell you the only time they make a dime is when they sell that franchise as most increase in value over time.

hackshow22    0
hackshow22

Don't the Hunts own the ECHL team? You'd probably see the Mavericks go up a level if that's the case

Yes, they do.

Maiden    2
Maiden

Been awhile on this subject. Anybody have any news on possible Kansas City team for 17-18?

desmoinesduster    0
desmoinesduster

Been awhile on this subject. Anybody have any news on possible Kansas City team for 17-18?

Any news about KC for the 17-18 season? Missouri Mavericks became Kansas City Mavericks in the ECHL.

BackCheck    0
BackCheck

Any news about KC for the 17-18 season? Missouri Mavericks became Kansas City Mavericks in the ECHL.

Looks like they have purchased a few acres of vacant land near the proposed Overland Park arena site to dig up for fill dirt. However, as of early last month no request had been submitted for the sales tax revenue bonds they were proposing to use to help fiance the project. Everything else still points to a 17-18 entrance so it will probably be in some sort of temporary arena. I'm not familiar enough with the area to comment on where that could possibly be and I remain a little skeptical at this point they'll make it in time for next season.

Maiden    2
Maiden

In 2010 when Dubuque returned to the league as an expansion franchise they participated in the futures and entry draft. They were given the draft spot of the last non playoff team. With Kansas City not partaking in this years draft it looks like the possibilities of an expansion team starting in Kansas City this fall are slim and none. Only possibility would be a relocating franchise.

DM47    0
DM47

So with St. Louis letting the agreement expire with the Chicago Wolves and rumors of Kansas City being the new spot for their AHL team it is looking like the previous talk of the Mavericks moving up to AHL may be true.

Chicago Wolves are now the AHL affiliate for Las Vegas

https://www.nhl.com/goldenknights/news/golden-knights-chicago-wolves-enter-into-ahl-affiliation-agreement/c-289468206

Maiden    2
Maiden

It's very surprising Vegas didn't find a pacific time zone city to host there AHL franchise. Nearly every pacific division team has there AHL affiliate there.

minor life    2
minor life

It's very surprising Vegas didn't find a pacific time zone city to host there AHL franchise. Nearly every pacific division team has there AHL affiliate there.

They were trying to get deals done in Oklahoma City for AHL and Reno for ECHL. Not sure what happened but both obviously fell through.

DM47    0
DM47

I wonder what their problem with Kansas City would be. Sounded to me like they have a growing hockey base there and have added a number of new rinks in the area for youth hockey. Seems like it would be a good location to add.

Maiden    2
Maiden

I wonder what their problem with Kansas City would be. Sounded to me like they have a growing hockey base there and have added a number of new rinks in the area for youth hockey. Seems like it would be a good location to add.

I've heard the NHL is involved with KC possibly being the next expansion franchise.

In addition, the AHL is trying to do everything in there power to get Austin and San Antonio out of the western division. To do that they need to add at least 1 western AHL team in the mix.

Edited by Maiden

DM47    0
DM47

I've heard the NHL is involved with KC possibly being the next expansion franchise.

In addition, the AHL is trying to do everything in there power to get Austin and San Antonio out of the western division. To do that they need to add at least 1 western AHL team in the mix.

I had heard of the movement there to try and attract the NHL, they have had people on NHL radio talking about it a few times. I just didn't know if they NHL really had that much interested in Kansas City, seemed they are so hung up on Seattle with no one showing interested from there.