BackCheck

Possible USHL expansion in Kansas City

BackCheck

I hadn't seen anything on this here, at least not recently, so I thought I'd share this. Take it with the usual grain of salt.

http://www.kansascity.com/news/local/article55801410.html

Among other plans: Hunt said that Kansas City has already secured the rights to add a franchise from the U.S. Hockey League to the area. The USHL, with 17 teams, is the country’s top junior hockey league for amateur players age 20 and under. Securing a team requires a venue with at least 3,500 seats. Hunt said he is working on that, as well.

iowaninja

This is the same guy/group that killed the former Russell Stover AAA (KC Mavs) team in Kansas City last season in favor of high school hockey.

minor life

Should have some info on this next week sometime.

DetroitRocks

How or why did he kill the AAA program? They were probably the weakest program in Tier 1 but I figured in a few years might be competitive. Just wondered why they would get rid of it, no place for a kid with talent to play in that area without moving quite a distance now. Although, they were so bad at the level I watch I did wonder how long they would last.

iowaninja

I don't know all the details, a friend of mine had a son who played on the u16 team and was looking for a new team this offseason, I know Hunt killed the program in favor of other options

MuskiesFan4Ever

Tried a USHL team in Topeka years ago which only lasted something like one or two seasons... Pointstreak only goes back to 2002/2003 season, Topeka finished 2nd in their division and had the 2nd best home record in the league at 23-5-2 that season but still ended up with the worst attendance in the league... averaging 1,732 per home game.

Hopefully things work out better in KC for a USHL team.

Edited by MuskiesFan4Ever

ducktape

I don't know all the details, a friend of mine had a son who played on the u16 team and was looking for a new team this offseason, I know Hunt killed the program in favor of other options

He found a new team and he's been pretty actively playing.

Mr Ricochet

Nice find, David. Thanks for posting..... Do I understand this correctly? A 300 acre project that will include retail, science museums and an arena?

And do I understand this correctly? Within THREE miles the population is 44,000, is growing, and the AVERAGE household income is 149K!! That is exclusive.

Retailers are expected to be attracted to the early phases by the current average annual household income — $149,364 — within a three-mile radius of BluHawk.

But a bulk of the retail, to be located near the heart of the project, is expected to come later as the population within that three-mile radius, currently 44,422, continues to grow.

TheShow

I love that Kansas City is building another venue, after they built one ten years ago that is still ice cold and has never had an anchor tenant.

Granted I'm Kansas City geographic, nor economic expert...but a USHL team isn't really enough of a "draw" to spurn large-scale economic growth in a suburb to justify using taxes to pay for a development, especially a sports arena...a $75M arena at that! Then again, maybe it costs that much to actually build a decent arena, as Fargo has shown that $25M will get you nothing but huge structural/financial issues not even 5 years after opening.

minor life

I was told KC is a high priority market, will have a team within next 24 months.

hydrogyrum

I either read something or saw a TV show a year ago that talked about Kansas (the overall state, not just Kansas City). IIRC, low cost of living, incentives to move there, and the state's active pursuit of people with college degrees coupled with a high income level. So, I hope they'll be ready for hockey in the near future--they gotta spend that loot somehow!

herbst20
Mr Ricochet

Wow this is big and add seemingly adds a hell of an ownership to the league. Fantastic news. Assuming they move right into the Western Conference?

Nice find Herby, thanks for posting. Why are they going to play their first season without the new arena and what are you hearing as to where there home will be for their first year? What are their options, I'm assuming they'll play in Missouri, correct?

Mr Ricochet

I was told KC is a high priority market, will have a team within next 24 months.

Nice call, ML. :airhorn:

atrain

Rico from what I remember in one of the articles is that it stated that the new arena won't be ready till 2018. They have 3 options that I can think of right off the top of my head the Quest Center which would be entirely to large put does have ability to put ice in as it was built when rumors were flying that NY Islanders might relocate to Kansas City, second option would be a newer arena in Independence Mo nice arena sits 6000 to 8000 people if I remember correctly plays home to an echl team sure they could work out something with them, third is an older arena where they use to have a triple AAA club play in Overland Park was never in it but heard the arena was smaller and outdated needed some work. It is only for short term usage so it could probably work. I thought they have missed the boat by not having a team in Kansas City for a long time went to college there in 99 to 01 drove up to Omaha a lot to catch some ushl action when I could. With proper marketing and front office I believe the ushl will be very successful, marketing will have to be similar to Indianapolis I would imagine as your going to have recruit fans in a big college basketball first city. As long as they keep everything reasonable cost wise people will enjoy this I believe in Kansas City even more than the Echl team I believe. Hell I might even consider going back to Kansas City now!

iowaninja

Pretty sure one of the Hunt's own the arena in Independence, that would be the logical choice

minor life

They are building the new arena. Look for another expansion team soon for 2017. They will only expand by two's for scheduling purposes. That is unless, Indy makes it back then you have your second.

DM47

They are building the new arena. Look for another expansion team soon for 2017. They will only expand by two's for scheduling purposes. That is unless, Indy makes it back then you have your second.

Has anything been happening in Indy? There was talk of a team in Bismarck last year on here, I don't see that happening as they are doing well in the NAHL but has there been any more talk of that? I would hope for a closer team to Youngstown so they are not on an island. If there was a second team in that area teams from the west could go out there and play a game against each on the weekend then do two teams in the west on the weekend and get closer to home and home with every team.

BackCheck

Has anything been happening in Indy? There was talk of a team in Bismarck last year on here, I don't see that happening as they are doing well in the NAHL but has there been any more talk of that? I would hope for a closer team to Youngstown so they are not on an island. If there was a second team in that area teams from the west could go out there and play a game against each on the weekend then do two teams in the west on the weekend and get closer to home and home with every team.

Last I saw on Indy, they were eyeing some space for an arena but it sounded like the financing wasn't concrete. I would love to see the Ice back in the league. Another idea to keep the team count even would to drop the NTDP... :deadhorse:

I'm convinced that the USHL is testing the water in the Pittsburgh area. I think having the Fall Classic in Cranberry, PA a second year in a row (in addition to a regular season game there last season) is a good indicator that they're interested in points East of Youngstown. the Johnstown Tomahawks averaged over 2,200 for attendance this year in the NAHL and they're a decent distance from Pittsburgh. I could see a USHL team thriving in some of the close suburbs to the south of the city. Or for that matter, would the Tomahawks be too far East? The league has to expand it's footprint at some point.

minor life

Not testing the water in Pittsburgh from what I am told. Pittsburgh likely to get NAHL team in relocation in next few weeks. Two years ago, there was talk of the Tomahawks swapping franchises with a USHL team but BOG doesnt want the added travel expense out east. Unlikely the USHL ever moves beyond the Mid West footprint.

kwey24

USHL never moving past Midwest footprint: Oh my God, logic might prevail! I felt like I was all alone talking about how I though USHL expansion to the Northeast was a horrible idea. This was back when I was scouting multiple USHL games a week and listening to teams and their complaints about the travel and saying the USHL should try to make sure the teams they have are fine before stretching them even thinner as expenses went up and up and up.

Kansas City has been rumored forever. Fifteen years ago it was supposed to be that Butch Johnson would own a team that'd play in Olathe. I'd be for a USHL team in the western suburbs of Kansas City, Kansas. It'd be all the way across the metro from the Mavericks. I'd hate to see a USHL team negatively affect the Mavericks.

KC will be important to have when Fargo folds...