Possible USHL expansion in Kansas City

74 replies to this topic

#1 BackCheck

2nd Line Center

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 11:55 AM

I hadn't seen anything on this here, at least not recently, so I thought I'd share this. Take it with the usual grain of salt.

http://www.kansascit...le55801410.html

Among other plans: Hunt said that Kansas City has already secured the rights to add a franchise from the U.S. Hockey League to the area. The USHL, with 17 teams, is the country’s top junior hockey league for amateur players age 20 and under. Securing a team requires a venue with at least 3,500 seats. Hunt said he is working on that, as well.

#2 iowaninja

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 12:33 PM

This is the same guy/group that killed the former Russell Stover AAA (KC Mavs)  team in Kansas City last season in favor of high school hockey.  

#3 smalt21

Points Leader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 01:36 PM

delete

Edited by smalt21, 22 January 2016 - 03:32 PM.

#4 minor life

Cup Winning Goalie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,424 posts
  • Interests:Hockey, hunting and fishing. Is there much else?

Posted 22 January 2016 - 04:15 PM

Should have some info on this next week sometime.

There is a difference between someone who plays hockey, and a Hockey Player. which one are you?

#5 DetroitRocks

3nd Line Center

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 23 January 2016 - 09:07 AM

How or why did he kill the AAA program? They were probably the weakest program in Tier 1 but I figured in a few years might be competitive. Just wondered why they would get rid of it, no place for a kid with talent to play in that area without moving quite a distance now. Although, they were so bad at the level I watch I did wonder how long they would last.

#6 iowaninja

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts

Posted 23 January 2016 - 11:45 AM

I don't know all the details, a friend of mine had a son who played on the u16 team and was looking for a new team this offseason, I know Hunt killed the program in favor of other options

#7 Yeti

Go Stars!

• Global Mod
  • 5,187 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 03:12 PM

https://twitter.com/...083655129206785

Andy Strickland  ‏@andystrickland

Lamar Hunt has secured #USHL rights for Kansas City. Plans on building a 3,500-4,000 seat arena

#8 MuskiesFan4Ever

2nd Line Center

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 376 posts
  • Interests:Hockey, Flying

Posted 26 January 2016 - 04:52 PM

Tried a USHL team in Topeka years ago which only lasted something like one or two seasons... Pointstreak only goes back to 2002/2003 season, Topeka finished 2nd in their division and had the 2nd best home record in the league at 23-5-2 that season but still ended up with the worst attendance in the league... averaging 1,732 per home game.

Hopefully things work out better in KC for a USHL team.

Edited by MuskiesFan4Ever, 26 January 2016 - 04:59 PM.

When the tides of life turn against you and the current upsets your boat... don't waste tears on what might have been... just lay on your back and float!

GoMuskies1.gif

#9 ducktape

2nd Line Center

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts
  • Interests:FPS

Posted 27 January 2016 - 10:10 PM

I don't know all the details, a friend of mine had a son who played on the u16 team and was looking for a new team this offseason, I know Hunt killed the program in favor of other options

He found a new team and he's been pretty actively playing.

#10 Davidm199

Points Leader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 03:38 PM

http://www.bizjourna...ar.html?ana=twt

#11 Mr Ricochet

Cup Winning Goalie

• Admin
  • 37,123 posts

Posted 12 March 2016 - 06:07 AM

Nice find, David.   Thanks for posting.....   Do I understand this correctly?   A 300 acre project that will include retail, science museums and an arena?  

And do I understand this correctly?  Within THREE miles the population is 44,000, is growing, and the AVERAGE household income is 149K!!    That is exclusive.

Retailers are expected to be attracted to the early phases by the current average annual household income — $149,364 — within a three-mile radius of BluHawk.

But a bulk of the retail, to be located near the heart of the project, is expected to come later as the population within that three-mile radius, currently 44,422, continues to grow.

Crush Em Steel
Blackhawks Rock
RIP Huckleberry. 1995-2009.... Thanks for 14 unforgettable years Huck. You will forever be loved and missed.

#12 TheShow

Cup Winning Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 12 March 2016 - 07:58 AM

I love that Kansas City is building another venue, after they built one ten years ago that is still ice cold and has never had an anchor tenant.

Granted I'm Kansas City geographic, nor economic expert...but a USHL team isn't really enough of a "draw" to spurn large-scale economic growth in a suburb to justify using taxes to pay for a development, especially a sports arena...a $75M arena at that! Then again, maybe it costs that much to actually build a decent arena, as Fargo has shown that $25M will get you nothing but huge structural/financial issues not even 5 years after opening.

#13 minor life

Cup Winning Goalie

• Members
  • 2,424 posts
  • Interests:Hockey, hunting and fishing. Is there much else?

Posted 13 March 2016 - 05:57 AM

I was told KC is a high priority market, will have a team within next 24 months.

There is a difference between someone who plays hockey, and a Hockey Player. which one are you?

#14 hydrogyrum

3nd Line Center

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • Interests:Nothing except myself and my entertainment.

Posted 13 March 2016 - 07:56 AM

I either read something or saw a TV  show a year ago  that talked about Kansas (the overall state, not just Kansas City). IIRC, low cost of living, incentives to move there, and the state's active pursuit of people with college degrees coupled with a high income level. So, I hope they'll be ready for hockey in the near future--they gotta spend that loot somehow!

#15 herbst20

Cup Winning Goalie

• Admin
  • 3,709 posts

Posted 10 May 2016 - 10:51 PM

Looks like it is still all systems go for Lamar Hunt Jr.  He plans to have USHL hockey in Kansas City for the 2017-2018 season.

http://www.bizjourna...5634&j=73088872

http://www.kansascit...le76872002.html

#16 Mr Ricochet

Cup Winning Goalie

• Admin
  • 37,123 posts

Posted 11 May 2016 - 06:27 PM

Wow this is big and add seemingly adds a hell of an ownership to the league.   Fantastic news.   Assuming they move right into the Western Conference?

Nice find Herby, thanks for posting.   Why are they going to play their first season without the new arena and what are you hearing as to where there home will be for their first year?   What are their options, I'm assuming they'll play in Missouri, correct? 

Crush Em Steel
Blackhawks Rock
RIP Huckleberry. 1995-2009.... Thanks for 14 unforgettable years Huck. You will forever be loved and missed.

#17 Mr Ricochet

Cup Winning Goalie

• Admin
  • 37,123 posts

Posted 11 May 2016 - 06:31 PM

I was told KC is a high priority market, will have a team within next 24 months.

Nice call, ML.  :airhorn:

Crush Em Steel
Blackhawks Rock

#18 atrain

1st Line Center

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 11 May 2016 - 07:06 PM

Rico from what I remember in one of the articles is that it stated that the new arena won't be ready till 2018. They have 3 options that I can think of right off the top of my head the Quest Center which would be entirely to large put does have ability to put ice in as it was built when rumors were flying that NY Islanders might relocate to Kansas City, second option would be a newer arena in Independence Mo nice arena sits 6000 to 8000 people if I remember correctly plays home to an echl team sure they could work out something with them, third is an older arena where they use to have a triple AAA club play in Overland Park was never in it but heard the arena was smaller and outdated needed some work. It is only for short term usage so it could probably work. I thought they have missed the boat by not having a team in Kansas City for a long time went to college there in 99 to 01 drove up to Omaha a lot to catch some ushl action when I could. With proper marketing and front office I believe the ushl will be very successful, marketing will have to be similar to Indianapolis I would imagine as your going to have recruit fans in a big college basketball first city. As long as they keep everything reasonable cost wise people will enjoy this I believe in Kansas City even more than the Echl team I believe. Hell I might even consider going back to Kansas City now!

#19 iowaninja

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts

Posted 11 May 2016 - 07:58 PM

Pretty sure one of the Hunt's own the arena in Independence, that would be the logical choice 

#20 iowaninja

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts

Posted 11 May 2016 - 07:59 PM

Lamar Hunt Jr. does own the Mavericks who play in Independence 

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users